Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Husky Gas

Options
  • 13-09-2007 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭

My brother has a ten month old Siberian Husky.

She's been on the same food since they got her (Pedigree Complete) and she has terrible gas.

I can't think why she does but I had to husky sit the other night and I nearly gagged when she let rip while sleeping on the floor at my feet.

Is it the food or are huskies generally nasty gas passers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

GDM wrote:
    My brother has a ten month old Siberian Husky.

She's been on the same food since they got her (Pedigree Complete) and she has terrible gas.

I can't think why she does but I had to husky sit the other night and I nearly gagged when she let rip while sleeping on the floor at my feet.

Is it the food or are huskies generally nasty gas passers?

I have no experience with Huskies, but have three dogs meself and have a mate who has four so know a bit about them.

One dog had similar trouble as your brothers Husky, he can't stomach "wet" food at all. Stopped feeding wet food and now feed him on a completely dry diet and the problem as stopped, buy some dry food and try him on that may cut down or stop the gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭fletch...

HAHA! :D
    just got a gorgeouse samoyed recently myself, and yes she does fart a bit, usualy after a good long run or excersise, and these are audible ones too, my other half thinks shes learning it from me but id reckon its something to do with diet. Nothing worse/funnyer then a room clearer while stuck in a small car! :eek:

we are keeping her on dry food as recomended by our vet ( its inportant for thier teeth and insides as they grow up) but we do give her a bit of tinnd food, sometimes shes not interested in the dry stuff so a bit of tinnd food underneath a good layer of dry stuff gets her to eat her way trough the dry stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Since when do Huskies fart differently than other dogs? :D

This has nothing to do with the breed of dog and everything with the brand of food.

"Pedigree" is crap ...get some decent dog food and enjoy the breeze :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

We have two collies, they get the Lidl dry food and the odd bag of Supervalu stuff. They're both ten and healthy as pups and have no trouble in the butt trumpet department. Would he then be better switching to the Lidl and Supervalu stuff to reduce the auld Siberian backdraft?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Pedigree wet or dry is a disaster for dogs. After trying hills (which they hated) and then Dr Jons I have now settled them with Burn's. They all love it and I have no problems.

Of course you will have to change the food gradually as it will make him sick if you change it in one go.

Gas as you describe could be dangerous with such a large breed animal as it could lead to bloat which can be fatal in a very short few hours if not observed and treated urgently. :eek:

Would love a few pics of the little fella.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Pedigree is a very low grade food - the cat version, Whiskas, gave my cat terrible diahorria. Plus, it's not very complete and should be supplemented with vitamins if given.

I recommend Husse - it's a premium / super premium dry food - no extra vitamins needed (best not to, as they can suffer a vitamin overdose just like humans). It may seem expensive, but they have a super low feed rate, and when you compare what the huskey needs on pedigree to want it needs on Husse, you'll see it comes out the same if not cheaper. Their website is www.husse.ie. Orders of €25 + have free delivery. The dog could have a sensitivity as well, so the best bet would be the Lax & Ris (Salmon and Rice) or the Lamm & Ris (Lamb and Rice) as these are suitable for dogs with stomach irritation. They have PDF files explaining feed rate on the website before you buy, so you can get an idea of what your dog would need.

Another good brand sourced in pet shops is Royal Canin (or can be purchased from www.zooplus.ie), but it is more expensive than husse with high feed rates, and I found the husse to be better quality.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Here's a very bad picture of her at six months old.

EDIT

Seems boards can't handle the pic so here's a link to it if you want to have a look.

http://www.data-hosting.eu/v/8062486/7851101.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

We have a boxer who is almost two and had woeful gas problems at the beginning, however a couple of tablespoons (2-3) of natural youghurt a day radically cut down on the doggie gas problem.

But since changing her diet over to Burns chicken and rice she rarely needs the yoghurt. Pedigree really is a low nutrient food for a dog, with a little research you can find one that is muchmore beneficial for your dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

I currently feed my 10 week old Beagle bakers complete. She does let off some silent but deadlies at night but not too many. Is this the best food for a young pup or should i move her to Burns..all advice appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Never heard of barkers complete but I would switch to Burns now and stick to it. They have three different flavours. But of course you need to feed him the puppy variant until he is about one year old. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭BeauZak

Laughing

We get lots of queries regarding food for dogs and its effect on gas etc.

Recommended are the following

James Wellbeloved, Royal Canin, Burns

My favourite is the James Wellbeloved because it's got no preservatives, colours or anything that will give them too much energy. The meat is high grade, there is no nasty smell, they love it and its a dry food. The main reason I love it is because YOU DONT HAVE SO MUCH POOH to pick up, this is because they do not use any cheap bulking agents or fillers so that is a real plus.

More info on the food at www.wellbeloved.com

Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭andrawolf

:D:D I have two huskies and it is the food that they eat that causes the problems. Predigree is not for huskies it just gives my dogs the runs. I do feed james wellbeloved and it is great. they just love the white fish. I have tried other foods but this is the best. it is a bit pricey but you need to feed a pup a good diet so it grows right. plus huskies have a lot of energy so they need the right food to keep up that energy. make sure you weight him and give recommended amount. It may not look like much but it is enough if you over feed they will have the runs. One day a week I cut there food in half and give them some raw mince or meat or fish( no bones) hope it helps:D :D:D:D make sure he gets a lot of water as they need it with it being a dried food. Come and see my huskieshttp://www.siberianhuskyni.com

Advertisement