Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

flies around bins/bushes/patio, newb to gardenin

Options
  • 14-09-2007 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi All,

I just recently moved to a new apt.

In front of my hall door there is a little area with bushes/flowery things, a tiny patio where 2 wheely bins currently reside....

my problem is every time i open the patio doors or the hall door.... we get all the flys from the garden coming in the house.... its really awful

i was thinkin of chopping down the flowery bushes and dis-infecting the bins with domestos or something.......

My question is.... can i wash the path with domestos? or would it stain?
    its rented accomadation so i dont want to ruin the path permanently :(

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,589 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The most likely culprit is the bins, its unlikely that the bushes would cause any problems unless there is a source of maggots in them, like a dead bird or animal, or animal droppings for example. The concrete isn't likely to be a problem either, unless it is very manky. Dont be too quick to cut back the bushes, try the cleaning first.

Make a strong mixture of domestos and water and clean out the bins with it. If they are really dirty you might be better to get a commercial firm to come and clean them, there are people who do domestic bins. Then keep them clean with a slosh round of diluted domestos occasionally.

Its also possible that there is a source of flies somewhere like under a window sill, or in a crack in the concrete and the warm weather has hatched them.

If you feel the concrete is dirty just mix up some domestos and water and sluice it on and brush with a yard brush.

Wear old clothes and rubber gloves while you are sloshing domestos around.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭msdurden

ah cool, thanks a million for that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Poor advice to use Domestos externally, better to use a less corrosive substance but with better cleaning and more versatile capabilities especially around garden areas including plants and pathways etc: Jeyes Fluid.

Bleach products like Domestos contain amonia which must be used carefully and is not intended for washing areas or coming in contact with garden soil etc. Besides it also has a terrible smell, not much better than the one you intend tackling.

Advertisement