Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full-HD Camcorder

Options
  • 13-09-2007 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Howdy folks!

My brother is coming back from the states soon and I was hoping to get him to pick up a full hd camcorder for me.

In the past I have avoided getting one from the states due to the PAL/NTSC compatibility issues with the picture format....

However, I am wondering if this is still the case? If you are using a HDMI connection from the camera to the TV when playing back a recording, is this still PAL/NTSC aware or is there a different type of signal?

The camera I am thinking of is the following one:
    JVC GZ-HD7
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=337676

None of the spec's for this camera that I have seen state anything to do with format (eg: PAL or NTSC) and hence my question. Has this format incompatibility become a thing of the past with HDMI connections or is it still there!!

Thanks,
    Jab

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

As regards picture format youve nothing to worry about , the res is 1920 x 1080 , if your tv can play that back your fine , thats a HD resolution , its all you have to consider.

What you may have an issue with is the power adaptor , now this will almost definitely be a 2 pin american job and you will need an adaptor. As regards to the voltage , it should be a universal 100- 240 50/60 hz model. You will just need an adaptor for the plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭kirving

Most electronic devices that output video have a PAL/NTSC option anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭jabaroon

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info. Not too worried about the power adaptor as I can sort that. I asked the bro to take a look at one in a shop and he said that he was unable to see any reference in any of the menus to PAL / NTSC.....so it looks like there isn't a setting for changing anything.....

So are you sure that when I plug this in via a HDMI lead to my full HD tv that it will work?

Thanks guys,
    Jab

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭jasperok

jabaroon
    thinking of gettinh this camera,
    did you end up getting it?

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭jabaroon

jasperok wrote: »
    jabaroon
    thinking of gettinh this camera,
    did you end up getting it?

No. In the end I was getting some conflicting reports about the NTSc/PAL issue, so avoided.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Henry O'Henry

Getting tempted to buy the forthcoming Sony HDR-SR12 when I'm over in the States in April. I too have a 1920x1080 tv and I understand that apart from the power supply I shouldn't have any problem.
    But I would be more re-assured if someone else had actual experience of using a US Hi-Def cam over here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Henry O'Henry

Bump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

If you are in NY then go to B&H Photo, they stock a range of PAL cameras too which will rest your mind. Regarding PAL/NTSC, this is only an issue when you export your high-def recordings to standard def. By default you'll be exporting to NTSC. Most NLE programs will allow you to convert to PAL, but you erally don't need to do that. Just prepare your DVD as NTSC. It will cause no problem on anything but the oldest of DVD players. Most (not all!) modern TVs will also ensure NTSC playback so there is nothing to worry about, other than what you'll spend the saved cash on!

My buddy bought the Canon High Def, think it's HG10. NTSC, no problems there.

Cheerio
    Howard

Advertisement