Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

€10,000 Guaranteed Prize Pool! Sunday 14th Oct,Boyle,Co.Roscommon

• 13-09-2007 1:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

1. Who is running the event (organisation, society etc.) FOUR OF A KIND POKER

2. The purpose of the event (charity, commercial etc.) CHARITY

3. Date and Location of event: SUNDAY 14TH OCT, ST. JOSEPHS HALL, BOYLE, CO.ROSCOMMON

4. Registration and Start time of event. REGISTRATION @3PM, STARTS @4PM

5. Any prerequisites (member of club, society etc) NO

6. How can tickets be purchased & is there a maximum number (in advance, at the door etc.) LIMITED TO 200 PLAYERS. CAN PRE-BOOK OR BUY TICKET AT THE DOOR

7. Type of Tournament (Hold'em/Omaha etc Freezeout/Rebuy etc.) TEXAS HOLD'EM TOURNAMENT
    1 REBUY OR TOP UP ALLOWED

8. Cost of entry and any subsequent rebuys/top-ups etc. €100 ENTRY. 1 REBUY OR TOP-UP AT €100

9. Cost of registration: €20

10. % of entry fee/rebuys/top-up going into Prize fund: €10,000 GUARANTEED ON THE NIGHT

11. Any guarenteed prize pool. YES

12. If applicable, Number of re-buys allowed and over what time frame/blind levels. 1 REBUY ALLOWED UP UNTIL THE TOP-UP TIME OF 3 HOURS IS REACHED.

13. Starting Chips: 10K

14. Rebuy and Top-up chip amounts. 10K

15. Blind levels: 25/50, 50/100, 75/150, 100/200, 150/300, 200/400 (END OF REBUY/TOP-UP STAGE) 300/600, 400/800, 500/100, 800/1500, 1000/2000, 1500/3000, 2000/4000, 3000/6000, 4000/8000, 5000/10000

16. Blind timeframes: 30 MINS UP UNTIL THE TOP-UP HAS ENDED, THEN 25 MINS THEREAFTER

17. Places being paid and if any prizes are other than cash (free entry to other tournie, merchandice etc) 10% OF FIELD

18. Are there going to be dealers - and their level of skill: DEALERS ON FINAL 2/3 TABLES. DEALERS HAVE GREAT EXPERIENCE.

19. Will there be a documented list of rules: YES

20. Is there a tournament director: YES

21. How are disputes handled - who has final say. TD

This is a fundraiser for Roscommon GAA in which we are running on their behalf.

I know a few commented on an earlier post that the above structure would be too long. We will introduce antes if needs be...depending on how many is playing and the pace of the tourney.

I've talked to alot of the regular players that will be playing in this and they are happy with the structure.

I know it might be an issue for those that may travel abit for the event, but I can provide a list and numbers of B+B's for anyone that needs them.

There will be a bar facility in the hall, along with hot food provided at the break stage.

Cash games will also be provided throughout the duration of the event complete with dealer and chips(no cash allowed on table)

There will be €10,000 paid out on the night(Hopefully that will be a minimum if numbers are high enough). It sounds a little "CPT" but its Roscommon GAA that want it this way. We can only promise that the structure will provide plenty of play and will not turn into a crap shoot as we will freeze the blinds as appropriate.

Any questions you can contact Carlo on 0868633592

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

This could be worth a weekend a Roscommon but what does this mean....

7. Type of Tournament (Hold'em/Omaha etc Freezeout/Rebuy etc.) TEXAS HOLD'EM TOURNAMENT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭carfax

Any chance you can put this tournament back by one week Carlo?

I would defo play if I was in the country on the 14th.

I'll give a big announcement about it at the IPO on the 6th about it if thats any good.

Looks like a brilliant structure and hope you make the guarantee (you should do the guarantee subject to 50 players taking part :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Flushdraw wrote:
    This could be worth a weekend a Roscommon but what does this mean....

sorry for the confusion....your allowed to rebuy OR top up once. so the minimum a player could spend is €120 and the max is €220.

carfax wrote:
    Any chance you can put this tournament back by one week Carlo?

I would defo play if I was in the country on the 14th.

I'll give a big announcement about it at the IPO on the 6th about it if thats any good.

