Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Poor Stephen Ireland

• 14-09-2007 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/
    Ireland sets the record straight 14/09/2007 13:17

Statement from Stephen Ireland.

“I wish to explain the circumstances surrounding my departure from the Republic of Ireland international squad following the Euro 2008 qualifier against Slovakia in Bratislava last Saturday.

“When the game ended our manager Stephen Staunton took me outside the dressing room into the corridor along with the Ireland team doctor. He told me that they had taken a call from my girlfriend, Jessica, and she said my grandmother had died.

“I was deeply shocked because I believed it was my maternal grandmother who had brought me up from when I was five. The manager went back into the dressing room to get my phone and when I got it I immediately rang my girlfriend to get more details.

“My girlfriend was distraught and explained that she had just suffered a miscarriage. Jessica said she was very lonely and wanted me to come home. She said she thought they might let me home quicker if they thought my grandmother had died.

“When I finished the call I told the manager and doctor that my grandmother had died and because we were very close I wanted to go home immediately. The manager said that was no problem and he would get the FAI to sort it out.

“The FAI hired a private jet to get me home and I flew out of Bratislava the following morning. Before I left I told the FAI media officer that the name of my grandmother was Patricia Tallon.

“Early on Monday morning I got a phone call from Stephen Staunton telling me that the FAI had discovered my grandmother in Cork was not dead. He wanted to know what was going on and I told him that there had been a mistake and it had been my father’s mother. I told him her name was Brenda Kitchener, that she lived in London.

“Jessica and I were still very upset over the miscarriage so we flew home to Ireland for a few days.

“On Thursday, I got a phone-call from Manchester City stating that the FAI had discovered that my grandmother, Brenda Kitchener, was also alive. I decided at that stage that I must tell truth and admit I had told lies.

“I realise now that it was a massive mistake on my part to tell the FAI and Manchester City that my grandmothers had died and I deeply regret it. The miscarriage that Jessica suffered last Saturday has caused both of us a lot of heartache and had caused us both to panic.

“It was wrong and I sincerely apologise, particularly as I caused a lot of problems for many people.

“I would like to apologise to my grandmothers and all my family for any distress I have caused them.

“Ireland manager Stephen Staunton, my Ireland team-mates, the backroom staff and the FAI also deserve my profound apologies. I truly appreciate that the extraordinary lengths they went to put my welfare first and ensure I got home from Slovakia as quickly as possible.

“I am also sorry for causing Manchester City any embarrassment and apologise to the supporters of both Manchester City and Ireland for misleading them and the media.

“I love playing for my country and am grateful for the understanding Mr Staunton and the FAI have shown to me since I told them the truth.

“I have learnt a valuable lesson from this mess and hope those I have hurt by my actions will forgive me.”

Stephen Ireland

What a horrible story.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

what an idiot tbh.

you don't go saying someone has died only to be found alive, get caught out and say another person has also died who is also alive.

he gets no sympathy from me tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

His girlfriend just had a miscarriage.

He was obviously confused and grieving ffs.

Tell you what, when your wife or girlfriend has one try to keep a cool and collected head.

Maybe she asked him not to tell anyone.

Get a grip tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

hope the fai charge him for the private jet, Your girlfriend loses a baby or your granny dies, they would have still let him home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Cremo wrote:
    what an idiot tbh.

you don't go saying someone has died only to be found alive, get caught out and say another person has also died who is also alive.

he gets no sympathy from me tbh.
    he gets sympathy from me on the basis that he has just lost a child.

I know it would shake me up and i don't think i'd be able to think clearly in the same situation.

I hope he, Jessica, and his family can get through what must be a tough time for them. And I hope the incident is not used against him in the future.

He should have told the truth, and I would hope the FAI would have ben just as understanding as they initially were, but he didn't. He has suffered something terrible, and deserves no backlash at this time. IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

wat an idiot. feel sorry for him but wtf was he thinking?!?

hope he is gonna pay for the 'private jet' himself?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

I was explaining this to one of the girls in the office and she said 'fúck em their useless anyway' sums up the whole situation really.
    Tough on the kid, but as said before silly thing to do, it will give Stan another excuse to cover up his inabilities.

Maybe the girlfriend didn't want her personal business splashed all over the papers.

Understandable tbh.

OK, Ireland went about the wrong way, but he had just lost a child.

I'm sure he was upset.

People calling him an idiot would want to cop the fúck on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

wat an idiot.

The ironing is delicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Having gone through the same thing a while back, I feel for Ireland and the GF. But still, no need to lie about it.

• Advertisement

FatherTed wrote:
    no need to lie about it.
    There was if the gf asked him to tbh.

