Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mosquitos!

• 13-09-2007 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭

<scratches> I've been getting eaten alive by a mosquito for the past few nights....but ha! I just killed it. <scratches> There better not be any more...the itchiness is intolerable :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

mental07 wrote:
    <scratches> I've been getting eaten alive by a mosquito for the past few nights....but ha! I just killed it. <scratches> There better not be any more...the itchiness is intolerable :(
    I thought I was going mad for a while there, I spotted some critters that look unmistakeably like mosquitoes going around, even down to the black and white stripes on the abdomen. Goddamn global warming!

By the way, don't scratch them, the itchiness is parasites trying to get into your system, if you scratch you'll make life easier for them. Best to cover the bites with a plaster, since the little bastards leave a pheromonal signature on the skin that attracts more skeeters.

/ missed a patch on his head once with the repellent cream
    // got 15 bites on that small patch in one sitting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

By the way, don't scratch them, the itchiness is parasites trying to get into your system, if you scratch you'll make life easier for them.

Sorry, but that's BS. The itchiness is caused by the immune reaction to the bite - your body produces histamine, an inflammatory response to the bite, and that causes itchiness. Some mosquitos do carry a parasite - like malaria in tropical regions - but it enters your blodd when you're bitten, it doesn't try to get in through the skin when you scratch! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

I thought I was going mad for a while there, I spotted some critters that look unmistakeably like mosquitoes going around, even down to the black and white stripes on the abdomen. Goddamn global warming!

By the way, don't scratch them, the itchiness is parasites trying to get into your system, if you scratch you'll make life easier for them. Best to cover the bites with a plaster, since the little bastards leave a pheromonal signature on the skin that attracts more skeeters.

/ missed a patch on his head once with the repellent cream
    // got 15 bites on that small patch in one sitting
    I'm not actually in Ireland, so yes, you're going mad ;) It's IMPOSSIBLE not to scratch. I have 4 bites on one arm and 1 on the other. And one on my forehead. Attractive.

<scratches>

Sorry, but that's BS. The itchiness is caused by the immune reaction to the bite - your body produces histamine, an inflammatory response to the bite, and that causes itchiness.
    Well, half right.
    The researchers infected mosquitoes with fluorescently tagged Plasmodium parasites, and then allowed the mosquitoes to bite a mouse.

From each mosquito bite, they found an average of 20 fluorescent parasites embedded in the animal's skin.

The parasites were found to move through the skin at high speed in a random, circuitous path.

After leaving the skin, the parasites frequently invaded blood vessels.

The researchers were also surprised to find that some of the parasites remained in the animals' skin for up to seven hours, raising the possibility that they might be responsible for a second wave of infection.

Professor Brian Greenwood, of the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, agreed that the study would help scientists better to understand the immune response to malaria.

He said it had previously been thought that infection levels at the time when a mosquito bites were too small to trigger an immune response, which only came once the parasites started multiplying in the liver.
    Maybe someone should update the wikipedia article? :D In any case its a bad idea to scratch them.
    mental07 wrote:
    I'm not actually in Ireland, so yes, you're going mad
    Dammit, not again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I sympathise with you OP. When I was in Poland there a few weeks back it was impossible to sleep with the things. I was covered in bite marks for weeks and it was soooo damn itchy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 290 ✭✭Tak3n

YEH!! And whats with the fu*kers biting me on my nob. Seriously i cant scratch without getting strange looks :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Dammit, not again!

There are mosquitoes in Ireland alright. There'll probably be a lot more of the buggers too with global warming. Up to now, very few of them made it through our cold winters long enough to complete their reproductive cycles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Damn mosquitos coming over here biting our women and taking our jabs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

The little friggers are everywhere :( What do they want from me!! Sometimes they just make me cry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

came home from thailand this summer glad to be away from the biting buggers, but theyre over here now? how long has ireland had em? (or have we always? :o )

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

mental07 wrote:
    All all this time everyone thought someone was giving you hickies!

Th are worse than mexicans for taking your money.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Stark wrote:
    There are mosquitoes in Ireland alright.

Yup. They live in the woods behind my house. :(
    I have 12 bites to prove it, which took a week to get rid of and itched like the bejaysus - my fella spends most nights killing the ones in the bedroom before we sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Beruthiel wrote:
    my fella spends most nights killing the ones in the bedroom before we sleep.
    Kinky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

m83 wrote:
    Damn mosquitos coming over here biting our women and taking our jabs.
    haha excellent :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Plissken1

Killd about 50 in the house the other night.