Looks like a brilliant structure and hope you make the guarantee (you should do the guarantee subject to 50 players taking part :).

Hey Steven,
    The date has been set in stone and the posters and signs have also been distributed. The radio and newspaper adverts are also gone in.

It was initially set for the week before the IPO but we told the GAA crowd that we would'nt run it went before the IPO, so they changed it until the week after.

That would be great if you could make an announcement up in Dublin. Its the Roscommon GAA who are footing the €10,000 guarantee, so if they don't make it, well then thats too bad for them. We told them that we'd stick up posters, signs etc.. for the event but that they can sort out the newspaper, radio adverts. They've been rimming it lately with demands and the like. But one thing for sure is that if we get 100+ players and there are sufficient rebuys/top ups, then there will be more than just €10,000 given out. I told the committee that last week and they did'nt like it, but accepted it. Otherwise I said we'd pull out of it altogether as we did'nt want to do a CPT job on it.

But yeah the structure may be a little slow for the "non-poker playing players" but we want to give as good a game as we can considering its a 1 rebuy or top up event.

If we think the blinds need to be frozen, then they will be. As you know, like yourself, we try and provide a structure for a tourney that we'd appreciate if we were to play in it ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

sorry for the confusion....your allowed to rebuy OR top up once. so the minimum a player could spend is €120 and the max is €220.

And the Omaha reference?? Is this a round of each?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

he's just copying and pasting the charter and filling it in
    7. Type of Tournament question(Hold'em/Omaha etc Freezeout/Rebuy etc.)suggested answer

DeadParrot wrote:
    he's just copying and pasting the charter and filling it in
    7. Type of Tournament question(Hold'em/Omaha etc Freezeout/Rebuy etc.)suggested answer

yes thank you for clearing that up. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Conspicuous

You reitterate the point that the tournament has a guaranteed prize fund of 10k but you dont answer this question

10. % of entry fee/rebuys/top-up going into Prize fund:?

which is very important to most poker players. Also for tournament of this size you should be providing trained dealers to all tables from the start imho

You reitterate the point that the tournament has a guaranteed prize fund of 10k but you dont answer this question

10. % of entry fee/rebuys/top-up going into Prize fund:?

which is very important to most poker players. Also for tournament of this size you should be providing trained dealers to all tables from the start imho

I've given out all the information that we currently have available to us. €10k minimum given out.

Providing dealers at every table is just not possible for us. Where do we get them? Would you like to deal? We'll pay ya €20 an hour to sit and deal for maybe 7/8 hours. Have you ever played in a Celtic Poker Tour event?

I've given out all the information that we currently have available to us. €10k minimum given out.

Providing dealers at every table is just not possible for us. Where do we get them? Would you like to deal? We'll pay ya €20 an hour to sit and deal for maybe 7/8 hours. Have you ever played in a Celtic Poker Tour event?

:rolleyes: Youre absolutely priceless. I ask you some questions about your event and you get defensive and beligerant. Some businessman you are. You still havnt answered my question as to how much of the cash taken in will go into the prizpool. If 12.5k is taken in will you still only pay out 10k? You really havnt clarified this matter. As regards dealers no I dont want to deal and neither do I know where you are going to get dealers. To be quite frank I find it quite childish that you would come back with such an ill tempered retort. It is your resonsibility as the organiser of this event to ensure that it runs smoothly and professionally. This involves providing trained dealers like any other well run event, believe it or not. Finally no I havnt played in any CPT events yet, and if the response I got to my initial enquiries is anything to go by then I probably wont bother.

• Advertisement

:rolleyes: Youre absolutely priceless. I ask you some questions about your event and you get defensive and beligerant. Some businessman you are. You still havnt answered my question as to how much of the cash taken in will go into the prizpool. If 12.5k is taken in will you still only pay out 10k? You really havnt clarified this matter. As regards dealers no I dont want to deal and neither do I know where you are going to get dealers. To be quite frank I find it quite childish that you would come back with such an ill tempered retort. It is your resonsibility as the organiser of this event to ensure that it runs smoothly and professionally. This involves providing trained dealers like any other well run event, believe it or not. Finally no I havnt played in any CPT events yet, and if the response I got to my initial enquiries is anything to go by then I probably wont bother.

lol. you are quiet the live wire are'nt ya. :)

Ok so presuming you read the full initail post...its a Fundraiser for the Roscommon GAA. They've put up the guarantee of €10k for the event, in which case €10k will be given out even if only 20 people show up. If the numbers get over the 100 mark then we told the GAA that its only right to give out more than the minimum....

