Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Broadband & Netgear WPNT834 Routers

Options
  • 13-09-2007 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Folks,

I have BT broadband (line) using a Voyager 210 router. Now I also got a NETGEAR WPNT834 4 port ethernet/wireless router from work which I would like to use as well.

I plugged the rj45 from my bt router to the Internet port on my netgear router, rj45 from my pc to netgear and went through the setup wizard but to no avail of connecting to the Internet. I then tried to config the netgear by sticking in my bt username and putting in bt's dns servers but again I cannot get connected to the Internet although all ports on the BT router are showing up fine. I have emailed BT but have not gotten a response from them yet.

Anyone have any ideas on what I need to do?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

goalie wrote:
    Folks,

I have BT broadband (line) using a Voyager 210 router. Now I also got a NETGEAR WPNT834 4 port ethernet/wireless router from work which I would like to use as well.

I plugged the rj45 from my bt router to the Internet port on my netgear router, rj45 from my pc to netgear and went through the setup wizard but to no avail of connecting to the Internet. I then tried to config the netgear by sticking in my bt username and putting in bt's dns servers but again I cannot get connected to the Internet although all ports on the BT router are showing up fine. I have emailed BT but have not gotten a response from them yet.

Anyone have any ideas on what I need to do?

Using a netgear router has absolutely nothing to do with BT and they will not give you support for it and there is no reason why they should.

You need to 'bridge' your voyager router. Or turn off the routing function in the netgear otherwise you have two routing functions conflicting with each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 goalie

Thanks Dub45 - how do I manage to turn off the routing function on the netgear router?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭stanley1

It's on the web interface where you selected PPPOE, should say bridged mode or similar.

Thanks Stanley I will try this when I get home this evening.

Folks,

I can find this anywhere on the netgear router. From my reading on the net it sounds like the Netgear WPNT1384 comes in bridge mode anyways. I found this article on netgear webiste http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101667.asp

In point 4 where it shows PPPOE detected when I try this I get Fixed IP detected which is not the case as I have checked this on BT router. I did erase the router settings when I got it from my ex work colleague. What am I missing here?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Did you do a complete factory reset - that is push in the little button at the back?

The manual is here: http://kbserver.netgear.com/pdf/WPNT834_RM_14Dec05.pdf

Instructions on how to turn off the dhcp function are on page 94. The wonders of Google!

Dub45,

Yip I did q reset to factory default when I first got the router.
    I turned off DHCP server on netgear and did not work with access to IE, I tried turning it off on the BT voyager but it made no difference either. The two routers have an ip address of 192.168.1.1 - I have tried changing it on the netgear but no joy. Really at my last straw here!

I am using straight through rj45 cable from voyager to netgear router. Even when I change netgear router to 192.168.1.2 and give me pc a dhcp address I can piong 192.168.1.2 but cannot ping 192.168.1.1 which is the voyager. Crossover cable would hardly make any difference?

Advertisement