Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAS storage question

Options
  • 13-09-2007 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I have just bought a new pc. I am left with an old pc that is reasonably good and a collection of IDE hard drives. My new pc has no ide controller. My question is would it be an easy matter to install an ide controller card into my new pc or would it be a major prospect to make the old pc a NAS system. Any replies would be pleasant.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭vir7ual

Stick windows 2000 onto it, connect it to your network and connect 4ide drives into it. You'll need a raid card if you're planning on running anymore disks.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

You could install FreeNas a Linux distro and setup a software raid...it's easy enough and costs nothing to try ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Bravadin

Thanks I'll try the free option first thanks again all.

Advertisement