So to answer your question...if for instance we took in a total of 20k for the event then we'd make sure that they'd pay out at least 13k - 15k of it. You may have issues with this and thats fair enough but dont' get on a high horse over it please. We're running this event as a favour since we're the only tourney organisers in Roscommon area who can accomodate the possible large numbers of players that could turn up for an event like this. We don't run Rebuy tourneys specifically for the reason that people don't know exactly how much money is been taken in.

Also I don't see what gives you the right to question my integrity regarding running a successful poker operation. You know nothing about us and therefore you are in no position to comment.

As for getting "defensive and beligerant", its people like you who probably don't know a thing about running a tournament who are the first one's always giving out about this and that. Of course I'm going to stand up for myself and defend what "in my view" I think is correct. Just like you, I'm entitled to my opinion.

But enough of the banter for me. If you would like to take this matter further, I would be more than happy to talk to you via the phone if you still feel so strongly about the above matter?

Regards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

You're taking a 20 euro reg fee, providing no dealers and might only pay out 60%-75% of the prizepool.

I think you should talk to the GAA about their payout system or else you risk ruining your own credibility.

lol. you are quiet the live wire are'nt ya. :)

Ok so presuming you read the full initail post...its a Fundraiser for the Roscommon GAA. They've put up the guarantee of €10k for the event, in which case €10k will be given out even if only 20 people show up. If the numbers get over the 100 mark then we told the GAA that its only right to give out more than the minimum....

So to answer your question...if for instance we took in a total of 20k for the event then we'd make sure that they'd pay out at least 13k - 15k of it. You may have issues with this and thats fair enough but dont' get on a high horse over it please. We're running this event as a favour since we're the only tourney organisers in Roscommon area who can accomodate the possible large numbers of players that could turn up for an event like this. We don't run Rebuy tourneys specifically for the reason that people don't know exactly how much money is been taken in.

Also I don't see what gives you the right to question my integrity regarding running a successful poker operation. You know nothing about us and therefore you are in no position to comment.

As for getting "defensive and beligerant", its people like you who probably don't know a thing about running a tournament who are the first one's always giving out about this and that. Of course I'm going to stand up for myself and defend what "in my view" I think is correct. Just like you, I'm entitled to my opinion.

But enough of the banter for me. If you would like to take this matter further, I would be more than happy to talk to you via the phone if you still feel so strongly about the above matter?

Regards.

Given the fact that you are the organiser of this tournament and are using this forum to advertise and attract players to your event, I find your attitude bewildering to say the least. The bottom line is I asked a couple of relatively straightforward questions regarding your event and you failed to answer them, instead deciding to instigate an online version of a Basil Fawlty incident with a disgruntled customer. You may or may not have experience in organising poker tournaments but you clearly need some lessons in customer relations and basic communication skills. Again you fail to answer my question regarding what percentage of money taken in will go into the prizepool. Now Im sorry if you adopt this question as attacking your "integrity" but it is a matter to me and Id venture to say, most other players, of considerale salience. Stating that you will pay out "at least 13-15k" from a prizepool of 20k isnt really answering the question and from my interpretation of this sticky, it is a stipulation to indicate what percentage of monies paid will be paid out. Thats why the question is there my esteemed friend. Finally I wont bother taking up your offer to telephone you but will end this discourse by assuring you that you have done nothing to convince me, a potential new customer, to partake in any of your events. I would also be highly surprised if your aggressive manner, your dearth of effective communication skills or the lack of clarity or professionalism in which your touraments are run will do anything to encourage my fellow Dublin posters to make the long journey down to Roscommon.

Given the fact that you are the organiser of this tournament and are using this forum to advertise and attract players to your event, I find your attitude bewildering to say the least. The bottom line is I asked a couple of relatively straightforward questions regarding your event and you failed to answer them, instead deciding to instigate an online version of a Basil Fawlty incident with a disgruntled customer. You may or may not have experience in organising poker tournaments but you clearly need some lessons in customer relations and basic communication skills. Again you fail to answer my question regarding what percentage of money taken in will go into the prizepool. Now Im sorry if you adopt this question as attacking your "integrity" but it is a matter to me and Id venture to say, most other players, of considerale salience. Stating that you will pay out "at least 13-15k" from a prizepool of 20k isnt really answering the question and from my interpretation of this sticky, it is a stipulation to indicate what percentage of monies paid will be paid out. Thats why the question is there my esteemed friend. Finally I wont bother taking up your offer to telephone you but will end this discourse by assuring you that you have done nothing to convince me, a potential new customer, to partake in any of your events. I would also be highly surprised if your aggressive manner, your dearth of effective communication skills or the lack of clarity or professionalism in which your touraments are run will do anything to encourage my fellow Dublin posters to make the long journey down to Roscommon.

Your right. I was out of line. I apolgise for my rash comments and immature behaviour.

However, I can only give you the information in which I at this stage know.

I would also like to point out that this is not our main line of work. This is a side hobby of ours, and one that so far after 2 years we've yet to hear from somebody a complaint regarding the way we structure or organise our tournaments. We pay out 100% of the prize pool at "all our events". This is not one of our events, as its a fundraiser.

I've also been a member here on boards for nearly two years and your the first and only person that has attacked me in this regard. Your a member how long?...a few days? You are entitled to your view and thoughts just like the next man, but don't you dare insinuate that I need lessons in communication skills. You may have a nice smooth tongue when it comes to words sir, but please don't come on to boards and start accusing me or anyone else of wrong doings until you get the whole picture. Now as i said, I'm more than willing to speak with you over the phone about this, but you've declined so thats fair enough.

Again I apologise for my rash comments but I don't know you and as far as I'm concerned you could be someone who's just in here trying to start trouble.

As for the comment above regarding the €20 registration........its a €100 buy in plus 1 rebuy or topup = potentially €200, so 10% of that is €20. We're a small poker outfit and would have no means as to finding top dealers for the day/night.
    If this was one of our own tournaments then like in the past..we'd have it fully dealer dealt. But finding and arranging possibly 20 dealers for a few hours in Boyle is next to impossible for us at this stage.

If any of ye guys want to talk about this matter anymore then pm me and i'll give you my number.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Look, I have never met 'Four of a Kind', but as far as I am aware he has organised well run and transparent tournies for the last couple of years. I agree that he has left himself in a position that he is not used to here having agreed to run a fundraising event for a GAA board.

I do agree in a certain respect that is should be formalised exactly how much is given out, perhaps along the lines of 10k guaranteed, and all money taken in above 12.5k 1/3 will go to the fund, so in a 20k take (excl reg), 15k would be paid out. This is obviously off the top of my head, and this is as a poster, not a mod. It seems that the GAA organisers wanted to take all monies above 10k, but have given into pressure from the OP to give more out on a bigger take.

I think the way around this that might satisfy all would be to agree something before it starts along the lines of the above with the GAA before the tournies starts and make everyone aware of it before they reg, however, the primary focus of this event is as a fundraiser, so it is not a case where there will ever be 100% payout, and if it was, what point is there holding this as a fundraiser?

Do people object when a charity tournie takes 1/3 or similiar of the prizepool? This may be for different causes, but it is the same idea, raising money for a cause. The fact that people who presumably won't even consider going to these events in the first place, no matter how much of the prizepool is given out, criticising annoys the hell out of me.

On the dealers issue, I can't imagine the Roscommon area is teeming with competent dealers, and self deal tournies are the norm in most places outside the big centres. Organisers have to make profit, and given the costs associated with these events (although I suspect a lot of the costs will be met by the GAA in this instance, but I could be wrong) I don't think it is unreasonable. Tables, chips, cards, and peoples time, don't often come free you know.

5starpool wrote:
    Look, I have never met 'Four of a Kind', but as far as I am aware he has organised well run and transparent tournies for the last couple of years. I agree that he has left himself in a position that he is not used to here having agreed to run a fundraising event for a GAA board.

I do agree in a certain respect that is should be formalised exactly how much is given out, perhaps along the lines of 10k guaranteed, and all money taken in above 12.5k 1/3 will go to the fund, so in a 20k take (excl reg), 15k would be paid out. This is obviously off the top of my head, and this is as a poster, not a mod. It seems that the GAA organisers wanted to take all monies above 10k, but have given into pressure from the OP to give more out on a bigger take.

I think the way around this that might satisfy all would be to agree something before it starts along the lines of the above with the GAA before the tournies starts and make everyone aware of it before they reg, however, the primary focus of this event is as a fundraiser, so it is not a case where there will ever be 100% payout, and if it was, what point is there holding this as a fundraiser?

Do people object when a charity tournie takes 1/3 or similiar of the prizepool? This may be for different causes, but it is the same idea, raising money for a cause. The fact that people who presumably won't even consider going to these events in the first place, no matter how much of the prizepool is given out, criticising annoys the hell out of me.

On the dealers issue, I can't imagine the Roscommon area is teeming with competent dealers, and self deal tournies are the norm in most places outside the big centres. Organisers have to make profit, and given the costs associated with these events (although I suspect a lot of the costs will be met by the GAA in this instance, but I could be wrong) I don't think it is unreasonable. Tables, chips, cards, and peoples time, don't often come free you know.

Thank you for lending your opinions mate. yes the Roscommon GAA are footing all the costs for this event. But we are running this event as a "goodwill" tourney on our behalf and have taken a considerable cut in pay since its our county team that we're helping. We all know that GAA's want to milk what they can out of events like these and don't care about reputations of the organisers. But we do and we will strive to get as much paid out as we deem fair at this game. The last thing we want is to run a bad game with the pot completely raped. As always our events will be professionally run and structured in such a way as to provide sufficient value for money.

yes dealers in Roscommon area is none existent. In general Poker in Roscommon is far from fruitful, but we are slowly trying to change that by concentration our games in that area.

We ourselves dislike running fundraisers for the simple fact of what you mentioned above regarding prize pool etc. In the future we will have a predetermined % of prize pool that goes to the fundraiser(which I think is the best option).

Thanks 5starpool for posting an unbiased opinion.

Regards.

do agree in a certain respect that is should be formalised exactly how much is given out, perhaps along the lines of 10k guaranteed, and all money taken in above 12.5k 1/3 will go to the fund, so in a 20k take (excl reg), 15k would be paid out.

Well this is esactly the point I was trying to make. A bit of clarity is not too much to ask for. I understand this tournament is being run as a fundraiser for the local GAA and I have no problem donating to this orgainisation. However with all fundraising and charity tournaments the protocol is to advise the customer on how much he/she is donating and how much of the monies paid will go into the prizepool. Im glad to see were all agreed on this matter now.
    Do people object when a charity tournie takes 1/3 or similiar of the prizepool

In most cases they dont Dominic and Im certainly not objecting to Four of a Kind running a tournament as a funraiser for the GAA. Surely you can comprehend that this isnt my grievance?
    The fact that people who presumably won't even consider going to these events in the first place, no matter how much of the prizepool is given out, criticising annoys the hell out of me.

You may be a moderator on this forum but you really dont have any grounds for coming out with such an outrageous allegation. I have been playing live poker for over 5 years and during this time have travelled to Cork, Waterford, Clonmel, Galway, Drogheda and Belfast to partake in tournaments and cash games. The purpose of my involvement on this thread isnt to waste time as you imply. It may "annoy the hell out of you" but it is my prerogative as a potential customer to asscertain as much data as possible in an event that I may wish to play in. Furthermore its certainly not for you to presume that I have no intention of playing in this event. I wouldnt be making enquiries if I had no intention of playing.:(
    On the dealers issue, I can't imagine the Roscommon area is teeming with competent dealers,

I appreciate this point but then surely a 20 euro registration fee can hardly be justified. The standard rate is 10% of the intial buy in where trained dealers are provided.

Well this is esactly the point I was trying to make. A bit of clarity is not too much to ask for. I understand this tournament is being run as a fundraiser for the local GAA and I have no problem donating to this orgainisation. However with all fundraising and charity tournaments the protocol is to advise the customer on how much he/she is donating and how much of the monies paid will go into the prizepool. Im glad to see were all agreed on this matter now.

So am I. I agree that it would have been much better if the OP had this thrashed out beforehand, but I believe he has agreed that in future for these type of events it is something he will try to clarify. In this specific event, he says he is trying to get as good a deal for the punter as he can given that they want to take all monies. I would hope that on the day people are satisfied with it, as he knows himself that no matter how many good things are in the past, one bad incident can sour things, and I am sure he does not want this to be his.
    In most cases they dont Dominic and Im certainly not objecting to Four of a Kind running a tournament as a funraiser for the GAA. Surely you can comprehend that this isnt my grievance?
    Ok, you know who I am, any chance of letting me know who you are? As for the other point, that comment was mainly aimed at mdwexford and his 'outrage', but also at other posters who have taken similar lines in other fund raising threads. But please spell my name right ;)

You may be a moderator on this forum but you really dont have any grounds for coming out with such an outrageous allegation. I have been playing live poker for over 5 years and during this time have travelled to Cork, Waterford, Clonmel, Galway, Drogheda and Belfast to partake in tournaments and cash games. The purpose of my involvement on this thread isnt to waste time as you imply. It may "annoy the hell out of you" but it is my prerogative as a potential customer to asscertain as much data as possible in an event that I may wish to play in. Furthermore its certainly not for you to presume that I have no intention of playing in this event. I wouldnt be making enquiries if I had no intention of playing.:(

Ok, I wasn't picking on you personally, although you may have been uppermost in my mind at the time due to your posts in this thread, but if you were asking with a view to playing then I exclude you and apologise for any annoyance caused. As mentioned above though there have been numerous threads like this from various people over the last couple of years where people who i knew had no intention of going to play specified events posted criticism. Also, the OP has advertised numerous other events on this forum that were not fund raisers, and from the feedback from those that did play, they were more than satisfied with the events and the transparency in the payouts. As I said, my post was personal opinion, which I am allowed, and not forum moderation, so me being a moderator doesn't allow me to make any more outrageous claims than any others posters
    I appreciate this point but then surely a 20 euro registration fee can hardly be justified. The standard rate is 10% of the intial buy in where trained dealers are provided.
    This may be the case, but at least there is the information provided up front to help you decide whether to play on this point or not. Also, I have seen several €50+€10 or €80+€20 events advertised here.

If I said I don't mean to annoy anyone in general, I would, of course, be lying, but I didn't mean to annoy you. However, and no disrespect meant in this, you have only been registered here a matter of weeks (if you were an unregistered lurker I have no way of knowing), and the OP has, as mentioned, been a responsible user of this forum and organised many transparent tournaments, so I am personally giving him the benefit of the doubt in this case, but if you are not willing to, based upon knowing nothing of his previous tournie organising, then that is up to you, and I can't say I don't blame you in that respect.

If you do know me, and would like to discuss this, or any other matters, then please do so.

Fair enough I think enough has been said on this matter now so Ill let things lie. Dominik[sorry sp?] Id rather not announce my name on this forum but I will introduce myself to you when we next meet. Best of luck

Fair enough I think enough has been said on this matter now so Ill let things lie. Dominik[sorry sp?] Id rather not announce my name on this forum but I will introduce myself to you when we next meet. Best of luck
    Nearly right, c and a k :)

I think we pretty much agree(ish) anyhow. Talk to you later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

This may be the case, but at least there is the information provided up front to help you decide whether to play on this point or not. Also, I have seen several €50+€10 or €80+€20 events advertised here.

If I said I don't mean to annoy anyone in general, I would, of course, be lying, but I didn't mean to annoy you. However, and no disrespect meant in this, you have only been registered here a matter of weeks (if you were an unregistered lurker I have no way of knowing), and the OP has, as mentioned, been a responsible user of this forum and organised many transparent tournaments, so I am personally giving him the benefit of the doubt in this case, but if you are not willing to, based upon knowing nothing of his previous tournie organising, then that is up to you, and I can't say I don't blame you in that respect.

