Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Post bad driving that you have witnessed

Options
  • 13-09-2007 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭

We all see it on a daily basis. Terrible driving.
    For example today a taxi was driving straight at me on the wrong side of the road. The muppet was on the phone and only realised when i blw my horn at him... he swerved out of my way.

What are your expierences

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I was driving along there the other day..Going through a roundabout, just coming up to the third exit and some muppet pulls out in front of me and stalls..thanks god it was just a flat roundabout and I could go onto it or I would have been straight into the back of them..

A little obervation wouldn't kill ye? Not to mention learning to drive competently.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Claregalway today...
    Usual backed up traffic, lots of Gobsh1ts driving along the hard shoulder trying to take the shortcut, one guy in a BMW passed doing about 80Kmph...
    Its only been about two weeks since a woman out for a walk was killed as she walked along the hard shoulder about 500M from where I was stopped today :mad:

An Advensis D4D behind me went for the shortcut, but I was back behind it again by the time I came to Fahy's Garage...so twas not really a time saver:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I was driving my taxi today (minding my own business whilst talking to one of the lads) when some fella coming towards me had the nerve to honk their horn at me for no reason! Seemed to think he owned the road.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

how were you talking to one of the lads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Also the amount of people habitually braking red lights is unreal.

kbannon wrote:
    I was driving my taxi today (minding my own business whilst talking to one of the lads) when some fella coming towards me had the nerve to honk their horn at me for no reason! Seemed to think he owned the road.
    :D

kbannon = mod for "Leaning to drive"

Back to topic.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Don't know whether I should have reported this or not.

Today, I was in a line cars traveling out of town in a 60kph zone, moving in or around the speed limit. There were two cars in front of me, the one directly in front of me was a mini-type car with L-plates. We moved into an 80kph zone, straight road, could see maybe up to 1000m ahead. A few hundred metres into the 80 zone we were still going at 60km/ph so I checked ahead, indicated, checked mirrors, checked ahead again and pulled out to overtake. When I was fully out and approx level with the back of the car in front, it pulled out in front of me. Everything from this point on was instinct. I braked, sounded the horn and pulled as much as I could to the right, it seemed, instantaenously. Then, the big shock. I noticed a woman walking on the right-hand side of the road. There was no footpath just grass verge. I missed her by inches, if even that. Jesus, she came that close to dying today. I looked in my side mirror and then my rear-view mirror to double-check I had not actually hit her. She was still standing there, thank god.

Now, I looked ahead and saw that the other car had continued on it's merry way and was quite a distance ahead. It was obviously travelling above the limit as I was now doing the limit and the distance between us was increasing. About 3 or 4km later I came up behind the car and put my hazards on. I pointed to the left a few times, indicating to the driver to pull over, which they did. I pulled in behind and got out. Went to the drivers door and the window was down. It was a young woman, maybe 18-20. I lit on her, telling her that because of her actions a woman could have been seriously injured or killed. She was very cheeky, saying I should take more care with my driving, was driving too hard, she did check her mirrors etc etc. She started her windows closing so I said to her that I had her reg and would be reporting her for dangerous driving.

On the return journey, I spotted the woman who I had nearly hit. I pulled over and asked her if she was ok. She said she was grand, that this sort of thing was a regular occurrance for her when walking on this road. I reminded her that she was close to getting killed and asked her did she want the other driver reported for dangerous driving. She said no.

(Nearly finished, swear). Later, I went into work and spoke to a colleague. Basically he said to forget about it, that the gardai would not be bothered unless there was an actual accident.

So I did leave it. Maybe it feels more serious when I was involved myself. Can't help feeling though that this person needed a proper ticking off, at least.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

shayser wrote:
    Don't know whether I should have reported this or not.

Today, I was in a line cars traveling out of town in a 60kph zone, moving in or around the speed limit. There were two cars in front of me, the one directly in front of me was a mini-type car with L-plates. We moved into an 80kph zone, straight road, could see maybe up to 1000m ahead. A few hundred metres into the 80 zone we were still going at 60km/ph so I checked ahead, indicated, checked mirrors, checked ahead again and pulled out to overtake. When I was fully out and approx level with the back of the car in front, it pulled out in front of me. Everything from this point on was instinct. I braked, sounded the horn and pulled as much as I could to the right, it seemed, instantaenously. Then, the big shock. I noticed a woman walking on the right-hand side of the road. There was no footpath just grass verge. I missed her by inches, if even that. Jesus, she came that close to dying today. I looked in my side mirror and then my rear-view mirror to double-check I had not actually hit her. She was still standing there, thank god.

Now, I looked ahead and saw that the other car had continued on it's merry way and was quite a distance ahead. It was obviously travelling above the limit as I was now doing the limit and the distance between us was increasing. About 3 or 4km later I came up behind the car and put my hazards on. I pointed to the left a few times, indicating to the driver to pull over, which they did. I pulled in behind and got out. Went to the drivers door and the window was down. It was a young woman, maybe 18-20. I lit on her, telling her that because of her actions a woman could have been seriously injured or killed. She was very cheeky, saying I should take more care with my driving, was driving too hard, she did check her mirrors etc etc. She started her windows closing so I said to her that I had her reg and would be reporting her for dangerous driving.

