Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where the hell is the Rowan Gillespie statue on Cruises Street gone?

Options
  • 13-09-2007 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭

I was walking up Cruises Street last night at 9 o'clock and noticed something different about Quimper Square (centre bit of cruises st) then I saw that the Statue of the woman playing the bodhran by Rowan Gillespie was gone and a big blob of tarmac was in its place. WTF like? Why take away a perfectly good statue for no reason? Also this statue is used alot on promotional shots of Limerick including Maps and Leaflets. She was also at the very centre of the Riverpoint Picture for 2007. Is the city only allowed a limited number of statues and when a new one is unveiled an old one taken away? :confused:
    I know she actually served no purpose and she was a fictional person but it was a nice statue.
    Anyone know anything about the disappearance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Twas a bit battered, the last time I saw it. Dont go down that way much tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Aww... that is a lovely statue, why would they take it away.

Methinks The council probably sold it to Crusis Cafe (its their logo from when they opened after Bewleys closed beside the statue) to get some bob back from the Harris statue

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Stop with the doom-saying lads!;)

As far as I know it's only getting a bit of a repair and clean.
    I could be wrong, but I did hear something about it being cleaned, and maybe a new plinth a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Stop with the doom-saying lads!;)

As far as I know it's only getting a bit of a repair and clean.
    I could be wrong, but I did hear something about it being cleaned, and maybe a new plinth a few months ago.

Karmafaerie, you're on the ball! She's been taken away due to vandalism and she'll be coming back with a new stronger plinth (like richard harris i'd say). Good to see the council are doing something good! Hopefully when she might come back with a plaque! After all I only found out tonight that she represents a traditional singer in Quimper, France.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Karmafaerie, you're on the ball! She's been taken away due to vandalism and she'll be coming back with a new stronger plinth (like richard harris i'd say). Good to see the council are doing something good! Hopefully when she might come back with a plaque! After all I only found out tonight that she represents a traditional singer in Quimper, France.

Yeah , I was the same.
    I only found out a few years ago that ther was a Limerick Square in Quimper!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

The Statue is back now, saw it yesterday. It has a new pedestal, and has Rowan Gillespie written on it. Seems to sit higher off the ground now also

Nice one! good to see the council do something good for a change!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 davemc06

Great to hear!
    Next time chill out about the statues James! :p

Shut up Curtains!
    The more statues the better...still only 4 in the city y'know. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Who is the Statue of? and whats its link to Limerick ?

Did not see info on his site:
    http://www.rowangillespie.com

Anytime I have passed it there are usually people sitting around it or
    there are people busking.

~B

• Advertisement

bullets wrote:
    Who is the Statue of? and whats its link to Limerick ?

Did not see info on his site:
    http://www.rowangillespie.com

Anytime I have passed it there are usually people sitting around it or
    there are people busking.

~B

The Statue is of a Singer from Quimper. It's link to Limerick is that Quimper is Limerick's twin city. :)

Advertisement