Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom IP problems

Options
  • 14-09-2007 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

Over the last 4 weeks or so every one or two days I have been having internet drop outs lasting about five minute. Generally between 12pm and 1pm and 6PM and 7PM. Thanks to information gained from my Xbox 360 this seems to be an IP problem. I got on to Eircom support about it this morning an they recommended resetting my router which I did but I am just after having a drop out lasting almost half an hour so obviously it hasn't fixed the problem.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? Is it likely to be a problem with my router or is it something Eircom is doing? Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

What do you mean exactly with IP problem? The IP of the router or that the Xbox changes IP number as the later would be router related not the Eircom line.

Are you using something else at the same time (torrents etc.)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

No I am not using anything else at the same time. From memory (which may be flawed) it said something about not being able to verify its IP with my ISP. I have also reset my router during one of these episodes and it was unable to obtain an IP instead it said the service was unavailable.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Eircom seem to be having DNS issues - try changing them as per here:

http://www.opendns.com/

Actually I'm already using opendns.

Actually I'm already using opendns.

Have you checked your line stats?

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote:
    Have you checked your line stats?

How would I go about doing that?

Just happened again while I was using my PS3. According to the PS3 "This is a DNS problem"

Interesting. Should I change the DNS setting on the router itself to opendns?

Just happened again while I was using my PS3. According to the PS3 "This is a DNS problem"

Interesting. Should I change the DNS setting on the router itself to opendns?

How did you think that you were using Open DNS if you did not change them in the router?

Your line stats are on the start page in the Netopia router in the form xx/yy.

dub45 wrote:
    How did you think that you were using Open DNS if you did not change them in the router?

Your line stats are on the start page in the Netopia router in the form xx/yy.

Altered the DNS setting in my Macs network settings. I was told this would bypass the routers settings.

Altered the DNS setting in my Macs network settings. I was told this would bypass the routers settings.

I presume that might work for the mac but if you dont change them on the router the xbox wont be 'looked after' by open dns.

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote:
    I presume that might work for the mac but if you dont change them on the router the xbox wont be 'looked after' by open dns.

I understand that but when I say the internet drop outs affect everything they affect everything irregardless of whether its using Eircom or Opendns.

Have you changed the router settings to open dns? Have you checked your line stats?

dub45 wrote:
    Have you changed the router settings to open dns? Have you checked your line stats?

No, how would I go about doing that.

If you have the Netopia router you will have to access the main menu page it via http://192.168.1.254 check the various menus to see where the option is to change the dns. Enter the open dsn ones and make sure to click the save new settings option.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭jayo2004

Im having the same problems. I have switched my router and still having problems. I have noticed my ip is now static so something has changed???

I switched my router over to openDNS today (took me this long to work up the courage) so we'll see if it helps.

Still having the issue. I am convinced this is something Eircom is doing.

Still having the issue. I am convinced this is something Eircom is doing.

What gives you this conviction? And what exactly is it that you think they are doing?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Macker1

dub45 wrote:
    What gives you this conviction? And what exactly is it that you think they are doing?:rolleyes:

Sorry to jump in but my 3mb connection is very slow of late. Would Eircom throttle a connection if the download cap had been exceeded. This month I have went over by about 10gb. If they do throttle I would expect that they should communicate this to you and that being the case I would expect that the speed is returned to normal at the beginning of the following month.

Its a pain but if throttling is the reason I would have to hold my hands up because it was my own fault. :(

Macker1 wrote:
    Sorry to jump in but my 3mb connection is very slow of late. Would Eircom throttle a connection if the download cap had been exceeded. This month I have went over by about 10gb. If they do throttle I would expect that they should communicate this to you and that being the case I would expect that the speed is returned to normal at the beginning of the following month.

Its a pain but if throttling is the reason I would have to hold my hands up because it was my own fault. :(

Ring them and ask them if they are throttling you - that should cure your paranoia either way.

There have not been any reports on here afaik of Eircom throttling anyone.

Have you attempted to find out why your speeds might be slow? What are you line stats for example?

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote:
    Ring them and ask them if they are throttling you!

I may have to ring to see what the issue is ????

Have you ever heard of anyone having their connection throttled by Eircom. Its my fault that I've gone over the cap but having said that the stats page on the Eircom site could be a lot more realtime.

Macker1 wrote:
    I may have to ring to see what the issue is ????

Have you ever heard of anyone having their connection throttled by Eircom. Its my fault that I've gone over the cap but having said that the stats page on the Eircom site could be a lot more realtime.

Surely if you have gone over by 10Gb you dont need a stats page to tell you that? As I said above there have been no reports to day afaik of Eircom throttling people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I had some trouble last week with my 3mbs eircom connection. It seems a lot of my neighbours are also connected to eircom via wireless and we were all using the same channel, so I basically changed the channel from the default 7 to channel 10.

You can check what channels your neighbours use with

http://www.netstumbler.com/

To change the wireless channel, connect the ethernet cable to your computer and modem, then go to

http://192.168.1.254/

Click in Wireless > Advanced Configuration Options, then change the Default Channel to one not used by neighbours, I'm using channel 10, the click on Save Changes

DonJose wrote:
    I had some trouble last week with my 3mbs eircom connection. It seems a lot of my neighbours are also connected to eircom via wireless and we were all using the same channel, so I basically changed the channel from the default 7 to channel 10.

You can check what channels your neighbours use with

http://www.netstumbler.com/

To change the wireless channel, connect the ethernet cable to your computer and modem, then go to

http://192.168.1.254/

Click in Wireless > Advanced Configuration Options, then change the Default Channel to one not used by neighbours, I'm using channel 10, the click on Save Changes

I'm not using wireless but thanks for suggestion

Macker1 wrote:
    I'm not using wireless but thanks for suggestion

Have you checked your line stats? What speeds are you syncing at? What speeds are you getting? How are you measuring your speeds?

dub45 wrote:
    Have you checked your line stats? What speeds are you syncing at? What speeds are you getting? How are you measuring your speeds?

Back to normal this morning....... Was it down to contention ??????

Using Irish ISPTest to check speed

The line stats are ................

Line Attenuation
    18/12 dB

SN Margin (dB) 12.00 14.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 18.50 12.00

Normally the connection is fine but of late I'm seeing a slowdown at times.

Macker1 wrote:
    Back to normal this morning....... Was it down to contention ??????

Using Irish ISPTest to check speed

The line stats are ................

Line Attenuation
    18/12 dB

SN Margin (dB) 12.00 14.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 18.50 12.00

Normally the connection is fine but of late I'm seeing a slowdown at times.

Your line stats are excellentnt as regards the attenuation the sn is slightly low might be worth keeping an eye on it to see if it varies at all.

Advertisement