Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Wheels

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

They're not bad, not as light as the top of the range mavics or Campags, but not as expensive either. One of the lads in the club (who is a bike mechanic by day) rode them for 2 full seasons for both racing and training and they never skipped a beat. He also moved from Cat C to Cat B in that time and was part of the winning team in the B championships, so they certainley won't hold you back.

But if you are getting them. Get them here..

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=89&idproduct=4203

I just saved you 100 euro, jeez I'm a really great guy ! (Sorry giddy mood here !)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

thanks Quigs.
    I just noticed description for the wheels says they are for 10spd only, but I think my bike is 9spd. Any others from here that you might recommend?

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/showsearchresults.asp?idCategory=89

my setup is all Shimano

P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

a lot of the bikes i've been looking at, approx 2500eur come with mavic aksium (heavy entry level wheelset) and i was thinking i'd pay a few more greens for mavic ksyrium equipe/sl ? worth it? i figure if i'm going to ride a carbon frame their should be a balance of quality across the components and wheelset.

also they look fantastic with aero spokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

ba wrote:
    a lot of the bikes i've been looking at, approx 2500eur come with mavic aksium (heavy entry level wheelset) and i was thinking i'd pay a few more greens for mavic ksyrium equipe/sl ? worth it? i figure if i'm going to ride a carbon frame their should be a balance of quality across the components and wheelset.

also they look fantastic with aero spokes.

I got the Ksyrium Equipe Wheels and i like them there a good strong wheels, they are not my ideal wheels, but they will do until next year. They are the lowest end Ksyrium wheels but still better that the Askiums

Raam, I reckon at around the 500 euro mark you are in a half way house so to speak, you are just under the mark for top wheels. I would be tempted to shell out a bit more and get the Campag Eurus or Kysrium SL's. I am quite taken with the Eurus, they get really great reviews and can be gotten in a Shimano compatible setup.

• Advertisement

Quigs Snr wrote:
    Raam, I reckon at around the 500 euro mark you are in a half way house so to speak, you are just under the mark for top wheels. I would be tempted to shell out a bit more and get the Campag Eurus or Kysrium SL's. I am quite taken with the Eurus, they get really great reviews and can be gotten in a Shimano compatible setup.

Kysrium sl's retail for about €650-700 i think, they are a great set of wheels if had the money at time i would have bought em,

I have a set of Kysrium SL's myself. No complaints, ride very well and have taken one hell of a beating in the past few years without a bother on them. Keep an eye out on the sales.

ordered the Campag Eurus from the superstore. Will report back once I get em. Man I spend far too much money on bike gear. How do I stop?

King Raam wrote:
    ordered the Campag Eurus from the superstore. Will report back once I get em. Man I spend far too much money on bike gear. How do I stop?

nice set of wheels, I ask myself the same question, i have an addiction to buy cycling parts

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

King Raam wrote:

I have a set of these they are the stiffest alloy wheel in the market great when you put the shoe down

• Advertisement

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    I would be tempted to shell out a bit more and get the Campag Eurus or Kysrium SL's.

Thanks for the advice Quigs.
    I got the Krysium SLs in the end as the Campags were taking an age to order. Stuck 'em on the bike last night and they look sweet. Only trouble is, I can't take them out for a test ride as I've been sick for the last week and have been told by the doc not to do anything active for the next two weeks :(
    Totally bugging me as I was meant to go out with Swords CC for the couple of spins they had the other week.

P

All in good time, if there was a good time of year to be ill from a cycling perspective, this is it ! The Ksyriums are nice wheels. They have their detractors i.e. armchair physicists who complain about the non-aero rims etc.... but in reality they are on every second race bike out there ! I have Planet X Pro Carbon 50's, Mavic Cosmic Carbones, American Classic 420's and 5 year old Ksyrium SSC's (the predecessor of the SL), and my one lousy win this year was on the Ksyriums despite all the other wheels being more aero (and in the case of the PlanetX and AM420's, about 15% lighter) !

Advertisement