Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Here's what I saw today (Please read the rules before posting)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I saw a Bentley GT the other day @ the Clontarf end of the Alfie Byrne Rd.
    Saw this today - drool!
    4.2L Jag E-Type

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Saw at the weekend:
    612 Scaglietti, 360 Modena, 355 Berlinetta, Mondial cab & 308GTB4...
    (Images have been resized down)

612Sscag.jpg
    360mod.jpg
    355ber.jpg
    Mondo308GT4.jpg

speaking of the prancing horse, I saw this on the M50 this afternoon
    Image027.jpg

[ pic taken by my passenger ]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

God that Scaglietti's ugly. Remember when Ferraris were pretty?
    288GTO.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Saw an SL55 AMG, no pics unfortunately, German reg.

But for those who want something to like at:
    sl-55-amg-novo-1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,377 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

kbannon wrote:
    [ pic taken by my passenger ]

Elaborate please! A backseat passenger with the camera just to the front right of your head maybe? :p

no - beside me but reaching out open window.
    incidentally we were in pretty much stationary traffic because everyone was rubbernecking at the incident accross on the M50/M1 junction

God that Scaglietti's ugly. Remember when Ferraris were pretty?

I'd love to get a photo of a GTO like that close up.
    I've seen Eddie Irvine in his but didn't have a camera...

btw - often see a DS (and a Jensen Interceptor) parked on Wellington Road D4.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Dawson Street this morning ...

dsc004215fn.jpg
    dsc004222nb.jpg
    dsc004234iy.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Ann Elk

Is taht a dino???

• Advertisement

Ann Elk wrote:
    Is taht a dino???

Sorry , yes just put a title on it ...Ferrari Dino 246 GT (1972)

el tel wrote:
    I'd love to get a photo of a GTO like that close up.
    I've seen Eddie Irvine in his but didn't have a camera...
    btw - often see a DS (and a Jensen Interceptor) parked on Wellington Road D4.
    I don't think Irvine has a GTO - they're as rare as hen's teeth with about 300 homologated and most of them stuffed into armco somewhere. I remember CAR drove Nick Mason's around Scotland once - it was an excellent article, back when CAR could write - 1986 I think. I seem to remember that they said Mason's was one of 50 left, but I could be wrong. Amazing car - 2.8 twin turbo putting out about 400hp and very very light.

I'd like a photo of the DS, if you get a chance. Is the Interceptor maroon in colour?

Just in case you were wondering .. The Dino is not badged as a Ferrari ...

NO 206/246 Dino ever left the factory wearing any sort of Ferrari badge, all such badging is "after market".
    dsc004215fn.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I remember CAR drove Nick Mason's around Scotland once - it was an excellent article, back when CAR could write - 1986 I think.
    Oh my God.
    I remember reading that article in my brand shiny new CAR magazine - when I was 12.
    I can actually still see the pics in my head.

:)

Sharkman that Dino is gorgeous - good spot!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

2.8 twin turbo putting out about 400hp and very very light.
    I understood that the GTO was normally aspirated and didn't have a turbo?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote:
    I understood that the GTO was normally aspirated and didn't have a turbo?
    The 288 had 2 japanese IHI turbochargers and 2 intercoolers. It could almost touch 200mph, which in 1984 was no mean feat. I love it because it manages to be both beautiful and subtly aggressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I think you are talking about two different GTO's here boys !

The original, and the one Mason has is a 250GTO, normally aspirated made in 1961/62 I think !

The one Irvine has was made in the 80's and is a 288GTO, and as pointed out it is a turbo V8. Eddie had this car in Ireland until recently. Not sure if he sold it or just moved it !

Both were homologation specials BTW !

The 288 had 2 japanese IHI turbochargers and 2 intercoolers. It could almost touch 200mph, which in 1984 was no mean feat. I love it because it manages to be both beautiful and subtly aggressive.

Spot on

f_288gto_200.jpg

Click this and then click models on the left and then 288GTO for details

MercMad wrote:
    I think you are talking about two different GTO's here boys !

The original, and the one Mason has is a 250GTO, normally aspirated made in 1961/62 I think !
    Mason also has/had a 288

MercMad wrote:

I was presuming he meant the 288 too. 250 is now extremely rare and valuable (>$10 million). I doubt if any owner would drive it on the public road anywhere

Edit: hmm just read that Mason took his kids to school once in it (250) when another car wouldn't start :D

• Advertisement

Saw an 05-D Vanquish S on Leeson St. today. Black, and the noise coming off it was just unbelievable. (I think I'll post internet pics when I don't have my camera with me, makes the thread that little bit more interesting.)

Aston_Martin_S_V12_Vanquish_5.jpg

Mother of God.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Irvine did have a GTO:
    http://www.classicdriver.com/upload/classicinside/archive/CIUK2004-25.htm

I think he had a 365 as well. Mason has/has had more or less every venerable Ferrari that has ever existed, as has Mr. Gilmour. Nice work if you can get it....

Gatster wrote:

That's the very car I saw him fill up at a garage in Holywood Co. Down a couple of years ago. Totally stunning. He kept it at his house in Dalkey.

Speaking of 250 GTOs - I have an picture I took a wee while ago that I will dig out later and post here.
    I'd like a photo of the DS, if you get a chance. Is the Interceptor maroon in colour?

I'll try to get a pic of the DS (It hasn't been there in a week or two now) and the Jensen - I've only seen it in the dark so can't confirm colour yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Heres Nicks 250 gto..... it was at Silverstone at TGP meeting.

Ferrari250GTOEnzo.jpg

This was parked in my steet back in March. It is *very rare*

Img_0080.jpg
    Img_0081.jpg

Brilliant! I had forgotten about these pics I had (too large, hence the thumbs). These were taken in Rosslare last summer.
    What exactly is it btw?

rosslare0400727bm.th.jpg
    rosslare01100400053zj.th.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

qz wrote:
    Brilliant! I had forgotten about these pics I had (too large, hence the thumbs). These were taken in Rosslare last summer.
    What exactly is it btw?

rosslare0400727bm.th.jpg
    rosslare01100400053zj.th.jpg
    That would be the 250GTO mentioned above :D Lovelly car to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Jensen, eh? Parked in the car park at Newbridge/Newgrange house (whatever it's called) the other Sunday afternoon. Very nice nick, and looked to have been kept that way by actually using it.

jozi wrote:
    That would be the 250GTO mentioned above :D Lovelly car to.
    I think it is more likely to be a capri.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bmoferrall

qz wrote:
    What exactly is it btw?
    My guess is that these are replicas. A garage across the road from Lambe & O'Connor had a couple for sale last year and the guy confirmed they were replicas - no big surprise given their value really.
    ...I doubt if any owner would drive it on the public road anywhere
    There was a documentary on BBC a while back about a Wall Street Exec who bought a genuine GTO in an auction (can't remember how much it went for) with the intention of using it for his daily commute :) . It was quite funny to see him gunning it down one of the interstates. Ride quality seemed a bit compromised to say the least but it sounded awesome; then again one must suffer for the sake of art :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement