Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does O2 broadband support VPN?

Options
  • 14-09-2007 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi,

I'm moving to Ardee, County Louth today but working in Dublin, so want to be telecommuting 2 days per week ASAP.

I would get eircom first only for it taking 4 weeks wait to get phone line in then another 2 to get broadband so prefer a quicker solution.

Does O2 broadband work well enough for this type of work?
    I need it to support VPN and be able to VNC to my machine in work.

Any other options other than O2 broadband?
    • Chorus, couldn't get info whether it was supported
    • Wireless/Irish Broadband, couldn't get line-of-sight to the house

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

also www.net1.ie but go down to their office in person !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

I use the Cisco VPN client to login to work remotely over O2 broadband without any issues. I also run Citrix over the VPN connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭zugvogel

ElNino wrote:
    I use the Cisco VPN client to login to work remotely over O2 broadband without any issues. I also run Citrix over the VPN connection.

Hey that's interesting!
    Are you running citirx on EDGE or 3G. What are your speeds like on Irish ISP test? Do you find latency to be a problem?

thks,
    Zug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 corepl

zugvogel wrote:
    Hey that's interesting!
    Are you running citirx on EDGE or 3G. What are your speeds like on Irish ISP test? Do you find latency to be a problem?

thks,
    Zug

It's comfortable enough for interactive work (ssh, telnet etc.). No issues with RDP or VNC.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭zugvogel

corepl wrote:
    It's comfortable enough for interactive work (ssh, telnet etc.). No issues with RDP or VNC.

That's cool.
    Thks for the reply.

Zug

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Technically, VPN / VNS will work fine on Chorus broadband. The only problem is are Chorus capable of supplying a persistant connection in that area? There have been many issues with Chorus over the past months

Advertisement