Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Fightstar

• 14-09-2007 12:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭

Right, just got the OST for Resident Evil: Extinction and the biggest surprise by far on the album was the Fightstar track. You may remember them as the band with the dude from Busted but the song, Deathcar, is pretty damn good. I had heard some demos from the band and they seemed pretty heavy but this is a step beyond.

You can give it a listen here. I'm sure it won't be to everyone's taste (yes it does have breakdowns) and its nothing really remarkable but its definitely worth a listen.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i recall hearing the first song they had out which wasn't bad at all, but as you say, nothing remarkable. decent enough but not worth my money IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

they are alright yeh.

the busted dude said in an interview that biffy clyro were one of his favourite bands, you can definitely see the influences here

but to me they kind of seem like a poor man's biffy clyro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

I still find it hard to take them seriusly with that guys resume. That song was ok in parts, still sounds like the same old **** for a lot of it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Fightstars album was okish, good singles, the rest was pretty filler though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Paul Kaye, through his Mike Strutter character, summed up Fightstar perfectly

"These fake tough guys are everything that is wrong with music."

Game, set and match :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

They have one song, "Apologise for Nothing" I think, which has some nice bits of riff in it, but in general I find them a rather lame band, indistinguishable from the rest of the diluted hardcore that's out at the mo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

i dunno. i have the two albums (not the ep though) the first one is really good, and the new one (which i decided to preveiw) is actually really good to (although the song floods is far to deliberately ''MUSEy'' for my liking, but 'deathcar' is really good and 'i am the message' and of course the 2 singles)

to be honest the fact that he was able to make music like this after busted get him alot of respect in my book

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Love this band, not ashamed of it either unlike a lot of people i would know.At the end of the day there a pretty darn good band not for everyone like but i think people should stop taking the mic just cause whats his face sold out. At least he is doing what he wants to do now.

And doc j i dont think theese guys are trying to pretend to be tough guys. They deffinatly dont seem it from there vids anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Doctor J wrote:
    Paul Kaye, through his Mike Strutter character, summed up Fightstar perfectly

"These fake tough guys are everything that is wrong with music."

Game, set and match :)
    Really? Nowhere there does he talk about the music, only the bands image in light of their previous outfit. It's also not like the music they're writing now is mainstream so they can't really be accused of selling out. As Patricide said, at least they're doing what they want to do now, its a pity people can't look by what they were in previously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

Fightstar are a pretty decent band. I remember the first time I heard Pahlaniuk's Revenge - been a fringe fan ever since ........ quite liked their last album, fairly decent!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

**** fightstar frankly.if that pretty boy wanted to be taken seriously he should have penned some tunes with less of an eye on the charts than the ones he wrote. he'll never be taken seriously by those in the 'know', pompus as that may sound

Yea although its true, it just shows how people in the "know" often dont know **** cause there too pompus to take there heads outta there asses and listen to music seriously, Not talking about anyone here at all but what really really annoys are people who wont even try to listening to a band properly before giving the view that there absolutly ****e.

I mean you can call charlie simpson the biggest sellout out there (cause lets face it i think we can safely say he is) but to disregard his music because of somthing like that is absolute nd utter nonsense, if you dont like the music thats grand but if you dont like the music cause the guy was in busted etc. there is somthing seriously wrong here.

Then again how many people forget that many famous musicians down the years (people like jimmy paige even) have done session work/writing and never get a word said about em.

^5 Patricide

And your example of Jimmy Page? The dude did a cover of Thank You with Fred Durst on vocals and Wes Scantlin of Puddle Of Mudd on acoustic guitar at the MTV awards, yet he's still untouchable. QED

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

It doesn't help that he used to be in Busted, but I'd still think Fightstar are a sack of crap even if he wasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭nonamemark

gizmo wrote:
    It's also not like the music they're writing now is mainstream so they can't really be accused of selling out

It's not mainstream? Don't make me laugh. Lesson: If it's on Kerrang! it's mainstream. Just because they put in a few "riffs" in between all the emo-esque, watered down post-hardcore (as if it couldn't be watery enough) crap doesn't make them not mainstream. That cabbage can't be forgiven for the travesty that was Busted and like someone quoted, this band are everything that's wrong with mucic

Okay so, flicking through Kerrang now (online of course ;) ) I see stuff about Iron Maiden, Arch Enemy and Down. Machinehead also recently won a Kerrang award. Does that make any of them mainstream? Of course not.

Also, even if it is mainsteam (in this respect, I draw a clear distinction between this mainstream and Busted mainstream) who actually cares? I find it enjoyable, not extremely taxing mind you, but I reckon it's still a good song. The fact that it may be regarded as above makes little to no difference to me. Also who the **** cares what bands he was in previously? If you had heard the song, liked it and were then told who was in it would you suddenly change your mind? I honestly hope not to be honest because its THAT kind of intolerance that's wrong with music.

gizmo wrote:
    Okay so, flicking through Kerrang now (online of course ;) ) I see stuff about Iron Maiden, Arch Enemy and Down. Machinehead also recently won a Kerrang award. Does that make any of them mainstream? Of course not.

Also, even if it is mainsteam (in this respect, I draw a clear distinction between this mainstream and Busted mainstream) who actually cares? I find it enjoyable, not extremely taxing mind you, but I reckon it's still a good song. The fact that it may be regarded as above makes little to no difference to me. Also who the **** cares what bands he was in previously? If you had heard the song, liked it and were then told who was in it would you suddenly change your mind? I honestly hope not to be honest because its THAT kind of intolerance that's wrong with music.
    true this, sure i hate busted, sure i hate that charlie sold out, true fightstar stuff is more mainstream than most, but do i like em yes. Now if you dont like a band thats all cool, slagging off a band because there more mainstream than others? now thats just a bit childish dont you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

There's something about Fightstar for me that makes me want to listen to them over and over again.

I will agree with a previous post that they are a "kerrang band" but they do have some pretty catchy stuff.

I love their latest song and "Waste A Moment" for me is their best song.

Stupid infectious music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭Dave H

I would'nt be a fan of Fightstar or any music of that style but you can't ignore the fact that they are very good at what they do.
    I have to admit,when I first heard that Charlie was leaving Busted to pursue a more serious rock career,I did'nt care. Then when I saw one of Fightstar's videos and saw Charlie singing,I have to say I did'nt care either. The song was catchy enough with enough stomp in it to be good. As I said,not my cup of tea but good for what it is. But one thing that I think is overlooked is that in the time frame between when he left Busted and then emerged with Fightstar (which was'nt actually that long) he managed to put together a solid band that's tight as a nun's knickers.
    But as with debates like Van Halen vs David Lee Roth,did Phil want Dimebag dead,is Tom Cruise really a,you know:eek: , this is something that'll go on forever.
    Thank God for internet forums eh;)

Slightly ot here but Anyone else think the drummers pretty good too? i mean the stuff hes doing isnt overly complicated but his beats are pretty different and fit the music to a T

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Patricide wrote:
    Slightly ot here but Anyone else think the drummers pretty good too? i mean the stuff hes doing isnt overly complicated but his beats are pretty different and fit the music to a T

In my opinion he uses more or less the same beat in the majority of their songs. That's not to say that he isn't good but it fits their music well. For some reason he reminds me of the drummer from 30 Seconds To Mars. Kinda similar style in playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Den_M wrote:
    **** fightstar frankly.if that pretty boy wanted to be taken seriously he should have penned some tunes with less of an eye on the charts than the ones he wrote. he'll never be taken seriously by those in the 'know', pompus as that may sound

Maybe he's just writing songs that he wants to write?

Shame on him.

Advertisement