Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Law Degree - What job afterwards?

• 14-09-2007 11:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭

Hi, i'm very interested in Law and have a friend doing the Law Degree part-time in Portabello i think as a part of Dublin School of Business.

I'm thinking hard about doing this course next year and am wondering what kind of a job could you get afterwards with that Law Degree?

I know there's a few more years after that to be a Lawyer/Solicitor and even more for Barrister, but all i'm thinking about really is the Law Degree right now.

The DBS site is very broad on prospects and say things like: 'employed in a wide variety of areas including commercial industry, social sciences, politics, the media and the public service.'

Anyone in Law or know about this course, is it recognised on your CV as being a proper law degree or would Trinity etc heads all look down their noses at you and end up not getting a proper law placement etc???

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

It is a proper law degree. It's recognised by both the Kings Inns and Law Society.

I went to Portobello (before it was bought by DBS which only happened recently so I don't know if anything has changed) and I wouldn't advise it. The resources at a students disposal are minimal (to put it nicely) and the course structure is very disorganised (from my experience, first year) and lecturers were unhelpful and condescending (bar one).

It's standard college prospectus nowadays to point out that a law degree can be used for other things than just training in the traditional legal fields but it's up to the individual to seek out these opportunities themselves.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

nads wrote:
    I'm thinking hard about doing this course next year and am wondering what kind of a job could you get afterwards with that Law Degree?

Becoming a lawyer is an obvious one, but it must be said. Other jobs include flipping burgers, working in an office, becoming a rock star, plumbing, accounting, any job that requires a general degree, banking, etc.

What you are unlikely to get is a legal or quasi legal job straight off the bat. These generally go to those who are either qualified as a solicitor/barrister but who don't practice, those who are currently training to be same, and those who are well connected.

A law degree is a good general degree, but that's it, and it doesn't really open up more opportunities than a good arts/business degree does.

Advertisement