Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

We are lagging behind in drinking league

• 14-09-2007 1:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭

Ireland is only second in the list for alcohol consumption excuses have been put forward, but to me they are not acceptable I think we should blame Steve Stan staunton on this one!
    LUXEMBOURG glugs more than 15.5 litres of alcohol per person in a year, more than any other country. One explanation is that the duty on alcohol is relatively cheap in the tiny nation, encouraging booze tourism from its more heavily taxed neighbours. No such explanation for the Irish, however, who quaff 13.7 litres a year, according to the World Health Organisation. European countries, with their cultural acceptance of alcohol, tend to dominate the top places. In America, where stricter minumum-age requirements apply, the average person drinks 8.6 litres a year

http://www.economist.com/research/articlesBySubject/displaystory.cfm?subjectid=7933596&story_id=9325487

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Second is the first loser! Get dem pints inte ye, folks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

DaveMcG wrote:
    Second is the first loser! Get dem pints inte ye, folks!

I plan to drink my yearly quota of 13.7 litres this weekend and encourage everyone else to take heed and dont get in my way when Im driving home from the pub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Rob_l wrote:
    Ireland is only second in the list for alcohol consumption excuses have been put forward, but to me they are not acceptable I think we should blame Steve Stan staunton on this one!

http://www.economist.com/research/articlesBySubject/displaystory.cfm?subjectid=7933596&story_id=9325487

This should be in the BG&RH forum where we are well practiced in dealing with such scurrilous accusations ! Second indeed !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Milk Lover

Rob_l wrote:
    I plan to drink my yearly quota of 13.7 litres this weekend and encourage everyone else to take heed and dont get in my way when Im driving home from the pub

13.7 litrs of alcohol??
    beer is in around 4%
    thats around 342.5 litres of beer.
    id doubt youd drink that in one weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I think they measure alcoholic drinks and not pure alcohol. If 13.7 was the average alcohol ingested, that would be nearly 2 cans a day per person average. Or 550 5% cans a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Milk Lover wrote:
    13.7 litrs of alcohol??
    beer is in around 4%

Gareth Keenan, is that you???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

Dey Took Ur Jerbs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I think whoever made the graph was a bit drunk themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Would have thought the Germans would be up there with the best of them, they're 8th though, pfft.

Milk Lover wrote:
    13.7 litrs of alcohol??
    beer is in around 4%

I accept your challenge and I shall do it all while travelling backwards around the world in a balloon

• Advertisement

Would have thought the Germans would be up there with the best of them, they're 8th though, pfft.

the germans are useless I mock their big forthy beers with mroe head than real content

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Giblet wrote:
    I think they measure alcoholic drinks and not pure alcohol. If 13.7 was the average alcohol ingested, that would be nearly 2 cans a day per person average. Or 550 5% cans a year.
    I'm fairly sure they measure it in pure alcohol. There are plenty of people in this country who'd drink at least one can when they get home from work each day, and probably 12-16 over the course of a weekend.

Even your average joe might have 5 cans on a Friday night and another five on Saturday, which is 10 per week, or 1.4 per day. Close enough to your 2 per day.

13.7 litres of dissolved alcohol works out about 30 pints a year. Or about 2.5 pints per month, per person. We drink way more than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭cmoney

13.7 litres a year but sure thats only like 26 pints (roughly) a year.... theres no way thats right!! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Milk Lover wrote:
    13.7 litrs of alcohol??
    beer is in around 4%

Still though it's only a little over 11.5 pints a week. Considering that most beer is a bit over 4% we'll call it 11 pints.

So lads if everyone drinks 11 pints this weekend (or it's equivalent) then we'll be on the right track. I've a head start in that I was out on Wednesday and got the majority of my weekly consumption done and dusted.

SO come on boys or the next thing you know those dang Hungarians we'll be passing us out for 2nd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

But for every one pioneer someone has to drink double their quota, how many pioneers we got in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

kevmy wrote:
    Still though it's only a little over 11.5 pints a week. Considering that most beer is a bit over 4% we'll call it 11 pints.

So lads if everyone drinks 11 pints this weekend (or it's equivalent) then we'll be on the right track. I've a head start in that I was out on Wednesday and got the majority of my weekly consumption done and dusted.

SO come on boys or the next thing you know those dang Hungarians we'll be passing us out for 2nd

Oh, don't you worry about me. I probably double that quota easily :>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

But for every one pioneer someone has to drink double their quota, how many pioneers we got in Ireland?

nipplenuts wrote:

Nothing worse than a quitter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 TerryTate

I don't believe those figures for a second, who ever compiled them would probably bin them if they spent a year going out around the country. I see in the UK they are thinking of fining anyone who is abusive to A&E staff, good idea, make some money from these morons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

seamus wrote:
    I'm fairly sure they measure it in pure alcohol. There are plenty of people in this country who'd drink at least one can when they get home from work each day, and probably 12-16 over the course of a weekend.

Even your average joe might have 5 cans on a Friday night and another five on Saturday, which is 10 per week, or 1.4 per day. Close enough to your 2 per day.

13.7 litres of dissolved alcohol works out about 30 pints a year. Or about 2.5 pints per month, per person. We drink way more than that.
    Factor in children, those who don't drink too often and those who don't drink at all.

As for quotas, I did mine on Wednesday, topped up last night and have a christening tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Terry wrote:
    Factor in children, those who don't drink too often and those who don't drink at all.

As for quotas, I did mine on Wednesday, topped up last night and have a christening tomorrow.

Pouring beer over a child doesn't count. It must be ingested as per the WHO rulebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'll admit, ive been slacking off recently, but godammit, I've served me time. Why arent the future generations stepping up to the mark? I blame all this PC nonsense about mature enjoyment of alcohol. Our international fame is based on our reputation as lovable dipsos fer christ sakes.

Bambi wrote:
    I'll admit, ive been slacking off recently, but godammit, I've served me time. Why arent the future generations stepping up to the mark? I blame all this PC nonsense about mature enjoyment of alcohol. Our international fame is based on our reputation as lovable dipsos fer christ sakes.

lets blame diageo and the drunk sensibly campaign

instead they should be encourageing binge drinking to excess
    they make extra profit and we enjoy it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd my quota reached around mid May - so I'll be doing my duty for the rest of the year and hopefully, taking the Rugby World Cup and Christmas into account, I'll have compensated for 2.5 pioneers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Terry wrote:
    Factor in children
    I'm fairly sure that they caculate the stats based on the number of adults over the legal age. So there's probably some inflation because the alcohol drank by the 12-17 age group is attributed to the 18+ age group.

I would imagine that young people compensate with some gusto for those who don't drink/much.

seamus wrote:
    I'm fairly sure that they caculate the stats based on the number of adults over the legal age. So there's probably some inflation because the alcohol drank by the 12-17 age group is attributed to the 18+ age group.

I would imagine that young people compensate with some gusto for those who don't drink/much.

lads lads whats with the technicalities
    why cant we all just get drunk and sort this out like men

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭ansionnachclist

I think we should bow our heads in shame. We just got our arse's handed to us by a tiny pimple-like country on the face of this Earth. I'm appalled at all of your lack of... how shall I say this: Irishness?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Only second place! you know things here are going down the tubes when we cant even outdrink the Luxembourgers! Im not taking any responsibility! 6 bottles of Corona, a bottle of Rose and 4 pints last night! For Shame!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Hydromonkey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Probably because we're charged more :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

I'd say that they are neglecting to include the underage drinkers in that survey. What's the legal age to drink alcohol in Luxembourg? 16? They have a head start there then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

I have my weekly quota on an average night. Sometimes more over a weekend

Advertisement