Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

<GULP> Windows folder is 22.7 GB! (28.9 GB on disk)

• 13-09-2007 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

This computer has 40GB hard drive and over 20 GB is somehow taken up by the Windows folder.

I'm not a techie so I need some help. I've looked at the folder and don't see what I can do to reduce this file size safely. I don't understand how it could be so bloated. I did remove a lot of the $NTuninstall folders (almost 1 GB) but this Windows folder is choking the computer.

Help please.

Newbie alert: this is my first post here. I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong forum, etc.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Is there anything in the Windows\Temp folder?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Fair play OP. This is the right forum and not a lot of people post in the right forum on their first post.

Try doing a search for files with the extension .tmp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Fair play OP. This is the right forum and not a lot of people post in the right forum on their first post.

Pfff. Some people don't post in the correct forum on their 1000th post.

OP, how long has it been this size?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

petes wrote:
    Pfff. Some people don't post in the correct forum on their 1000th post.
    Very true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Google for "Treesize". Its a great little program that will show you what's occupying all of that space.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 MagicMtnDan

Thanks for your help.
    Ruu wrote:
    Is there anything in the Windows\Temp folder?

The Windows Temp file is only 2.58 MB (15.9 Size on disk).

Here are just some of the file names and sizes. I've checked every file listed under Windows and can't find any that are larger than any of these:

$f_mig$ - 432 MB (313 Size on disk).

assembly - 27.3 MB (25.1 Size on disk)

Downloaded installations - 138 MB (106 Sod)

Driver Cache - 113 MB (110 Sod)

Fonts - 104 MB (102 Sod)

ie7 - 24.8 MB (14.9 Sod)

ie7 updates - 81.5 (54.6 Sod)

IME - 86.3 MB (76.9 Sod)

INF - 55.7 (26.6 Sod)

ServicePackFiles - 501 MB (321 Sod)

System32 - 930 MB (813 Sod)

The root directory, WINDOWS is 28.4 GB (22.5 GB Sod)

I did a search in the WINDOWS folder (*.tmp) and came up with only 10 files.

What do you mean by "Fair play OP"?

Stephen wrote:
    Google for "Treesize". Its a great little program that will show you what's occupying all of that space.

OK, thanks for that suggestion. I downloaded Treesize and here's what it tells me (these are the largest files on the harddrive):

46,901 MB C :\
    .........29,175 MB WINDOWS
    ..............25,868 MB [Files]
    .........12,886 MB Documents and Settings
    ................7,686 All Users.WINDOWS
    ........................7,581 Application Data
    ........................4,867 MB Administrator.DANSCOMPUTER
    .................................4,755 Local settings

Does this information help? Now what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

reading through the thread, and i have no idea what it could be....

try doing a scan disk
    mycomputer
    right click on c drive
    properties
    tools
    check now (schedule to run on reboot)
    reboot the pc and make a cup of tea

if its still huge...
    use windows search

search c:\windows

for files above 100,000kb

enable to search hidden and system files

and post up a screen shot of your results (click on search results press alt and prtscn together, open mspaint, edit-paste, save, back to boards attach)

Thanks for your feedback. The harddrive doesn't have enough space to do a scan disk or much of anything else other than surfing the Web.

I hate to say something this dumb but it appears to me that the folder named "[Files]" is the problem. It's 25,868 - what is that folder?

mukki wrote:
    reading through the thread, and i have no idea what it could be....

try doing a scan disk
    mycomputer
    right click on c drive
    properties
    tools
    check now (schedule to run on reboot)
    reboot the pc and make a cup of tea

if its still huge...
    use windows search

search c:\windows

for files above 100,000kb

enable to search hidden and system files

and post up a screen shot of your results (click on search results press alt and prtscn together, open mspaint, edit-paste, save, back to boards attach)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

OP, I am not aware of a folder in Windows (XP) called Files. What is in it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Download and use CCleaner

What do you mean by "Fair play OP"?

I mean well done in finding the correct forum. We've had questions similar to this posted in After hours before. After Hours seems to be the only forum people know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

I mean well done in finding the correct forum. We've had questions similar to this posted in After hours before. After Hours seems to be the only forum people know.

i think he is asking what OP means

opening post(er)

mukki wrote:
    i think he is asking what OP means

opening post(er)

Why didn't I realise that? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Sounds like System Restore is taking up all your space. Have a look and see what percent of your HDD is allocated to it.

Soundman wrote:
    Sounds like System Restore is taking up all your space. Have a look and see what percent of your HDD is allocated to it.

Is that not in the root? So that wouldn't be in his windows folder. I don't know as I have System Restore turned off.

Quite possible. Never gone that far into it. I was just suggesting it as it is somethign I discovered was eating up my HDD space too.

Soundman wrote:
    Quite possible. Never gone that far into it. I was just suggesting it as it is somethign I discovered was eating up my HDD space too.

Well the folder name is 'System Volume Information'. Just out of interest could you take a look under you c drive and check if it's there? If not try the windows folder.

Ok. Had to show all hidden files and folders to find it but you are correct and it is in the root. Using Vista 32bit. Presume XP is the same.

• Advertisement

Soundman wrote:
    Ok. Had to show all hidden files and folders to find it but you are correct and it is in the root.

Well at least we've ruled that out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

Not sure if anyone has used this before but if you have java installed try this,

http://www.jgoodies.com/freeware/jdiskreport/

Click the web start link for instant action. It will list the top 50 files for size, date, etc. Also it orders the tree by size so can drill down to find the largest folder in seconds.

I don't think the problemis that he has a couple of massive files in there. I think the problem is that he has loads of medium sized files that aren't needed in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

get your hands on Spacemonger.
    old visual representation software
    easy to look at

not sure if the OP has done a Disk Cleanup
    will get rid of all the temp files

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah it looks like the root of your Windows folder is full of junk. Could you post a list of the files contained there?

Advertisement