Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Most Under Rated Bands/Acts Ever? and Why?

Options
  • 14-09-2007 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

Ok so seeing as there is a "most over rated" thread I thought I'd start this one in the hope of restoring the delicate balance of the universe. This one will probably be a more productive thread as it will be more positive and hopefully will introduce overlooked musical acts to people that otherwise would never have given them a chance, instead of just giving people a place to have a go. No poll in this one as it could really only consist of the bands I feel are over rated instead of peoples opinions in general.

P.S. I think I can hear Karl Hungus' teeth grinding from here at the thought of another "list thread" so please pay close attention to the "and Why?" part of the question. Also if possible try to include a sample of, or link to, your particular choices music.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

Joe Bonamasso. In a bowl, add 75% soaring, feel-oriented blues/rock guitarist. Add a healthy 25% of shred for flavor, and you have the perfect recipe.

Edit: Oops, his name is actually Bonamassa.

watch?v=tcSWbRZ3y5w

Edit2: How do you sharp cats embed a youtube video in a post? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Secret Machines - great band, super anthemic/stoner/proggy/catchy tunes and they just don't seem to be registering in the muso-sphere. Down to two members, about to release their make or break third album

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I don't know, the most underrated band ever is not known to anyone as they have sold no records. Being so underrated they never got signed. :)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

MoominPapa wrote:
    Secret Machines - great band, super anthemic/stoner/proggy/catchy tunes and they just don't seem to be registering in the muso-sphere. Down to two members, about to release their make or break third album

Ace band

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

MoominPapa wrote:

Ahh now see that's what I was hoping for, never heard a Secret Machines song in my life, just listened to 5 or 6 songs on youtube there, can't believe they've been around so long without having ever come across them, incredible stuff, thanks Moomin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

My pleasure:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

MoominPapa wrote:
    a decent band who probably do deserve more attention but I don't know about ''most underrated band ever'' though....

tough thread question actually, i could be thinking about this one for quite a while unlike the most overrated thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Wilco, how their gigs haven't sold out I'll never know

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sme

i'm sure many people will disagree about being underrated, but ben folds. i'm a big fan and try to push his music onto others like a drug but the majority of people whom i talk to about him have never heard of ben folds.

if you don't know he is an excellent singer/song writer/pianist and his musical range is astounding eg. brick/ultimate sacrifice/army/song for the dumped

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Hanson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

Ibid wrote:
    Hanson.

Damn! Ya beat me to it... Musical gods they were :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭klaus flouride

Black sabbath don't get the credit they deserve- i blame it on dat eejit and the t.v. programme, but they r quite well known all the same. Maybe Suicidal Tendencies (They don't name 'em like that anymore!), they were better than rage and limp wristed- but when ever funk metal gets discussed they barely get a word in.

Hawkwind were as good as, if not better, than pink floyd- but they, hawk., are almost forgotten about.

In this country Kerbdog are always mentioned whenever discussing underrated bands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

Sir....I *do* hope you are referring to Classic Hanson, with such monster hits as 'Mmmbop' and 'Rockin' Robin', rather than the mere shell they have become today.....

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This may be a strange one, but I'd like to big-up The Stranglers.

Easily the most successful of the punk-era bands but never really appriciated for the quality of thier songs and craftmanship. Any home made "best of" on a battered C90 beats the hell out of almost any other band form the same timeframe.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Not really under rated here but i think the republic of loose should be doing better over seas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Can.

These guys practically invented alternative music. In 1972. In Germany.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXy9bRGmU0A&mode=related&search=

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

The National come to mind. In Boxer they have released an album as good as the astounding Neon Bible and there back catalogue is excellent as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Finch.

These guys have an arsenal of excellent songs. I have never ever heard any of them played on radio, let alone get a mention. I would much rather hear the acoustic version of "letters to you" instead of "hey there delilah" any day of the week. That song is getting old now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

MoominPapa wrote:

Caught them supporting Interpol on their tour a few years ago... they're not exactly under-rated, just not good enough to break through (mind that I'm not saying they're bad, I actually really like them).

My votes would probably go to Soledad Brothers (great bluesy southern rock).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

mike65 wrote:

Easily the most successful of the punk-era bands but never really appriciated for the quality of thier songs and craftmanship. Any home made "best of" on a battered C90 beats the hell out of almost any other band form the same timeframe.

Mike.
    QFT - C120: Stranglers on one side, Magazine (my nomination - innovative with some catchy numbers but never went far), Suicidal Tendencies, Bauhaus, Woodentops, Joy D, Lene Lovich on flip side = best driving tape ever and going strong after 20+ years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

Second that Holdin the stranglers greatest hits here. The undertones are
    just great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭dantes74

my nomination for most under-rated band is dEUS. a belgian group that unfortunately for most people slipped under the radar. nearly made the break through with the classic song instant street.. also little arithmatics was popular tune

most irish bands are also underrated. take the likes of bell x1 they should be huge. if they were english nme would have them hyped up to the point of superstardom

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Super Furry Animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

dantes74 wrote:
    my nomination for most under-rated band is dEUS. a belgian group that unfortunately for most people slipped under the radar. nearly made the break through with the classic song instant street
    That is an absolutely outstanding song.
    I'm finding it hard to answer this one - under-rated in terms of sales, critical acclaim or being little-known?
    I mean, My Bloody Valentine will never make the top ten and wouldn't be heard of by everyone, but have always been recipients of absolutely gushing praise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Personally I think I'd have to go for Feeder, i genuinly believe in another time and place they could have been the biggest band in the world, such a raw, high energy feel to there stuff, and people never give them enough credit for how lyrically indepth their better songs were, so yeah Feeder, the ultimate feel good rock and roll band of all time.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nu5RtnqJnEU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Sparks - they've influenced everyone from Glam Rock to Synth Pop to Disco Punk to The Darkness.
    Disgracefully underrated because:
    • they were ahead of their time
    • they don't take themselves seriously
    • they're an American band who based themselves in Europe
    • they're quite weird

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

From my own collection it'd be an English band called Seafood.

4 top albums with some seriously great tunes. I go through stages of just listening to them on repeat.

Signal Sparks (great vid) -

Also My Vitriol. Just come back after a long hiatus. Absolutely love 'Always Your Way' cause it takes me back to when I was 15 and I was discovering 'proper' music -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I think Garbage are very underrated.

Shirley Manson doesn't get half the credit she deserves as a vocalist. I can't think of any other singer who can convey "heartbroken vulnerable girl" or "cold evil bitch" with their vocal aswell as she can.

"Milk" is one of the most haunting songs I've ever heard.

I've heard them accused of being samey/repititive, which is ridiculous. Listening to beautifulgarbage and Bleed Like Me is almost like listening to 2 different bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

the darkness, great songs, the music is so well crafted on the first album but people couldn't get past the joke ie fun aspect to their music. Second album was decent enough too albeit with a few crap songs, but still it was quite good. Saw them live in the point in feb 06 and they were amazing, the second album songs sounded way better live for some reason and they put on a brilliant spectacle, Justin Hawkins flew in on a pair of boobs, the pyrotechnics rocked too.

Stone Gods are ok but no replacement imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

mike65 wrote: »
    I don't know, the most underrated band ever is not known to anyone as they have sold no records. Being so underrated they never got signed. :)
    Oh yeah, I love those guys. They're excellent! :)

Advertisement