On the return journey, I spotted the woman who I had nearly hit. I pulled over and asked her if she was ok. She said she was grand, that this sort of thing was a regular occurrance for her when walking on this road. I reminded her that she was close to getting killed and asked her did she want the other driver reported for dangerous driving. She said no.

(Nearly finished, swear). Later, I went into work and spoke to a colleague. Basically he said to forget about it, that the gardai would not be bothered unless there was an actual accident.

So I did leave it. Maybe it feels more serious when I was involved myself. Can't help feeling though that this person needed a proper ticking off, at least.
    ah sure report it for the laugh

ah sure report it for the laugh
    Laugh?

Seriously though that is typical of the attitude today.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

shayser, it sounds like you were in the wrong there. if you're not in a position to respond safely to a hazard like that you should not be overtaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

shayser wrote:
    About 3 or 4km later I came up behind the car and put my hazards on. I pointed to the left a few times, indicating to the driver to pull over, which they did. I pulled in behind and got out. Went to the drivers door and the window was down.

Hmmm....I'm not going to comment on the actual driving.
    All I'll post is I'd never pull over for some random punter. How did that girl know you weren't going to smash her car with a crow bar in a road rage incident?

Of course you wouldn't have done this, but unless there's a flashing light and a siren behind me, I wouldn't pull over for anyone.

I suppse it's good to warn people of punctures or maybe a door was open and someone losing stock from a van but if there was an incident and people were blowing horns but no actual collision then people shouldn't pull in for others

Laugh?

Seriously though that is typical of the attitude today.:mad:
    You're the one on here complaining about it but at the same time you're gonna do fúck all about it.

Typical! Light a candle while you're at it.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

shayser, it sounds like you were in the wrong there. if you're not in a position to respond safely to a hazard like that you should not be overtaking.

Sorry, and what is the correct procedure for when you're overtaking and someone swerves into you? My car doesn't have the facility to take off vertically. Maybe his concentration wasn't 100% if he didn't see the pedestrian on the other side of the road. Without being there you can't really say that he over reacted to a hazard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

The one that gets me and i see it every day. A country road, pedestrians walking on your right. The car coming towards you just comes right out over the centre of the road towards you, a head on collision is avoided by millimetres and a near miss to a pedestrian.

If I see a pedestrian on my side of the road and an oncoming car i will hang way back untill the oncoming car is gone. The gold cup of this is it's ok to pass a pedestrian on a blind bend. why can people not hang back and clear the bend when line of site through the bend is achieved.

AAAAAAAAggghh it's so annoying why do people think their silly schedules are more important than a life. At the very least it's frightening for the pedestrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

On the way home yesterday

I travel the limerick to mallow road daily , and as most people wil have heard by now, there was a serious accident just past o rourkes cross.

Well we (myself and the missus) were stopped 5 cars from the front..All the cars had to stop to let the firebirgade past.

Anyway the whole way home there was a smart car behind me, left hand drive and what i assume was a middle aged irish man (irish reg aswell)

Well he tried a few times to pass me as in he pulled out but didnt have enough power to get past.

Anyway back to accident, when the traffic was asked to pull over to let the firebirgade past he waited until it arrives and then tailgates up to the accident and drives on about his way skipping the whole cue of traffic. Everybody could tell it was a serious accident...i just thought it was fcuking disgrace!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

how were you talking to one of the lads?
    quote=johnnyrotten]kbannon = mod for "Leaning to drive"

Back to topic.....[/quote] :D
    MarkR wrote:
    Sorry, and what is the correct procedure for when you're overtaking and someone swerves into you? My car doesn't have the facility to take off vertically. Maybe his concentration wasn't 100% if he didn't see the pedestrian on the other side of the road. Without being there you can't really say that he over reacted to a hazard.
    Brake?
    They shouldn't have pulled out but in fairness, it would have been you that hit her because you swerved into her.

Coming home from school run this morning. A car was turning right. Theres an Articulated Truck behind the car. The Truck driver loses patience and drives up onto grass verge to undertake the car!

Unbelivable amount of people driving on M50 this evening in very heavy rain with no headlights on . Tailgating Gobsites too

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Today:

1. As above, idiots this morning driving in heavy rain, on an N-road, with no lights (or with only parking lights - I mean, why bother at all??). Surprisingly bus and truck drivers were amongst this lot and I'd have expected them to know better!

2. The middle-aged black woman who pulls into the garage I've stopped in for lunch with her hazards already on. Leaves the car parked smack in the middle of the forecourt and walks into the shop.

