Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Information in this email and any attachments is confidential

• 13-09-2007 11:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭

Information in this email and any attachments is confidential and
    intended solely for the use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed
    or otherwise directed.

Does this sort of thing actually mean anything? If someone sends you an email with this jem at the bottom does it actually mean you can't share, copy or show to anyone the email.
    I would think not...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭sh_o

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

If they send confidential information to the wrong person by mistake, I suppose they can argue that it was uninentional and that they made every effort to prevent the information getting into the wrong hands. If financial statements get into the wrong hands, it could be used to argue that they did not publish information about a person's debts to the person who intercepted it.

It could also potentially be used to claim privilege in court, although I doubt this would actually work, unless the letter was written "without prejudice".

To be an effective disclaimer, I think an email should really say: "CONFIDENTIAL FAO: [whoever] ONLY"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

Cheers.

So saying something is intended solely for the person it is addressed doesn't mean that participant can't do what they like with the email once they receive it?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Cheers.

So saying something is intended solely for the person it is addressed doesn't mean that participant can't do what they like with the email once they receive it?

You can't physically stop them from using it however they like, but if a legal or PR problem arose out of it, the original sender of the email could raise points about how they took steps to keep it confidential, and if the person who sends it on is an employee or in a position of trust in relation to the sender, they might have a valid reason for dismissing the employee, repudiating a contract with the trusted person, or even suing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

Alright, cool. Ty.

• Advertisement
Advertisement