Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League 15/16/17 September

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

it'll be a strong team for the CL for the reason he'll have a few days training with them.

today - there has been no training with torres,gerrard,kuyt,babel etc since the internationals, no one who started today played in the midweek matches as far as i know.

they only came back from international duty on thurs evening, then long trip to pompey fri. no time for preperation, its hardly rocket science
    They are professional players, god be with the day when Liverpool won the season using 14 players. I wonder how many of Arsenal's team played during the week? I don't think the problem was the players fitness I think it was Rafa thinking he could beat Portsmouth without starting his best players which is poor judgement imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

it'll be a strong team for the CL for the reason he'll have a few days training with them.

today - there has been no training with torres,gerrard,kuyt,babel etc since the internationals, no one who started today played in the midweek matches as far as i know.

they only came back from international duty on thurs evening, then long trip to pompey fri. no time for preperation, its hardly rocket science
    every team has to cope with that. They're quality players, they should be well able for it if they want to play at the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

should be true over the course of a season, but this weekend is a bit different. Spurs Vs Arsenal 15 minutes? Everton Vs Utd? 30 miles? Pompey Vs Liverpool . . . . . . . . .

again, i aint claiming there is a conspiracy or anything, simply trying to point out the reasons for rafas selection and i agree with him except for Torres

this of course was all in response to a post claiming Rafa doesnt care about the PL

sunderland score again

should their goalie have been sent off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sunderland score again. Reading are really paying for not spending money in the summer.

edit -West Ham are 3 up.

Mike.

BTW- i'm looking forward to seening penalties at every corner and free kick from around the box this season for a slight tug of the shirt.
    should make a very interesting season.

or more likey, we wont see another penalty so something so small for the rest of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

BTW- i'm looking forward to seening penalties at every corner and free kick from around the box this season for a slight tug of the shirt.
    should make a very interesting season.

or more likey, we wont see another penalty so something so small for the rest of the season

slight??

he was dragging him around by the shirt

slight - yes

you see worse than that at every corner and every free in almost every match, baffled as to why a penalty was given for it today, when it wont be for the rest of the season

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ullu

I caught a bit of Sunderland v Reading on the radio (Today FM I think) and Ronnie Whelan made reference to the physical battle between Kenwyne Jones and the "6'5, 17 stone" Andre Bikey.

He would be in France if he was anywhere near that size.

• Advertisement

ullu wrote:
    I caught a bit of Sunderland v Reading on the radio (Today FM I think) and Ronnie Whelan made reference to the physical battle between Kenwyne Jones and the "6'5, 17 stone" Andre Bikey.

He would be in France if he was anywhere near that size.

there was no battle really jones just made an idiot out of him all afternoon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Great save by freidel :eek:

kdjac

Shevchenko just knocked out Samba with a kick in the back of the head, didnt mean but looks very serious.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Looks bad for Samba.

Shevchenko should have done a lot better with the header.

hes still not moving :(

kdjac

Ends 0-0 Poor decision on the goal, still won't complian.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

I'm confused on the disallowed goal for Chelsea. Can someone explain to me why it was onside? Genuine question.

Kalou was in an offside position when the ball was played, and the ball was played forward too. Unless there's been a law brought in that I don't know about, I can't see how it wasn't offside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Exit wrote:
    I'm confused on the disallowed goal for Chelsea. Can someone explain to me why it was onside? Genuine question.

Kalou was in an offside position when the ball was played, and the ball was played forward too. Unless there's been a law brought in that I don't know about, I can't see how it wasn't offside.

He was behind the player that squared it.

Yeah, I just realised that before I read your post :o

Exit wrote:
    Yeah, I just realised that before I read your post :o

are you female?:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

which part are they saying was offside, Belletti when he receives the ball or Kalou when he scores? bizarre decision... but i'm not complaining :D yay for karma.

• Advertisement

ntlbell wrote:
    are you female?:p

Just momentarily dumb :(

Vidic scored a cracking header, thats a superb header to score,

kdjac

good header alright, interview with him after was hilarious, maybe needs to spend a little time working on his english :)

Samba came round in hosptial, was getting food did MOTD show the incident?

kdjac

See Terry giving pederson stick accusing him of diving when it actually should have been a penalty?!Squared up screaming at him, he always does that. hate him for it, the stuff he gets away with cause he's captain of England is a joke.