Hmm, he should have just said it was a family emergency I suppose.

But he was obviously very upset, and not thinking straight.

Fairly gforgiveable, given the circumstances.

Anyone who cannot see that needs their head read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Ah, he's a footballer. Most of them isn't the smartest.

fair enough if she didn't want it splashed all over the papers, that plan kind of backfired didn't it really?

someone very close to me - allbeit not a partner - actually did have a miscarriage so i know to some degree what it feels.

he could of told the truth but nothing been released to the media except for "personal reasons".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Its understandable and forgivable but that doenst mean it was a stupid thing to do lieing about the first granny was one thing he didnt need to complicate it by saying the other one was dead.
    If he had just said it was an urgent personal manor the FAI woundt have asked any more questions.
    altough he mightnt have got a private jet granted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Poor guy. He obviously just completely panicked and then had to lie his way out of it. Id imagine she had asked for it not to be everywhere. Yeah he should obviously have just had it released as family problems, but since she had already said about the gran he probably though it was easier to keep up that charade. Micah Richards on Soccer AM was saying he's not the brightest spark in the team..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Micah Richards on Soccer AM was saying he's not the brightest spark in the team..

You know somethings wrong when Micah Richards is questioning your intelligence.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    The ironing is delicious.

say wat now?!

as i said, i do feel sorry for him, but he should have just told the FAI the truth and they would have just said he was released due to personal problems, but he is young and he'll learn. wont hold it against him in the future anyway but it was a silly thing to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Poor lad.
    I couldn't give a flying fúck if he lied to the FAI or Stan.

Somethings in life are more important!!!

say wat now?!

you called stephen ireland an idiot, but you did so using text speak or just a typo.

there was irony there, yet he went and insulted you by using ironing instead of irony.

if it was the latter (typo) it was fairly uncalled for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Cremo wrote:
    you called stephen ireland an idiot, but you did so using text speak or just a typo.

there was irony there, yet he went and insulted you by using ironing instead of irony.

if it was the latter (typo) it was fairly uncalled for.
    not likely to be the same typo twice... BUT how is it insulting to use a phrase from the simpsons? What the hell is insulting about it?

• Advertisement

Gillie wrote:
    Poor lad.
    I couldn't give a flying fúck if he lied to the FAI or Stan.

Somethings in life are more important!!!
    Exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

poor guy, i do feel sorry for him but it's still a ridiculous thing to do, especially to the rest of the family. it could have caused a fair bit of distress if you hear a relative had died in the media!

thanks for clearing that up. was uncalled for-but nothing suprises ya with some people on these boards

edit:aint up on my simpsons, if its from that well then fair enough :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Nobody can say how they'd react in that situation - he panicked, and he obviously thought that he might not get home if he told the truth (although surely he would have?). It was wrong of him to say his grandmother died, but I think he can be forgiven for not thinking straight ffs, nobody can say how they would've acted after being shellshocked like he was. He apologised, that should be the end of the matter.

exactly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sorry shock or not shock he still had the presence of mind to tell a lie. Whatever about his girlfriends want for privacy, which is entirely right, he need not have lied. All he needed to do was give his reasons in private to Staunton and let him brief the press while giving nothing too personal away.

It can be done.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Poor lad. He certainly doesn't need to be punished for this. The girlfriend thought he wouldn't be allowed home if he hadn't said the grandmother had died and in the heat of the moment he probably believed that too, but to be fair to the lad he had to leave. Lying to prevent this from going public is perfectly forgivable tbh.

And he has apologised. Give him some room to get over a terrible loss and let it pass. Billing him for the plane is petty.

honestly dont think so, death in the family or no death in the family, a private jet is excessive. and he should be billed for it.

i realise i sound cold hearted, but seriously there would have been numerous commercial flights to ireland and/or the UK he could have gone on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Agree with everyone who is in the "he lost a kid, lay off him" camp. It would have been better if he told the truth. But people do wierd things when faced with tremendous stress and strain.

What age is he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

He's 19, and just lost his child, whatever he did is completely understandable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

best bit about this story is that not one, but two relatives of his read about their own deaths in the press.

if she had a miscarraige, she has my deepest sympathies. but that does not excuse his outrageous behaviour in not only continuing the lie, but when they were found out, creating a second one. its unnacceptible as well as unneccesary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

mike65 wrote:
    Sorry shock or not shock he still had the presence of mind to tell a lie. Whatever about his girlfriends want for privacy, which is entirely right, he need not have lied. All he needed to do was give his reasons in private to Staunton and let him brief the press while giving nothing too personal away.

