Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic Ladder

Options
  • 14-09-2007 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

Hi all, wondering if you could help. My boyfriend wants to put in an attic ladder tomorrow. He is insisting on doing it himself even though he's never done anything like this before.

He says you can just buy a ladder and door in Woodies, is this correct? Any pointers from anyone who's done this before?

Thanks a mill!

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Hi all, wondering if you could help. My boyfriend wants to put in an attic ladder tomorrow. He is insisting on doing it himself even though he's never done anything like this before.

He says you can just buy a ladder and door in Woodies, is this correct? Any pointers from anyone who's done this before?

Thanks a mill!

you can buy them in woodies and they come with instructions. i looked at them and then opted to get a company to put mine in, just in case. it only cost €119.00 for the ladder and labour and at least you know its not going to fall down, as you are half way up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Have faith!
    I've never tiled a floor before, but it won't stop me trying.
    If they are available for sale in Woodies, then the average DIYer can handle the work. He'll maybe need assistance from you as they aren't the easiest to support and work on at the same time. Have fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I've put up a couple in my time, but in my current house i got a decent wooden one put in by a pro. IMO anything bought in the likes of woodies is way over priced, the guys in the yellow pages will buy cheaper then you and you'd end up with a better quality ladder IMO.

The cheapo electrical switches and sockets they have are marked up by about 300-400% , I can buy quality goods for the same price as the cheapo stuff hardware shops offer, this is similar enough for lots of other items, wood,fixings, plumbing etc. and possibly attic stairs.

So IMO get someone else to do it at a decent price.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

Advertisement