Giving torres ****e at the game in Anfield as well, guy should learn to shut his mouth and stop accusing people of cheating, especially considering at times over the last couple of seasons he has made more dodgy saves with his hands in chelseas box than most goalies make in a lifetime.

rant over

See Terry giving pederson stick accusing him of diving when it actually should have been a penalty?!Squared up screaming at him, he always does that. hate him for it, the stuff he gets away with cause he's captain of England is a joke.

Shearer commited GBH on a pitch and got away with it due to the england thing.

Its an english league so ehh par for the course really.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

Anyway thats it for Chelsea .......

Man united will win the league now .. unless Liverpool or Arsenal (doubt Arsenal) can continue current form ....

Chelsea are not the same team they were .. even last season they played way better ... and they only finished 2nd .. im predicting a 5th place finish for Chelsea...

Also Belletti is a Joke!!

I wouldn't write anyone off just yet, Arsenal look very good and if Rafa decided to play his best players I think Liverpool for the first time in years could actually push for the title.

irish1 wrote:
    I wouldn't write anyone off just yet, Arsenal look very good and if Rafa decided to play his best players I think Liverpool for the first time in years could actually push for the title.

ok agreed .. but thats Liverpool and Arsenal im saying you can write Chelsea
    off ... maybe they should finish outside top 4 .. give them more reason to win the CL :..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Em Chelsea put a perfectly legitimate goal in the net yesterday. Hardly fair to be writing them off after being robbed of a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Would be silly to write Chelsea off at this stage, Man United are hardly playing great football either but we are grinding out results, which is great to see.
    The one thing that could seriously hamper Chelseas season is African Cup Of Nations, I can see Chelsea really struggling without Drogba and Essien.
    IMO, Man United will finish first, either Liverpool/Arsenal finishing second and Chelsea finishing third.

yea but blackburn had a perfectly legitimate peno not given too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Giving torres ****e at the game in Anfield as well, guy should learn to shut his mouth and stop accusing people of cheating, especially considering at times over the last couple of seasons he has made more dodgy saves with his hands in chelseas box than most goalies make in a lifetime.

rant over

I was going to post something like this myself after the liverpool game you refer to. He gets a way with so much, and i agree with you that it is because he is the england captain.

I wouldn't mind it as much if he wasn't being so hypocritical - considering the antics he gets up to when defending and attacking set pieces.

Man City v Villa:
    Pre-match: Manchester City have switched Croatian defender Vedran Corluka from right-back to centre-half to cover for the suspended Richard Dunne for their Premier League clash at home to Aston Villa.

Nedum Onuoha replaces Corluka in the wide position while Darius Vassell is brought in against his old club in place of Rolando Bianchi.

Stephen Ireland, who controversially withdrew from the Republic of Ireland squad for the game against the Czech Republic in midweek, is not in the squad, with Emile Mpenza brought into Sven-Goran Eriksson's team.

Villa are unchanged from the team which beat Chelsea last time out, with John Carew overcoming a groin injury to retain his place. Loan signing Curtis Davies has to be content with a place on the bench.

Teams:

Man City: Schmeichel, Onuoha, Richards, Corluka, Garrido, Vassell, Johnson, Hamann, Petrov, Mpenza, Elano.
    Subs: Hart, Ball, Bianchi, Jihai, Gelson.

Aston Villa: Carson, Mellberg, Laursen, Knight, Bouma, Agbonlahor, Reo-Coker, Barry, Young, Carew, Moore.
    Subs: Taylor, Davies, Petrov, Gardner, Maloney.

Known Villa after their win against the Chelsea they will more than likely Draw!

Come on the Villa

City look dodgy as **** at the back without Dunne.

keeper doesnt inspire me with confidence either.

kdjac

Citeh!

They are back in second place. Sack Rafa and hire Sven as he clearly understands the Prem. ;)

Mike.

