Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Poor Stephen Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

Gillie wrote:
    Poor lad.
    I couldn't give a flying fúck if he lied to the FAI or Stan.

Somethings in life are more important!!!

Here Here.

Family comes beofre any football match, dont care what any one says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

bohsman wrote:
    Wow, footballer from the other side of the world dies, its RIP x 100, Irish international has a family tragedy and half of you want him burnt at the stake.

apart from the one guy saying he should never play for Ireland again who has called for him to be "burnt at the stake"!?!??! all some of us are saying is that he shouldn't have lied . . . that it was a stupid thing to do, especially twice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭soupie

Anyone calling for his head is out of order, he is 21, he panicked he had a woman probably in hysterics on the end of the phone (and never under estimated the power of a woman when she is hysterical). We all make them just not in the public eye. He probably just didnt know what to do when the first lie got out. It was silly but I would be more concerned with my GF than FAI, Stan and Erickson, I'm sure his family where well aware what was happening.

Suggesting he doesn’t play for Ireland again is just stupid, hate to work with you guys.

And as for Erickson looking disgusted Google his name and you will find a whole lot worse!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

He has my sympathies. Don't know how I'd react to such a horrible situation. I hope I never have to deal with something like that. Can't believe the attitude of some people on this thread though.
    Well, considering roughly a quarter of pregnancies end this way, I'd say prepare yourself.

Ireland made a silly mistake, and has rightly apologised for it. Moving on...

I feel he should be ostracised completely from society. Cast out. Children should point and call him names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

like anyone with an ounce of compassion my heart goes out to Stephen and his girlfriend

however, that should not stop anyone from speaking out about the lack of professionalism with his lies about situation to the Irish management. Under the difficult circumstances one heat of the moment lie is forgivable but two is unacceptable

like someone else mentioned why did he not feel comfortable with telling the truth initially? The FAI showed themselves to be more than accommodating under the impression he lost his grandmother. I think most people would consider your partner having a miscarriage to be far more serious than losing an elderly grandmother. Even though i understand what a traumatic time miscarriages can be for people his actions still make no sense to me

either way, he has apologised, learned his lesson and a line should be drawn under the affair. i wish him well

But what about this other "story" on the LiveLine preview? That it was a practical joke made against Stephen? I didn't hear the show but I'm sure I heard this. Another lie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

I feel he should be ostracised completely from society. Cast out. Children should point and call him names.

Ugghhh!!!!! Grow up

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

He is obviously a bit dim but possibly it is understandable in his situation, at least the first lie. The second one is incredible imo. After hearing that I am actually suspicious he is still lying. I know it sounds heartless but do we have any proof he is actually telling the truth this time?

• Advertisement

exactly! Good point.

copacetic wrote:
    He is obviously a bit dim but possibly it is understandable in his situation, at least the first lie. The second one is incredible imo. After hearing that I am actually suspicious he is still lying. I know it sounds heartless but do we have any proof he is actually telling the truth this time?

to be honest, same thing came into my mind. boy who cried wolf and all that.

maybe its just my harsh cynical view of the world though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Jaysus, who gives a flying f**k if he lied.
    At least he's apologised for the information mess and now let the poor lad, and his girlfriend grieve for losing their child.

Delaney hasn't apologised for lying about getting us a 'World Class' manager.
    Focus your anger on him ffs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

tricky situation to be in, but he should have had the balls to stand up to staunton or the fai and say, here i'm away, i'm needed back home and leave it at that..

imagine what his grandparents would have thought? if you were apparently dead and you didn't know about it :rolleyes:

he brought more people into the situation than he needed to and just dug a hole for himself, done himself no favours whatsoever..

Also would it follow that Stephen could be to blame for our loss of qualification due to his absence? They were saying this on that LiveLine preview when the story was that his grandmother's death was a bad practical joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Also would it follow that Stephen could be to blame for our loss of qualification due to his absence? They were saying this on that LiveLine preview when the story was that his grandmother's death was a bad practical joke.
    Jesus give it up Carlee Great Toothache. I haven't seen this level of trolling since....well since KdjaCL on Wednesday night actually. But apart from that you're definitely the worst.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

that's complete BS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Pighead wrote:
    Jesus give it up Carlee Great Toothache. I haven't seen this level of trolling since....well since KdjaCL on Wednesday night actually. But apart from that you're definitely the worst.

