Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dirtiest street in the City?

Options
  • 13-09-2007 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭

My vote goes to Phibsboro Road.

Its an absolute rubbish bin, I don't think the council ever clean up this way.

Any other places?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Sheriff St beside the IFSC.
    Rubbish everywhere, are these the "salt of the earth" Dubs I often hear about?

The council houses look lovely but the locals have feck all pride in their area obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Litter bugs are the scourge of this city

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

Marlborough St I work on it! Trying to get through the Junkies is worse than the rubbish though!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

fitzyshea wrote:
    Marlborough St I work on it! Trying to get through the Junkies is worse than the rubbish though!

i have to agree with malborough street

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Little Britain Street, Little Green Street and St Michan's Street are always manky!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Have no idea how you folks are able to narrow it down to just one. No street stands out more than another for me, they're all manky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

It's the road sweepers I feel sorry for.. what a thankless task.

Parnell Street, east end, just up from O'Connell Street, where the buses pull in. Just seems to be constantly covered in rubbish.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Marlborough Street would get my vote too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Kildare Street....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Speaking as someone who drivers over 100,000 Kilometers a year in the city, Marlborough Street gets my vote too. Oh, I include the part of Parnell St. and Foster Place in that too, and the area at the back of Barneys Amusements.

Absolutely sickening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Malborough Street i'd agree with. I hate junkie scum.

Dub13 wrote:
    Kildare Street....;)
    ...although it's free of rubbish for long periods at Christmas, Easter, summer etc. ;)

...then again, we are responsible for that rubbish! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

The title belongs to Moore Street. Sh1te everywhere and smelly. Traders just leave their crap there when they are finished every night. Cardboard, plastic, rotten fruit and veg, fish heads,etc.

wyndham wrote:
    The title belongs to Moore Street. Sh1te everywhere and smelly. Traders just leave their crap there when they are finished every night. Cardboard, plastic, rotten fruit and veg, fish heads,etc.
    I regularly see the 'Corpo' cleaning Moore Street!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Whatever the name of the quay at the mouth of O'Connell street where the 20B, 29A, 31, etc buses go from. There's an alley way on that quay, when you pass that alley the stink of piss is something else

Demonique wrote:
    Whatever the name of the quay at the mouth of O'Connell street where the 20B, 29A, 31, etc buses go from. There's an alley way on that quay, when you pass that alley the stink of piss is something else

Eden quay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭ODS

This is a pretty useful and informative thread. I can see why people say Marlborough St; a major part of the problem is the methadone clinic at the southern end, and that its so close to the one at Tara St/ Pearse St. That said this area is home to 2 govt depts - education on Marlborough st, and environment in the Custom House, so one would think that these anchor users would really have a settleing/ gentrifying effect on the area... Not at the mo, though :(

The thing that does my head in about the state of Marlborough St is this is were a lot of the Dublin Bus airport buses terminate in the city.What a nice first impression that must be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭ODS

Dub13 wrote:
    The thing that does my head in about the state of Marlborough St is this is were a lot of the Dublin Bus airport buses terminate in the city.What a nice first impression that must be.

Yeah its a real disgrace, and it shouldnt be - apart from Dept of Education, there are other heavyweight occupiers/ stakeholders on the street; the RC Pro-Cathedral, The Abbey Theatre, and An Bord Pleanala, to name just three. These are all significant stakeholders and imo have a duty to the area around them, in terms of pushing to ensure that its a functioning environment. :confused:

You are right Dub13 - what a first impression it must make for visitors to the city. there's no excuse :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JoeSchmoe

Mairt wrote:
    Speaking as someone who drivers over 100,000 Kilometers a year in the city, Marlborough Street gets my vote too. Oh, I include the part of Parnell St. and Foster Place in that too, and the area at the back of Barneys Amusements.

Absolutely sickening.

assuming you work a regular 40 hour week and take normal holidays you're driving at about 50km an hour the whole time, who says traffic in the city goes nowhere?

of course you could be working a lot more than 40 hour plus doing a lot of non work related driving too so my calculates are meaningless, but yet I took the time to work it out...... wierd huh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

I would like to add the entire area around the fruit and veg market in the city centre i think its Smithfield but its a kip, everyday I walk by there is rubbish everywhere and the place is destroyed with trucks driving up onto footpaths and knocking over pillars and bollards etc. I wouldn’t mind but isn’t the market owned by Dublin City council!!

Advertisement