Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeking Relish or chutney recipes???

• 13-09-2007 11:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

I'm looking for some lovely chutney or relish recipes or maybe even chilli jam or something. Want to get it started to put it in my christmas goody hampers so it has time to mature!!!
    I was told there's a lovely recipe of ballymaloe relish on the internet but cannot find it for the life of me

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Delia Online is a good starting point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/
    has loads of great recipes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm thinking of making this one for Christmas.

Rachel Allen's Spiced Cranberry and Orange Relish

340g cranberries, fresh or frozen
    1 lge pinch ground cinnamon
    1 lge pinch of ground ginger
    Finely grated zest and juice of 1 large orange
    175g of lght muscovado sugar

Put the cranberries, cinnamon, ginger and orange juice in a small saucepan and cook over a low heat, with the lid on, stirring regularly for about 6-7 minutes, until the cranberries have burst. Take off the heat and stir in the grated orange zest and the sugar. Pour into sterilised jars.

Her recipe for Spicy Tomato and Apple Chutney:

http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/573902

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

Think I will do the same although it will be my first time making chutney. I bought gkass jars in tesco that have the spring loaded lid, are these ok to use? They have a kind of rubber seal around the top.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

They're perfect, just wash and dry them well (without the rubber seal on)then put them in the oven at 150 degrees for 10 minutes to sterilise them.
    Or you can put them through a cycle in the dishwasher if you have one.
    It's years since I've made chutney but this one looks fairly simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I'm thinking of making this one for Christmas.

Rachel Allen's Spiced Cranberry and Orange Relish

Does Rachel give any indication how long the Spiced Cranberry will keep if unopened? Can you make it now for Christmas? The sugar should preserve the fruit, but will it keep?

Minder wrote:
    Does Rachel give any indication how long the Spiced Cranberry will keep if unopened? Can you make it now for Christmas? The sugar should preserve the fruit, but will it keep?

She just says it will keep for 'weeks and weeks' in a sterilised jar. It'd probably be wise to hold off on making this one till early December.

Advertisement