Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tests

Options
  • 13-09-2007 11:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have a complete list of tests that are available on BMW dashclocks, and how you perform each one?

I've seen the one where the speedo, rev counter, fuel guage etc all move simultaneously from left to right and all the lights come on. And I've seen the one where the car gives a digital readout of the car's speed(which is the actual speed), and the number of rpm the engine is at.

But what are the others, and does it vary from model to model(eg what ones do E66s do that say E34s don't and vice versa)

On the related topic, don't modern Ford's have tests like this as well? I remember seeing it here on Motors that you can get a Ford to give readouts for speed etc.What are they and how do you get the car to do them?

And lastly, do other cars do it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

E92 wrote:
    On the related topic, don't modern Ford's have tests like this as well? I remember seeing it here on Motors that you can get a Ford to give readouts for speed etc.What are they and how do you get the car to do them?
    Just hold the button on the end of the indicator stalk (the one for the on board computer) in while you turn on the ignition. It'll then do a complete sweep of all the dials, do a warning light test, and you can then scroll through the various options of what to display, including speed. As long as you don't turn the engine off in the meantime, it'll keep displaying this information as you drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭richie_rvf

I have this info on the E39 with Nav;

Turn the key on (engine running/moving is OK, not required)

Press Menu, then Set to enter the Settings screen.

Press-hold the menu button. The display will instantly change back to the menu screen, but keep holding the menu button in for about 15 seconds and you'll get to the Status screen. There are several options there, including "Telematics" which probably only applies if you have the phone option, and Video System which only applies if you have the European model which allows you to watch TV.

The cool stuff is under "GPS" and "Sensors". Once you get to the GPS screen, you choose "Function" to see "tracking info" which will tell you which satellites the GPS is watching at the moment, and how many. Another function shows you the GPS status - lat, lon, speed, etc. It has a spot for Altitude but mine always read 0. Speed is in meters/sec - I believe if you multiply this number by 2.24 you should get MPH.

Under "Sensors" is a really cool little icon that shows you what the gyro is feeling. This screen also reports a single number called "Wheel Sensors" the number was roughly 400 @ 40mph, roughly 300 @ 30 mph.

Richie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭richie_rvf

This is also for the E39 but the instrument cluster is very similar on the E36, E46, E53......

UNLOCK PROCEDURE:

1) Key to ignition pos 2 (no need to start engine).
    2) Fasten the seat belt to get rid of the "Fasten Seat Belt" message.
    3) Press the right button on the instrument panel, and hold it until "TEST-NR. 01" comes up (5 to 10 seconds).
    4) Press the left button on the instrument panel, and the vehicle id comes up (last 7 digits of VIN).
    5) Add up the last 5 digits to get the "unlock code", e.g. the unlock code for "AB12345" would be 15 (1+2+3+4+5).
    6) Repeatedly press the right button until "TEST-NR. 19" appears.
    7) Press left button -> "LOCK : ON"
    8) Repeatedly press left button until "LOCK : xx" appears, where "xx" is your unlock code.
    9. Press the right button. All modes are unlocked now.

NAVIGATING BETWEEN TESTS AND PERFORMING THEM:

- Follow steps 1) to 3) of the "UNLOCK PROCEDURE" to enter test mode.
    - Use the right button to step from test to test.
    - Press the left button to enter a test and cycle between modes within a test.
    - Press and hold the right button to exit test mode (turning the key to 0 works as well).

Here is what I know about the various test modes:

2) Instrument test: Cute light show in the instrument panel. Ever wanted to see the speedo show 190 without having to leave the garage?

3) Don't know.

4) Current fuel consumption in liters per 100 kilometers and in liters per hour.

5) Average fuel consumption in liters per 100 kilometers and range.

6) Current fuel levels in left tank, right tank, and total.

7) Engine temperature, engine RPM, and outside temperature.

8) Current speed in kilometers per hour.

9) Battery voltage.

10) Country.

11) Don't know.

12) Not sure what these are. Could be average speed used to calculate arrival time for distance to destination set in OBC?

13) Sound test. Goes through the various gong sounds.

14) Don't know. Could be some diagnostic codes.

15) Don't know. Looks like a real-time readout of some registers.

16) Oil temperature.

17) Don't know.

18) Doesn't do anything.

19) Locking & unlocking of the test modes.

20) Don't know.

21) Don't know. This test asks you "RESET?". Let me know what it does, if you're brave enough to try it. I'd recommend to stay clear, though.

Have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

E92 wrote:

On fords you keep the trip reset button pressed whenyou turn on the key.

It does the same sort of light show and guage sweeps, also it shoes a digital readout of the true ground speed, as welll as various diagnostic codes relating to the cluster (not any other part of the car).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Thanks for the responses lads.

They sound f**kin class, can't wait to try them sometime:D .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Sorry to the mods to be bumping such an old thread, but since I now have had an E34 520i(digital mileometer) for about 2 months at this stage, and it had completely slipped my mind:D, what do I do in the E34 to get the dash to show up the tests?

Advertisement