Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf V - Cylinder Head

Options
  • 13-09-2007 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Had the car in at the garage this morning (05 -1.4 Golf) and it turns out that it wasn't the coils that were gone at all.

The pressure is down from 14 to 9 Bar in one of the cylinders. Engine head has to be stripped down to see what the problem is. 3 hrs labour to strip and 3 hrs to re-build @ €107 per hour. And that isn't even to fix the problem...

Anyone come across this problem before.

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Healyc

In the Golf Mark IV 1.4petrol the cylinder head valves used to stick a lot. This did cause the engine to misfire and be down on compression. As far as i know the mark V has the same engine.

Anyway should this not be covered under warranty!!!!

How old is the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Healyc wrote:

Anyway should this not be covered under warranty!!!!

How old is the car?

As we're in the latter half of the year the chances are that it is outside warranty - but obviously it may still be covered.

OP : You should ask the dealer to submit a goodwill request - VW may make a 'contribution' to the repairs which could reduce you bill by 50%. If you have had previous repairs carried out that displayed the same symptoms then your chances are greater.

Alternatively, you could call VW Customer Service on 01 409 4444.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

crosstownk wrote:
    As we're in the latter half of the year the chances are that it is outside warranty - but obviously it may still be covered.

OP : You should ask the dealer to submit a goodwill request - VW may make a 'contribution' to the repairs which could reduce you bill by 50%. If you have had previous repairs carried out that displayed the same symptoms then your chances are greater.

Alternatively, you could call VW Customer Service on 01 409 4444.

I'd be a bit sterner than that tbh. A 2005 car should not need major engine work, and should be covered even if the warranty has expired.

People bring court cases for less to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

Thanks for the info folks..

I will be getting back to them and I will let you know of the outcome..

Mike.

Garage came back with a quote of €1,300 to fix the problem.

Asked them go go down the 'goodwill form' route so they are getting back to me.

Any more ideas if this is shot down??? Do I have any actual rights even though the warranty period has extended?

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Healyc

Mike,

Did they say what the problem is?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

maidhc wrote:
    I'd be a bit sterner than that tbh. A 2005 car should not need major engine work, and should be covered even if the warranty has expired.

People bring court cases for less to be honest.

Well, if it was a known fault, they were knowingly selling defective cars.
    Well, all cars have defects and service lifes etc but this seems unacceptable.
    What sort of service history have you got? And how many miles??
    I guess you will need a set of valves, guides, maybe springs and of course all top end gaskets.

Well it's all sorted now.
    Car has a FVWSH.

The garage rang back and said that they are going to cover parts and labour. That's €1,300 saved. I'm glad now that I got them to see if they would cover it.

Fair play. I know it was the right thing for them to do, but technically they need not have...

Don't know exactly what was wrong, think it was oil got into the head... To be honest, I was just glad that they were covering it. I will get into a bit more detail when I collect it.

Thanks for the advice.
    Mike.

Mike2006 wrote:
    Car has a FVWSH.

The garage rang back and said that they are going to cover parts and labour. That's €1,300 saved. I'm glad now that I got them to see if they would cover it.

Wow - you got 100% goodwill - I'd say that's down to the FVWSH. Without it you would have probably been offered 50 - 70%.

crosstownk wrote:
    Wow - you got 100% goodwill - I'd say that's down to the FVWSH. Without it you would have probably been offered 50 - 70%.

In fairness, could you really expect anything less? I would view a "goodwill" gesture as getting the same treatment when the car would be 4-5 years old! All VW are doing in this case is more or less complying with their statutory obligations.

• Advertisement

maidhc wrote:
    In fairness, could you really expect anything less?
    I would have expected less and have seen it on plenty of occasions. If the OP had independent service history then he probably would not have had 100% goodwill applied so easily. Additionally, in the OP's case, the car was probably not long out of warranty and the repairs were substantial and uncommon - VW will take this into account when applying goodwill.
    maidhc wrote:
    I would view a "goodwill" gesture as getting the same treatment when the car would be 4-5 years old!
    After 4-5 years VW would tell you to fcuk right off.
    maidhc wrote:
    All VW are doing in this case is more or less complying with their statutory obligations.

They offer a 2 year, bumper to bumper, unlimited mileage warranty. If the two years lapses then they are within their right to turn you away. Obviously, you can fight your corner (legal or otherwise) and chances are (in the OP's case) that you would win. Motor manufacturers are aware of this and that is why they apply goodwill. But remember, it is goodwill NOT warranty - there is a massive difference. Goodwill is assessed on a case by case basis and is not an entitlement.

crosstownk wrote:
    After 4-5 years VW would tell you to fcuk right off.
    VW probably would, but from my own experience Ford and Toyota are more amenable... toyota in particualr.

maidhc wrote:
    Ford and Toyota are more amenable... toyota in particualr.

I'd agree with that - especially Toyota. If something 'big' goes wrong with a Toyota after that period of time and you take it to a Toyota dealer, you can nearly sense the dealers embarrasment at the fact that fault occurred. But with VW, you get the impression that they'll have a giggle at your misfortune once you cleave the dealership - some VW dealers would probably laugh at you - to your face :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Now that Kia offer a 7-year warranty on the C'eed and even the FIAT group are moving towards a 5-year warranty, these 2-year warranties offered by most European manufacturers seem more and more ridiculous.

I'm glad VW stepped in for you but really, a 2-year warranty doesn't cut it when much cheaper opposition can offer much better cover.

VAG - must do better:(

• Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

crosstownk wrote:
    But with VW, you get the impression that they'll have a giggle at your misfortune once you cleave the dealership
    How big an axe would you have to grind for this? :D

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote:
    How big an axe would you have to grind for this? :D
    :D:D

Ha! I didn't spot that. Some days I feel like wielding an axe in a VW dealership - just to get it off my chest!

Advertisement