Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birds nesting in our gas outlet pipe

Options
  • 13-09-2007 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

I only noticed last evening when I was out the back working on me bikes but I believe there are a pair if not a family of great tit's nesting in the gas boiler outlet pipe.I only saw one going in but it took a good look around before it went in as if it was protecting it's nest.

What should I do?
    Contact the landlord and let him deal with it?
    Contact board gais and see what they say can be done?
    Should I not use the gas untill they have left the nest or is it the wrong time of year for them too be leaving ,ie; they are there for the winter??

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I assume you mean the exhaust pipe from the boiler?
    It might sound mean, but remove the nest now, before it gets cold and you really need to have the heating on.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

Ya that is what I mean,I do not want too kill the birds and I cannot actually see the nest and the pipe is quiet a small one.They may very well be at the other end of the pipe:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Maybe ring board gais and see what they say as it could be dangerous eg carbon monoxide fumes may be blocked etc. Dont ignore it until it gets too late and the heat has to go on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

I did a quick boogle for bird sanctuaries in Ireland, didn't really come up with anything.

Check out these guys, though - it's the ornithologist's club for Ireland, maybe they would know.

http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭amerden

They are not nesting, far too late in the year, also wouldn't nest in a pipe that is in use, they prefer a hole in a wall/tree or nestbox.

You will find that they are just feeding, they pop in and out of holes looking for insects. So no need to worry just enjoy the experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Amerden is perfectly right. It is much too late for Great Tits to be nesting and even if it wasn't they wouldn't nest there. Check the pipe for obstructions and clear as necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

Thank you for all the replies,will check pipe after work tomorrow with a hook made from a clothes hanger.
    I thought it was strange for them to be nesting this time of year but glad I asked.;)

Advertisement