Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can anyone recommend scope for 223

Options
  • 13-09-2007 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi all I have just joined this forum and Iam looking for some advice
    I plan to do some fox lamping this winter and have just bought a 223 sako rifle. problem is iam not sure what scope to put on it
    I will be shooting mostly at night with a lamp and some daytime at rabbits as far out as possable
    my price range is 300-400
    any advice would be welcome
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

poacher wrote:
    Hi all I have just joined this forum and Iam looking for some advice
    I plan to do some fox lamping this winter and have just bought a 223 sako rifle. problem is iam not sure what scope to put on it
    I will be shooting mostly at night with a lamp and some daytime at rabbits as far out as possable
    my price range is 300-400
    any advice would be welcome
    Thanks

Hi poacher,

I have a .223 and have recently put a AGS vipir illuminated mil-dot 6-24 x 50 scope on board. I find it great & have had no probs yet.. Cost about €270.

TJ911...

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭bmcm71

I have a leupold VX3 4.5-14 x 40 and find the light gathering capability of the Leupold far superior to other scopes I have tried. Bought mine online from a dealer in America for half the Irish price.
    Find that higher magnification scopes are great if all the shots are at long distances but if your'e shooting at shorter distances your'e always turning the magnification down to increase the field of view and find your target!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 am i bovvered?

bmcm71 wrote:
    I have a leupold VX3 4.5-14 x 40 and find the light gathering capability of the Leupold far superior to other scopes I have tried. Bought mine online from a dealer in America for half the Irish price.
    Find that higher magnification scopes are great if all the shots are at long distances but if your'e shooting at shorter distances your'e always turning the magnification down to increase the field of view and find your target!!!

can you remember where and what price?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Iv a Leupold on mine as well got in the US, Mark 4, 8.5-25x50 ilum was about €1k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I've a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 on my 'walking around' gun (Remington 700 LVSF in .223), and I find it to be an excellent hunting scope, even in low light situations. The Ballistic Plex recticle is particularly useful for quickly figuring out range and holdover.
    It cost in the region of US$250 or so approximately a year ago, direct from the States.

The NightForce 12-42x56 NXS on my .308 is nothing short of astounding in the near dark, but that exceeds your price range somewhat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 am i bovvered?

Rovi wrote:
    The NightForce 12-42x56 NXS on my .308 is nothing short of astounding in the near dark, but that exceeds your price range somewhat.

The holy grail, used one before, superb scope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Rovi wrote:
    I've a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 on my 'walking around' gun (Remington 700 LVSF in .223), and I find it to be an excellent hunting scope, even in low light situations. The Ballistic Plex recticle is particularly useful for quickly figuring out range and holdover.
    It cost in the region of US$250 or so approximately a year ago, direct from the States.

Where did you get burris ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Where did you get burris ?
    I got it from http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=3413 in January 2006.
    With the 'free' binoculars and a pair of Butler Creek flip up covers added in , the whole thing came to US$261.18, including US$42.20 shipping.
    The VAT/Customs & Excise people missed it, so that was the total price in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Check out www.theriflescopestore.com : Zeiss, Burris, Nikon,... at very good prices plus the guy is very willing to give you a decent bit of info on what he's selling. They're based somewhere upstate NY or CT. I bought a 3-9X40 Zeiss Conquest from them and very pleased with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 poacher

I may be in the states at xmas Maybe I can get a better deal over there vith the exchange rate
    That NightForce is a fair piece of kit Rovi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

I bought a leupold of this ebay seller last year, delivery in 10days and no import duty to be paid, it was nearly half of the price here or UK.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Smart-Gunner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Rovi wrote:
    I got it from http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=3413 in January 2006.
    With the 'free' binoculars and a pair of Butler Creek flip up covers added in , the whole thing came to US$261.18, including US$42.20 shipping.
    The VAT/Customs & Excise people missed it, so that was the total price in the end.

I paid the same for it last month on SWFA.com Burris Fullfield II plus it had a free Garmin Etrex GPS and I bought the Butler Creek flip up covers aswell, US$260 (~€190 with the favourable exchange rate at the moment) that's including shipping to my connections in the US ;) I'm putting it on a .22WMR CZ452 LUX... how do you find it Rovi ??
    Cheapest I saw the Etrex was €80 and I wanted one anyone, so I'm well pleased with that price :D

No can't find the email from the seller but try ebay, www.gunbroker.com or e-gunparts.com. They usually have a good selection.

No can't find the email from the seller but try ebay, www.gunbroker.com or e-gunparts.com. They usually have a good selection.

Advertisement