It can be done.

Mike.
    In fairness it was nothing to do with "presence of mind". He just did what his hysterical girlfriend told him to do.

The second granny was a case of being in a hole and making the poor decision to keep digging rather than climbing out. The "damage" had been done by then in any event.

You'd want to be pretty heartless to ask for the cost of the flight to be billed to him. The FAI are bad, but they havent reached those depths yet.

He made a mistake. He apologised. End of story IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

PHB wrote:
    He's 19

This story should just be allowed to die a quick death so.

heartless? how much does it cost to charter a private jet? 50k? that could be going towards a decenet managers salary! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

In fairness it was nothing to do with "presence of mind". He just did what his hysterical girlfriend told him to do.

The second granny was a case of being in a hole and making the poor decision to keep digging rather than climbing out. The "damage" had been done by then in any event.

You'd want to be pretty heartless to ask for the cost of the flight to be billed to him. The FAI are bad, but they havent reached those depths yet.

He made a mistake. He apologised. End of story IMO.

Absolutely hit the nail on the head there.

Very sad news for him and his girlfriend, he apologised so leave them be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I had read in a few different forums that there was sometime strange about his reasons for leaving but I was quite shocked when I found out the actual reason. Poor lad. You have to feel sorry for him.

And I can understand where the lying came from, his girlfriend obviously just thought that no questions would be asked if she said it was his Granny that died and so did he and when found out he just went with the same lie but different person. A bit silly but understandable.

It does beg the question as why he didn't feel that he could just tell Stan the truth.

The first thing that came into my mind after reading about the whole thing on the BBC website was "what a plonker". I'm not afraid to say it either. In fact for the preview of today's Joe Duffy show they were saying that the story of his grandmother dying was a practical joke by somebody. So it seems they were trying to cover the whole thing up with another story, another lie.

He should not play for the Republic again. All he had to do was tell the truth and because he didn't he displayed a lack of character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

BaZmO* wrote:
    It does beg the question as why he didn't feel that he could just tell Stan the truth.

Because Stan is a moron and the last thing you'd want to hear after a personal tragedy like this is to hear his idiotic mumblings so I'd fill him with some bull**** story too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

He should not play for the Republic again.
    Ha!

All I can do is laugh at that suggestion.

• Advertisement

Because Stan is a moron ....
    It was rhetorical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

poor guy, i do feel sorry for him but it's still a ridiculous thing to do, especially to the rest of the family. it could have caused a fair bit of distress if you hear a relative had died in the media!

my own take on it...

Stephen Ireland's girlfirend gets through and says his Granny died.

FAI see chance to pull out all the stops, get a private jet creating some news to detract from a really sh*t result.

"now, the poor man's granny died, there are more important things then 2-2 draws"

I'd imagine that the granny thing was just because Ireland and his girlfriend didn't really want to share that information with the FAI.

I am blaming them for everything regardless, by my reckoning there's also a good chance that they were also behind 9-11 and the recent stock market collapses :D

DELANEY OUT!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Wow, footballer from the other side of the world dies, its RIP x 100, Irish international has a family tragedy and half of you want him burnt at the stake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Like everyone I have sympathy for the pair of them, but this is more than just making a mistake. He lied about it twice, the second time a couple of days after he got home.

I firmly believe if he had not been rumbled (which is nigh on impossible!) that he would never have owned up to it - that is a disgrace.

I just saw a press conference with Sven and he seemed utterly disgusted with Irelands actions. Of course we should sympatise with them, but he has to be brought to book over this or he won't learn anything from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

He should not play for the Republic again.

Crazy talk Carlee Great Toothache, FFS, he's a young lad that f*cked up in a tough situation.
    As for billing him for the jet, that would be a heartless thing to do.
    He f*cked up, the boy has apologised case closed.
    We all make mistakes, that's why pencils have erasers.......

DeadSkin wrote:
    We all make mistakes, that's why pencils have erasers.......
    If only I had a big John Delaney sized eraser.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

He has my sympathies. Don't know how I'd react to such a horrible situation. I hope I never have to deal with something like that. Can't believe the attitude of some people on this thread though.

As for the guy who said he should never play for the country again, grow up ffs. :rolleyes:

As for the guy who said he should never play for the country again, grow up ffs. :rolleyes:

NO U!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Well clearly he wasn't thinking straight after the news (very understandable) but to go through all this rigmarole about his grandparents etc. is bizarre in the extreme. As for suggesting he never play for his country again, give us a break will ya?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

BaZmO* wrote:
    If only I had a big John Delaney sized eraser.....

HA LOL :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement