Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superbowl 07/08 Live on BBC

Options
  • 13-09-2007 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

For those who don't have the luxury you might be interested in this
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/sport1/hi/other_sports/american_football/6993042.stm

BBC Sport will broadcast the Super Bowl - American Football's annual showpiece event - for the next two years.

A free-to-air deal signed with the NFL also includes highlights of the Wembley Stadium game between Miami Dolphins and New York Giants on 28 October.

And it will include other NFL London games that may be scheduled in 2008.

Super Bowl XLII will be broadcast live from Arizona on 3 February 2008 and Super Bowl XLIII will be broadcast live from Tampa, Florida in 2009.

Super Bowl XLI saw the Indianapolis Colts beat the Chicago Bears in Miami and reached an estimated worldwide audience of nearly one billion in more than 220 countries.

The Super Bowl is also renowned for its spectacular entertainment line-up, featuring performances in recent years by the Rolling Stones, Sir Paul McCartney, Prince, U2, Sting and Beyonce Knowles.

"The Super Bowl is one of the world's great sporting events and we are delighted that after many years of covering it on 5Live, we are now also going to be showing it on BBC Television," said Philip Bernie, Head of BBC TV Sport Editorial.

"The Super Bowl always attracts great interest and we are really looking forward to providing a new showcase for this huge occasion."

Alistair Kirkwood, managing director of NFL UK added: "We are thrilled to be announcing a partnership with the BBC.

"This represents a major landmark in the growth of our sport in the UK and will help us to establish the NFL as a significant part of the sporting landscape here.

"The BBC's reputation in the presentation of televised sport is unrivalled and we are very excited about working closely with them."

Further details relating to the TV presentation and commentary teams, as well as scheduling, will be announced in due course.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

That's strange... I thought ITV has the coverage locked for a few years. I hope we get some decent highlights programs. I'm guessing this will be a late night BBC2 slot...

It's a pity Gary Imlach won't be fronting it. He was the best thing about ITV's coverage, for the casual NFL fan like myself I thought he was great at explaining the games and the context.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Goes too show how the game is starting to really take off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

Goes too show how the game is starting to really take off.
    Maybe now ppl won't think I'm weird for asking to watch it in the pub or wearing an NFL jersey in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Curious as to who they'll have in studio... It'll be strange to be able to watch an NFL match with no ads...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

dulpit wrote: »
    Curious as to who they'll have in studio... It'll be strange to be able to watch an NFL match with no ads...

Yeah baby, I look forward to that! But not as good as the day OJ Simpson was chased along the freeway in California in 1994. I was living in California at the time. All the channels switched to a live feed of the police chase. Meanwhile back on the east coast the NY Knicks were playing in a playoff game. It wasn't on telly live.

But afterwards, when OJ was under lock and key, they showed it. My god, it was like it was on FAST FORWARD. No ads, no timeouts. Just constant action. The 48 mins of the game, took, er, slightly less than 48 mins, compared to I dunno over an hour for a normal length game. It was odd, having been brainwashed by watching ad interrupted games for years.

Only thing with US broadcast sports, they still take the breaks and you have to fill the time with inane chat re:the US Masters. (or that cr@ppy music)

• Advertisement

That's why i like if sometimes a live broadcast runs late on NASN, sometimes when i want to watch PTI & ATH, there might be baseball on before it, if it runs late the shows run without the ads, which is great...

Also on sundays when NASN show replays of the college football games they take hardly any (if at all) breaks, which is the job...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Sky do it for their repeat of their live games too.

BTW for those who don't know TV3 have it live too

Dodge wrote: »
    BTW for those who don't know TV3 have it live too

Jesus they'll love all the ad breaks involved...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭John mac

will the BBC have it on HD?

dont answer that just found this

* At 09:54 AM on 14 Sep 2007,
    * Roger Mosey – Director of BBC Sport wrote:

Will the Superbowl be in HD? We can't say at this stage because the BBC HD trial ends soon. We very much hope it will become a permanent service but we need permission before we can commit to events in 2008.

Advertisement