Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai plan to take possesion of unlicensed firearms

Options
  • 13-09-2007 5:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

On “East Coast Radio” news (local station in Wicklow) news on Tuesday last a garda was complaining about the number of people that have yet to collect their firearms certificates. It was made clear that this would not be tolerated. He explained that people that did not have a license for their firearms within the next nine days would risk the gardai taking possession of these unlicensed firearms.

The interesting thing is many people with pistols in the Wicklow area have not been reissued a firearms cert for pistols this year (or last) because they were not members of an “authorised club” even though in July ’06 no club in the country was “authorised”.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭SMERSH

I was talking to my local Garda the other day and he was saying that in his station at least half of the licences have yet to be collected. I commented that it was strange. He replied and said there was nothing unusual about it and that they normally have to visit the late payers to get them to pay up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

is it just collecting revenue or do they think there is some inherint risk with these guns?
    when i went to pay for mine they guy behind the desk was complaining that the license was so cheap??? i said we didn't get much for it and that it was expensive enough for multiples when compared to a car etc
    Bryan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

fishdog wrote:
    On “East Coast Radio” news (local station in Wicklow) news on Tuesday last a garda was complaining about the number of people that have yet to collect their firearms certificates. It was made clear that this would not be tolerated. He explained that people that did not have a license for their firearms within the next nine days would risk the gardai taking possession of these unlicensed firearms.

Right & proper too.

TJ911...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

They have some cheek!!! as soon as I knew my licence needed to be re-newed
    I was in at my local station with a cheque. It took lots of phone calls
    and 3-4 wasted visits before I eventually managed to collect my new cert.
    It really pissed me off that the GARDA were so un-organized and I could
    not simply payed and collected.

Still waiting weeks and weeks for the local super to get back to me
    with regards to getting my limit increased from 100 rnds to 500.

~B

bullets wrote:
    I was in at my local station with a cheque. It took lots of phone calls and 3-4 wasted visits before I eventually managed to collect my new cert.

Just out of curiosity, I wonder what the story would be if you had been stopped by Gardaí out shooting without your licence, even though you had paid for it?

According to a traffic cop recently who stopped me & a buddy out night shooting, he stated he could have confiscated our rifles as we were not carrying our licences.......

TJ911...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭GilGrissom

Happened to me on the 2nd of August. Licence paid for but not received. Was stopped a cop driving back from hunting. He noticed the gun case in the back. Checked me out on pulse and was allowed on my way.

GilGrissom wrote:
    Checked me out on pulse and was allowed on my way.

Ya, thought that too but I didn't argue with the cop as he was total jobsworth. I don't carry the cert because of wear & tear & also if lost, a toerag could pick it up & pass on to the local crim/frat for their info....

TJ911..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

The local local sergeant who deals with the licesces in my town informed me that he knows all the serious shooters as most of them have therir re newals in within 1 week of recieving the notice. We got chatting one day and he asked how many were in the gun club (ANS 35).

Got a phone call the following day to tell me that 68 people are claiming membership of the club at renewal time............

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tom Donnavan

Two answers to that;

A few years back went to my local station in early august and was told to come back in a few weeks time as they did not have the certs in themselves yet.

This year it took about ten journeys before I finally got the barracks open for business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Yeah Tom
    My brother in Dublin has that problem everytime he goes to the local station it's shut, when he got it open one day he was told to come back tomorrow cause the guard on duty didn't know what he was meant to do

• Advertisement
Advertisement