I just see Drogba is probably out for next weeks man utd game ....

jesus im depressed season is already over ... im looking to 08/09 season now!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

don't be so melodramatic, makes you sound like the Arsenal fan in The Fast Show

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Poorest excuse for a fan I've seen, and as a Gooner I've seen quite a few.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Chelsea would still be my bet for the title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

jackdaw wrote:
    I just see Drogba is probably out for next weeks man utd game ....
    He won't be, you can count on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

jackdaw wrote:
    Anyway thats it for Chelsea .......

Also Belletti is a Joke!!

Of course it is, its September and they are a whopping 2 points back. Clearly over!

Beletti had a mixed game, great on the attack, some very good moments defensively but needs to get used to the fact that a lot more balls will go over his head that he is perhaps used to. He will get there, looked very composed at times from my seat anyway.

As for the pederson penalty claim. Give me a break will you. Even the blackburn fans beside us at the bridge were saying it was never a penalty. The ball had already ran out when Mikel hit him. We were a few rows back in the shed right where it happend. He actually roared in disgust when it was running out, then Mikel hit him and he was waving his arms around trying to get a penalty. Thats why the Chelsea players were angry. As I said the two rovers lads beside us were laughing saying ah well worth a shot!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

they dont give out titles in september, jes get a grip

Arsenal are getting the results while not exactly playing aswell as they should.
    Chelsea will either come back strong or fade away....
    liverpool meh..
    United are the team to fear imo. If they click then the rest of the prem should beware

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I don't know, United have not been great, Fergie is making similar mistakes to the 2005 season. Once Rooney/Saha are fit though, that'll stop, but we are light up there, need a bit of luck in the injuries department. Still think we can win the league though.
    Chelsea are a constant threat, but with Drogba and Lampard injured they will drop lots of points. I'm hoping teh African nations are gona hurt them, but I doubt it.
    Liverpool are meh, still don't think they can put together a decent run, if only for the fact that Rafa is doing everything he can to not win the PL.
    Arsenal are scary. They have combined style and an ultimate desire to win. Arsenal have always been a team that scares me, and they are looking ominous this year. With Derby Newcastle and West Ham to come, I think they could get 9 points, and get 8 points clear of either United or Chelsea (depending on their game) by the end of September.

iregk wrote:
    As for the pederson penalty claim. Give me a break will you. The ball had already ran out when Mikel hit him.

If he fouled him it was a penalty, the balls position makes no difference.

i'd view it as a more clear cut incident than the one Bellamy got against Birmingham the other week tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

If he fouled him it was a penalty, the balls position makes no difference.
    Yes it does.

If the ball is out of play the referee cannot award a penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

DesF wrote:
    Yes it does.

If the ball is out of play the referee cannot award a penalty.

The ball wasnt out of play, it was RUNNING out of play, theres a difference. The question you have to ask is, if the same tackle occurred on the half way line would a free have been given? I think it would have, but then again things arent ever that simple for a referee.

On another note, some kick that sheva gave samba. Did any one notice the way Shevchenko lifted samba up while he was unconcious? Thats potentialliy very dangerous isnt it? He could have had a neck injury. Thought youre supposed to put them in the recovery position without moving their head too much. Ah well, he was discharged and is ok so no bother done.

stooge wrote:
    The ball wasnt out of play, it was RUNNING out of play, theres a difference.

Ok there is no point in getting into the argument of if it was outside it would have been a free etc... because we all know there is a difference. Things given outside the box are not given inside and such like.

The fact is and the rules of a penalty are if the ball is out of play its dead and so a penalty cannot be awarded. In this case the ball was on the line, going out of play and the player in question would not have gotten to it in which case it was in part dead. Hence why it was not given.

Now had this tackle occoured just inside the area with nobody else in with a shout of winning the ball then Pedersen would have been deemed to be still in control of the ball and a pen would have been granted and rightly so.

ok des, maybe i should have been more specific, it doesnt matter where the ball is, as long as its in play . . . which it was.

ok des, maybe i should have been more specific, it doesnt matter where the ball is, as long as its in play . . . which it was.

Thats techincally not true either millers. If a ref sees a player has lost control of the ball, i.e. the keeper is taking it in or a defender is moving it out of the box he will not give the penalty as its deemed a lost cause already. Unless of course the ref is Rob Styles, then its anyones guess what will happen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement