Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

drilling large holes in stone walls

Options
  • 13-09-2007 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭

I need to make some 5 inch holes through the walls of our house. its a stone wall with cement render.

Would i be better off using a 5 inch core drill or making a circle of small holes and joining them up.

I'm not that concerned about time, only about making a clean hole from the outside and not dislodging a large stone and brining a chunk of plaster with it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

How thick is the wall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

diamond core bit if you want a neat job thats the man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

I think sam hire rent a machine for exactly that job it sticks to the wall and you just turn it on and it does the rest .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

foxhunter wrote:
    I think sam hire rent a machine for exactly that job it sticks to the wall and you just turn it on and it does the rest .

some comments:
    this rig, if rentable I believe is water cooled which will require the holes to be drilled from the outside.
    It may also only be TCT teeth and not diamond

I would look at the cost of getting someone to do it for you as my experience with renting this sort of kit is that they charge you for broken or badly worn TCT teeth which can be a bit messy. Diamond bits are rented on the basis of the amount of actual wear.

Depending on the type of stone, eg granite, the wear could be a lot.

see http://theholecompany.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=39

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

My take on this would be that if the wall is thick and you use the multiple hole method, you aren't going to be able to keep the drill bit level for all of the holes, meaning a very messy job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

10-10-20 wrote:
    My take on this would be that if the wall is thick and you use the multiple hole method, you aren't going to be able to keep the drill bit level for all of the holes, meaning a very messy job.

As it's a cement render he could make multiple holes with a hilti drill and chisel ot the hole. He makes the hole slightly ocersize, inserts a 5" plastic pipe cut to size and cements it in. The he finishes off the outside to match the render.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

its a 4 inch pipe, i'm already allowing for the bit of innacuracy. its a dose to get a 4 inch pipe into a 4 inch hole done with a core in concrete so i cant imagine its any easier in stone.

walls not too thick, about a foot or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Heinrich wrote:
    As it's a cement render he could make multiple holes with a hilti drill and chisel ot the hole. He makes the hole slightly ocersize, inserts a 5" plastic pipe cut to size and cements it in. The he finishes off the outside to match the render.

Thats what I did for my extractor fan.

Even if you have a diamond core bit you will need to make the hole larger than required in case you are not level.
    If you are going to make the hole larger you will need to fill it anyway so I would save the expense /hassle of renting a fancy hole bit and do as suggested above.

Advertisement