Comes out a few minutes later, pulls off (hazards still on), nearly backs into me (leaving behind her) when she realises the nose of her L-plated 95 Primera is too far out in oncoming traffic (cue loud, long blast of the horn from me), then drives on about 2 miles (hazards STILL on).

Next she blocks the line of traffic as she belatedly decides to try and get into the right-turn filter lane (halfway across the junction at this stage), THEN changes her mind and drives straight (yes hazards STILL on!) until the next junction where we parted company.

I haven't seen anything as bad as THAT in a long time! And with all due respect to the PC-folk who patrol this board *sigh*, 9 times out of 10 it IS a woman behind the wheel in my experience! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    I haven't seen anything as bad as THAT in a long time! And with all due respect to the PC-folk who patrol this board *sigh*, 9 times out of 10 it IS a woman behind the wheel in my experience!

Seen a Ban Garda driving up prospect road today on the mobile.

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Today:

1. As above, idiots this morning driving in heavy rain, on an N-road, with no lights (or with only parking lights - I mean, why bother at all??). Surprisingly bus and truck drivers were amongst this lot and I'd have expected them to know better!

2. The middle-aged black woman who pulls into the garage I've stopped in for lunch with her hazards already on. Leaves the car parked smack in the middle of the forecourt and walks into the shop.

Comes out a few minutes later, pulls off (hazards still on), nearly backs into me (leaving behind her) when she realises the nose of her L-plated 95 Primera is too far out in oncoming traffic (cue loud, long blast of the horn from me), then drives on about 2 miles (hazards STILL on).

Next she blocks the line of traffic as she belatedly decides to try and get into the right-turn filter lane (halfway across the junction at this stage), THEN changes her mind and drives straight (yes hazards STILL on!) until the next junction where we parted company.

I haven't seen anything as bad as THAT in a long time! And with all due respect to the PC-folk who patrol this board *sigh*, 9 times out of 10 it IS a woman behind the wheel in my experience! :rolleyes:

I still don't see why people need to point out the fact that people are black in their posts. Why not just ''middle aged woman''?

I still don't see why people need to point out the fact that people are black in their posts. Why not just ''middle aged woman''?
    With all due respect, you're an example of what I was referring to in my post about PC-ness.

I posted it simply in the interest of accuracy/completeness with no further thought behind it than that, yet you are ironically the one who draws specific attention to it. Perhaps I shouldn't have said middle aged either (ageist?) or even mentioned she was a woman (sexist?). Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned the L-plate either (discriminatory?) Or the fact it was a Primera (bias?)

See what I'm getting at? Where does one draw the line?

"A person was seen driving a car in a manner that could be considered to be erratic" - doesn't quite express it the same way does it?

Not having a go at you specifically, but PC-ness for the sake of it just annoys me, when it's the driver in question's stupidity/lack of skill behind the wheel that's the issue (which you completely ignored in your comment, as often happens in these cases).

The_Edge wrote:
    Seen a Ban Garda driving up prospect road today on the mobile.
    Sadly this is totally legal apparently as they're exempt from most of the traffic laws (and their radio equipment is supposedly so unreliable).

Although I agree completely with you. I'm not sure how a technicality like this makes them somehow better able to drive and talk than the rest of us who face points/fines for doing the same. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

^^^

thumbup.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Comming down the M1 a few weeks ago I saw a car pull out from the hard shoulder directly into the overtaking lane without even having attempted to come up to speed on the hard shoulder or the inside lane before merging!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

I bet you we will all post similar stories in another 10 years and will be ranting and raving during all this period.

Nothing will change until enforcement is truly applied at least to UK level.
    Which means more specific Traffic Core Gardaí needed to patrol and lookout for bad driving.
    Which also means not having them catching people doing 10km over the speed limit as they come through the underpass at the Montrose.
    Which means more funding from the government and real leadership.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

redman wrote:
    Which also means not having them catching people doing 10km over the speed limit as they come through the underpass at the Montrose.

Ah yes, the much maligned BRIDGE gaurds, protecting our nations infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DBK

On way into work this morning I was in a right turning lane when the car in the straight lane to the left, ahead of me, was swerving across both lanes. I took my time passing him and looked in his window. A$$hole was reading what looked like a report down his mobile and not watching the road at all. Felt like beating the $hit out of him. But that would make ME the bad person :(

Yesterday, while out on a run as I was about to run across a pedestrian crossing with lights, I checked the lights for road users which were red. A woman was driving towards the lights at speed so I slowed down just in case. Dunno why. She drove straight through the red light missing me by inches. Man, if I only had superpowers I'd beat that bitch with her car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

I observed this monday evening.

heading out the dual carriageway from limerick-patrickswell, came upon a toyota hiace pulling a horse box, he was going about 65mph, thought to myself, he is going a bit fast pulling a loaded horse box, as i overtook him, you know when something catches your eye ? i was sure someone was looking at me from the horsebox ! I dropped back a bit to have another look inside the horsebox and sure enough a 10-12 year old boy was looking out back at me...........shocking !

Advertisement