Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

painting rifle barrels

Options
  • 13-09-2007 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

What paint is suitable to paint a barrel on a rifle? Mine has become a little scrathed and is causing rust to form.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

GilGrissom wrote:
    What paint is suitable to paint a barrel on a rifle? Mine has become a little scrathed and is causing rust to form.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Wouldn't advise getting it painted. You can get it re-blued, there is someone in this country does that, some of the other posters here should know.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I use cold blue to touch up small scratches, G96 brand seems as good as any cold blue that I have used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 am i bovvered?

If the gun is old and may not be of high valve, I would suggest a cold blueing
    kit you can get from any dealer and do it yourself.I did it a few times and the results are pretty good but it needs to be topped up now and then.It's very important to rub down the surface with wire wool, a very fine grade, and then use a degreaser before applying the blueing.
    On the otherhand, this months Shooters Digest runs an add for factory blueing, can't place my hands on it at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I have this months digest and can't find anything to do with factory blueing :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭smallfry

I couldn't see it either, but I've just done a barrell with one
    of those bluing kits from the local dealer and it came out great....
    It was a fairly old gun so didn't mind tryin it myself....

smallfry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 am i bovvered?

rrpc wrote:
    I have this months digest and can't find anything to do with factory blueing :confused:

Sorry, I was sure I saw something in it,even went through back issues.I do know that some of the dealers offering gunsmithing services can do the bluing for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

You can buy Birchwood Casey Touch up Pens and re blueing kits on ebay, kits are liquid or paste, the paste is easier.

Price is very small compared to a full professional re blue, if it only a few marks the touch up pen by the same manufacturer might suffice.

Definately keep the lid on the Dulux tin, you will regret it!

Advertisement