If you do know me, and would like to discuss this, or any other matters, then please do so.

Dimonick, your use of the comma, is something to behold. Hats off to you. This may well be the best use of the comma this forum has ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭StraddleFor6

Dimonick, your use of the comma, is something to behold. Hats off to you. This may well be the best use of the comma this forum has ever seen.

5 stars for delivery, and a big lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

5starpool wrote:

As for the other point, that comment was mainly aimed at mdwexford and his 'outrage', but also at other posters who have taken similar lines in other fund raising threads. But please spell my name right ;)

Dont know what you were smoking when you read my post but i suggest you look again. First off im not outraged, i couldnt give a boll*x to be honest. I just made a suggestion to the OP to save his credibility and not be associated with some robbery tourney and find out what % of the prize pool will be paid.

I shouldnt have bothered, post all the tourneys you like that have no dealers charge reg and dont disclose how much money is being paid out. The charter has been binned apparently......;)

mdwexford wrote:
    Dont know what you were smoking when you read my post but i suggest you look again. First off im not outraged, i couldnt give a boll*x to be honest. I just made a suggestion to the OP to save his credibility and not be associated with some robbery tourney and find out what % of the prize pool will be paid.

I shouldnt have bothered, post all the tourneys you like that have no dealers charge reg and dont disclose how much money is being paid out. The charter has been binned apparently......;)
    I think all the points I made above cover this, so no point repeating myself.

Why thank you Jesoph, I am glad my overuse of the comma is appreciated.

All I can say as the OP, is that in the future for any fundraising events we run there will be an exact formal description of the exact funds or percentage of the prize pool that will be taken out for the cause.

I'm not going to let all our work the past two years running decent value for money games go down the drain for a GAA fundraiser. We will do everything in our power to ensure that the punters get a fair crack.

Just on a side note....whats the normal cut/% that's usually taken for fundraisers? Is it 50/50 or 60/40?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

50/50 is terrible
    obv 60/40 is better bet should be about 70/30

I believe between 2:1 and 3:1, prizepool:fund is the norm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭carfax

I only read this thread for the first time yesterday and I just have one or two points to make;

Why does anyone feel its necessary to remain anonymous on this forum? If you are going to make a complaint the least you can do is to state your name imo.

I've played in a number of 4 of a Kind events and I can say hands down that they are a quality outfit. They are definitely not in it for the money (they don't charge any reg on any of their side games) and are one of only a handful of organisers in the country that actually give a s*it about improving the quality of poker and the experience their players are getting.

If you are running a fundraiser you can have 100% of the prize-pool going to the charity if all players know this before they attend. A fundraiser is what it is and as such I don't really consider it a poker tournament myself because you are playing simply to help a certain cause (not that I ever do that type of thing myself, bahh humbug).

I'm sure next time around the lads will hammer the percentages out with the football club or whoever before they advertise the event but I think the reason they didn't do it this time is because you're always going to get a half answer from a manager/director of a football club when it comes to money. They went into this knowing that they would be in control on the night and would be able to divide the prize-pool in a fair manner. Just my two cents.

• Advertisement

carfax wrote:
    I only read this thread for the first time yesterday and I just have one or two points to make;

Why does anyone feel its necessary to remain anonymous on this forum? If you are going to make a complaint the least you can do is to state your name imo.

I've played in a number of 4 of a Kind events and I can say hands down that they are a quality outfit. They are definitely not in it for the money (they don't charge any reg on any of their side games) and are one of only a handful of organisers in the country that actually give a s*it about improving the quality of poker and the experience their players are getting.

If you are running a fundraiser you can have 100% of the prize-pool going to the charity if all players know this before they attend. A fundraiser is what it is and as such I don't really consider it a poker tournament myself because you are playing simply to help a certain cause (not that I ever do that type of thing myself, bahh humbug).

I'm sure next time around the lads will hammer the percentages out with the football club or whoever before they advertise the event but I think the reason they didn't do it this time is because you're always going to get a half answer from a manager/director of a football club when it comes to money. They went into this knowing that they would be in control on the night and would be able to divide the prize-pool in a fair manner. Just my two cents.

Thank you Steven. :)

Advertisement