Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water contaminated in Knocknacarra

Options
  • 13-09-2007 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0913/water.html

just a warning to any more Knocknacarra residents, tis on the news there's e-coli in the water. back to the bottles ond boiling for a bit yet it seems :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭sensitive_soul

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0913/water.html

just a warning to any more Knocknacarra residents, tis on the news there's e-coli in the water. back to the bottles ond boiling for a bit yet it seems :mad:

I wonder if that includes the Cappagh Road, technically/officially Barna.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/MainBody,4051,en.html

so yes apparently.

and isn't Cappagh and Ballymoneen technically part of the township called Shanballyduff?... not that it means anything anyway

..and isn't Cappagh and Ballymoneen technically part of the township called Shanballyduff?... not that it means anything anyway

...huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Oh sweet suffering Jeebus.

Someone had better hang for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

as I sit here drinking a bottle of .. yes ... TAP .. water .. I start to wonder ... what the morning holds in store ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

forbairt wrote:
    as I sit here drinking a bottle of .. yes ... TAP .. water .. I start to wonder ... what the morning holds in store ...

a sore bum? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

ambasite wrote:
    a sore bum? :D

Geddit? Geddit?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Cappagh Rd is Galway water and so is all of Barna now that I think about it :(

The county council should answer straight out if you go in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

so someone was lying when they said all the water was grand then, and they fixed all the problems with the water plants?

hmmm....

don't know where this got in , maybe not from a plant at all .

Knocknatalla is the end of the pipe from Tuam , maybe it was a turpitude caused by lack of pressure that let the critters breed ???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Bex81

Theyre sayin its unrelated
    E coli and Crypto are obviously 2 different bugs
    It just sucks Galway has to suffer twice because of the councils incompetence:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭bugle

i know at the moment its only in knocknacarra, but as i drink 2 litres of tap water at work im starting to become concerned even tho im in the city. The council obviously cant be trusted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I don't know why we're surprised. The typical approach to water treatment in Ireland is to pump it full of chlorine and other chemicals to 'clean' it. Even if there hadn't been a crypto outbreak the water in Galway would have reeked of chlorine for the summer as they pumped it in to deal with the extra pollution. It's funny that other European countries with good water quality records seem to rely mainly on traditional filtration techniques.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭bugle

yeah,i moved to galway a year a go and i have to say i really really noticed that the water reeked of chlorine.im a litre through my daily amount of water.everything is still in working order from what i can tell

All I ask is ...WHY THE F*&^ DO WE PAY TAX AT ALL HUH?????

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Moved to Galway last week and luckily I decided straight away that Galway water tastes disgusting so I wasn't drinking it. Seriously though, would they not have made sure the water was perfect before letting us all drink it again?? I mean, surely someone checked to make sure it couldn't be contaminated with anything??

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Scobius90

Bex81 wrote:
    Theyre sayin its unrelated
    E coli and Crypto are obviously 2 different bugs
    It just sucks Galway has to suffer twice because of the councils incompetence:mad:

Two very different bugs but are potentially from the same source

GCC are saying that this is due to infrastructural works and thus E. coli is not in the water supply as it leaves the water treatment plant but has entered the water system after that. That sounds to me like a burst sewage pipe has contaminated the water supply ..... and which gobsh1te or gobs1te building firm did that? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

What do you expect? Galway people just rolled over the last time and accepted everything the Council did - and voted the same politicians back into office:confused:
    "As ye sow, so also shall ye reap" as it says (somewhere) in the Bible.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Scobius90

Essexboy wrote:
    and voted the same politicians back into office:confused:

ah yeah but this is not the politicians direct responsibility per se .... its the plebs that run and work in the GCC who seem to have their heads firmly stuck up their own ars*s on this issue.

water problems have been ongoing for years in Gal and this and mainly the crypto episode might be just the watershed thats needed to sort out the GCC water supply once and for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭moldypeach

im soo annoyed, we live just on the border of the contamination the amount of juice i've wasted forgetting to use bottled water and down the sink it goes lol
    also does anyone know if it could be linked with the spiddal sewerage going down onto the beach? who knows where else they could be sending it if they can put it onto a beach

• Advertisement

Nope, it got into the system within the city . Spiddal got a blue flag this year, such is the small scale of that outfall and the dilution effect out in the bay .

Boil Notice is Lifted.

Knocknatalla is now safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Scobius90 wrote:
    ah yeah but this is not the politicians direct responsibility per se .... its the plebs that run and work in the GCC who seem to have their heads firmly stuck up their own ars*s on this issue.

water problems have been ongoing for years in Gal and this and mainly the crypto episode might be just the watershed thats needed to sort out the GCC water supply once and for all.

You think?
    The govt announced funding of €6bn on drinking water supplies over the next 2 years. Got their big publicity out of it. Funny thing is, I seem to remember them announcing the same thing about 7 years ago too, only they weren't so loud about how much of it was actually spent or what they achieved....

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭moldypeach

woohoo, safe water again don't know whether i trust it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sarahr

I live in galway

There is a company that have a filter that goes under your sink,,I havnt bought one but i have a leaflet there website is..

http://www.cleanwater.ie/
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/MainBody,4051,en.html

so yes apparently.

and isn't Cappagh and Ballymoneen technically part of the township called Shanballyduff?... not that it means anything anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Advertisement