Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Replacement Rear Bulb A4?

Options
  • 14-09-2007 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭

Anybody know what kind of rear bulb a 2004 A4 saloon takes? It has two rear bulbs.One is a combination bulb for both rear lights and brake.It's not this one, it's the other one.I want to get one on the way home from work today.
    Actually any links to websites for future references?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Your indicator??
    Either way pop into a motorfactors and they will just remove the bulb for you and give you the right one!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Moanin wrote:
    Anybody know what kind of rear bulb a 2004 A4 saloon takes? It has two rear bulbs.One is a combination bulb for both rear lights and brake.It's not this one, it's the other one.I want to get one on the way home from work today.
    Actually any links to websites for future references?

Thanks

Just take out the bulb that is blown and walk into any motor factors - they'll have what your looking for. BUT be very careful that the contacts on the bottom of the bulb AND the locator pins on the side of the bulb are EXACTLY the same as the bulb you took out - look out for off set pins. If they are not the same, you will end up with all sorts of unusual problems with the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

It's the rear tail light bulb (not indicator or brake light). The problem is I cannot take open the light as I am in work and have no access to tools to open to lighting unit.I thinks its a P21W?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If it is not the rear normal light or brake light then it must be the rear fog light.

As already mentioned remove the blown bulb and bring it with you to the motor factors. Easiest thing to do.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

• Advertisement

Guys a bit of confusion here I think.

Bazz the bulb is the rear tail light.The A4 has 2 of these and one of them is a combined brake and tail bulb and the other a tail bulb on its own.Its the one thats not the combined bulb.So it's not the indicator,brake light, fog light or reversing light bulbs.

Yop thanks for the link but that refers to the rear brake light bulb and that is not the one.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

They only have 4 bulbs, it has to be a P21 then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭leex

Do you definitely need tools to remove the bulb? Most cars I have seen do not. I'm sure there are exceptions to this. :o

leex wrote:
    Do you definitely need tools to remove the bulb? Most cars I have seen do not. I'm sure there are exceptions to this. :o

Oh ya The Germans don't make it easy!

yop wrote:
    They only have 4 bulbs, it has to be a P21 then

Thanks Yop.

• Advertisement

I don't think you need tools to remove the rear bulb holders. Usually you just pull back a fabric flap and then squeeze two plastic tabs to remove the bulb holder.

U do yes, a starhead screwdriver to release the light, this then it popped out.

yop wrote:
    U do yes, a starhead screwdriver to release the light, this then it popped out.

That's a pile of crap. Why can't they leave it the way it was - after all changing a rear bulb is a basic DIY job. Why make it more difficult for the customer? The genius in Ingolstadt that came up with that idea should be taken out and shot :D

Have a look at yops attachment and you will see how it's done.Doesn't take that long really once you've done it once, but for the life of me I can never remember the type of bulb for replacing as you can see from this thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 JohnW

crosstownk wrote:
    The genius in Ingolstadt that came up with that idea should be taken out and shot :D
    Wait until he tries to change a headlight bulb :eek:

JohnW wrote:
    Wait until he tries to change a headlight bulb :eek:

LOL - The headlight bulbs are no bother once you've removed half the engine:D

Have done it already.nearly tore the hands off myself.ZE Germans make it so hard for the normal Joe Soap to do a bit of DIY on these motors!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

There is a bulb finder listed on this site: http://www.powerbulbs.com/index.asp

It's pretty reliable.

Changed it this evening and it was actually a R5W 12V

Moanin wrote:
    Changed it this evening and it was actually a R5W 12V

Tail light bulb - every other bulb in the rear cluster will be a 21W.

• Advertisement
Advertisement