Beruthiel wrote:
    Yup. They live in the woods behind my house. :(
    I have 12 bites to prove it, which took a week to get rid of and itched like the bejaysus - my fella spends most nights killing the ones in the bedroom before we sleep.

Pighead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

eo980 wrote:
    I sympathise with you OP. When I was in Poland there a few weeks back it was impossible to sleep with the things. I was covered in bite marks for weeks and it was soooo damn itchy.

You're supposed to sleep with their women, not their mozzies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Snake747

There is 20 species of mosquitos in Ireland

• Advertisement

Snake747 wrote:
    There is 20 species of mosquitos in Ireland
    A big step towards removing mosquitoes is to remove all standing water in the area. Mosquitoes lay up to 250 eggs at a time in still water, which will hatch in 7 to 10 days. If standing water is eliminated weekly, many mosquitoes will be kept from breeding in the first place, eliminating the need to use pesticides against adult mosquitoes. This also reduces the number of mosquitoes around the house.
    • Check for items that might hold water including wheelbarrows, tires, hubcaps, toys, garden equipment, pool covers, tarps, plastic sheeting, pipes, drains, boats, canoes, recycling bins and trash.
    • Remove standing water in ponds, ditches, clogged rain gutters, flower pots, plant saucers, puddles, buckets, jars and cans.
    I once knew a man who was so pissed that he got dengue fever from mosquitoes that he went around every puddle in the neighbourhood and poured motor oil over them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

oh god i hate them so much, when i was in Greece at the start of the summer I had over 30 of them on my legs and then in France just last week, i was covered as well...3 on my face, 5 on my hand, countless ones on my back....Itchy like mad for ages and it's so hard to not scratch them!!

testicle wrote:
    You're supposed to sleep with their women, not their mozzies!
    Heh Heh that was actually funny............ but yeah I did manage that too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭wyk

We have mosquitoes wholesale here in Texas. If you think you have one in the house, run your bath, warmish, and leave the door open to it until it is about full. Go into the bath, close the door, and you and the Mosquito(es) will be there. They gather around warm water, and will do it nearly instantly. They will be on the walls, and also like to be near the mirrors as it looks like water to them. They also like to hide in dark and damp places. A trap I like to use is a black trashcan. They will hide and sleep in it during the day as it's dark and attracts them. When you arrive home from work, hit the can with bug spray, or carb cleaner. Carb cleaner is actually less toxic, cost less, and it kills them just as dead. Just don't do it while yer smoking. Unlike the big spray, carb cleaner will dissipate in air. I once killed nearly a dozen of them this way. So go then, and kill them all.

KILL THEM ALL!!!!

And don't forget to kill the mosquitoes, too.

Wez

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Never had one, and they dont sound nice, hope I never do get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Kernunos

i always knew there were mosquitos in Ireland but my friends never believed me. THe fac that they lived at the 'bottom of my garden' did not help my case. Have not been bitten for a few years though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

My greatest defense against mosquitos so far has been my sister. They all go after her and leave me alone.

That said, if I hear that god-awful whining noise, I'll turn on the light, and scour every square inch of the floor and ceiling on a seek-and-destroy mission. Even if it takes me a quarter-hour to do it.

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

used to be a few of them in the trees in my back garden. nightmare during the summer. got about 12 bites all on my back, which scar from scratching.

got one on my nob aswell, most enjoyable scratch ever.

lol scratchaments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jimbo007

killed almost 20 of them in my bedroom the other night.. they seem to be everywhere in limerick..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

Plissken1 wrote:
    Killd about 50 in the house the other night.

I thought it was just my house that was full of them. I have stopped chasing them with a rolled up newspaper and now use the vacuum cleaner instead. Just suck the f'ers straight off the wall. No splat marks left behind and they don't get a change to fly away.
    A big step towards removing mosquitoes is to remove all standing water in the area.

I had a bucket in the back garden that was half full of rain water (used to use it to water the plants, I'm an amateur ecowarrior :D ) that was full of them. Have emptied it since.

Never been bitten by them over here, but I worked abroad for a few years where there were lots of them. Used to get bitten on my face at night and go into work with a big red mark on the side of my face. Looked a right spa!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

mental07 wrote:
    It wouldn't have been the same one I'd imagine, they only use the blood to form eggs, it's the females wouldn't you know that are the little blood suckers!:p

Anyway, AFAIK there have been known to be mossies in St. Annes and Malahide during the summer for a few years now.

Advertisement