You just got there ahead of me Pighead :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

wonder how the FAI found out about both "deaths"?! They must check these things out...or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Pighead wrote:

KdjaCL could learn a thing or two from Ireland and issue a public apology. :D

Edit:
    wonder how the FAI found out about both "deaths"?! They must check these things out...or something

meh, they were probably trying to find out in order to send condolences/representatives to the funeral or whatever the usual thing they do is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I'm not sure how anyone can lambast him, he's come out and told the truth now, so lets draw a line under it and move on.

He's a good player and seems a nice lad as well, these things happen and it's hard to say how anyone would react in the circumstances.

All you can do is wish himself and his GF the best in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Gillie wrote:
    Poor lad.
    I couldn't give a flying fúck if he lied to the FAI or Stan.

Somethings in life are more important!!!

Agreed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

wat an idiot. feel sorry for him but wtf was he thinking?!?

hope he is gonna pay for the 'private jet' himself?!
    I wonder how many of your 1000+ posts have been worth the effort. Seriously, if you were away with work abroad and you got the news that your gf had a miscarraige you'd lie to get home if need be. In fairness you shouldn't need to lie if your employer had a heart (but we are talking about the FAI here). Saying that he should pay for the flight is a disgrace. Go back to living under the bridge.

Anyone with a heart would feel sorry for the poor lad. 19, weight of the country's football hopes resting on him after the 1st game and he gets that call. It's an awful story and the sooner it's forgotten about the better.

EDIT: he's gotta feel awful for both his grandparents. How do you face them after that. Nothing good about it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

TBH to the people who say he should pay for the jet, I think a miscarraige is more diserving of a jet the a dead granny. Knowing what its like when you get that call, getting to your wife/girlfriend is the only thing you want to do, getting a private jet for the death of a grandmother is excessive,

The guy is young he acted on the moment, probably didnt want media attention, people should leave it at that, checking up on the story, or letting it get to a situation that required him to apoligise is unfortunate.

Thoughts go to him and his girlfriend

sprinkles wrote:
    I wonder how many of your 1000+ posts have been worth the effort. Seriously, if you were away with work abroad and you got the news that your gf had a miscarraige you'd lie to get home if need be. In fairness you shouldn't need to lie if your employer had a heart (but we are talking about the FAI here). Saying that he should pay for the flight is a disgrace. Go back to living under the bridge.

Anyone with a heart would feel sorry for the poor lad. 19, weight of the country's football hopes resting on him after the 1st game and he gets that call. It's an awful story and the sooner it's forgotten about the better.

EDIT: he's gotta feel awful for both his grandparents. How do you face them after that. Nothing good about it at all.

as i've said through the thread (incl the one you quoted me on), i do feel sorry for him.
    to answer your question; if i was away with work abroad and i heard my gf had a miscarriage, i'd go to my boss, explain wat had happened, tell them to keep it to themselves and i'd make/let my company arrange to get me home.

thats wat he should have done. not say someone died, then when he is caught out on that lie, say someone else died, and then only come clean when his second lie is found out.

i'm rather happy with the content of the majority of my posts thank you very much :) and i dont live under a bridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

To be fair twas his girlfriend who originally said his grandmother died. Poor lad was probably too distraught to go through the whole hassle of the furore that would have ensued if he told the truth immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

I really feel for the guy, suffering a miscarriage at his age must have been pretty tough. He obviously just got caught up in a small lie that he thought he'd get away with (the old distant family death) that just came back and bit him in the ass.

I don't see charging him for the plane as being excessively petty once they forgive the guy, offer him their condolences and move on. He made a mistake, everyone feels for the guy but it doesn't mean you can just brush what must have cost a lot of money under the carpet. If it were any of us I'm sure we'd offer to pay for the jet after making a mistake like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I don't see charging him for the plane as being excessively petty once they forgive the guy, offer him their condolences and move on. He made a mistake, everyone feels for the guy but it doesn't mean you can just brush what must have cost a lot of money under the carpet. If it were any of us I'm sure we'd offer to pay for the jet after making a mistake like that.
    Apparently 15K and not the 50k that some have suggested in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Some classy posts on this thread:rolleyes:

Sorry for his loss.He lied twice,oh the shock of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

christ lads he obviously freeked out . Leave him alone.
    How many people here have got that phone call???
    Its not good i tell ya. Tis different story when its your own bird.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

honestly dont think so, death in the family or no death in the family, a private jet is excessive. and he should be billed for it.

i realise i sound cold hearted, but seriously there would have been numerous commercial flights to ireland and/or the UK he could have gone on.

this is exactly what I thought when I read the story. I do feel sorry for him but what were the FAI thinking putting on a private jet?

How much did that cost? €100-200 k?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

this just came to me, how the hell must his grandmothers be feeling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

dubmick wrote:
    If you were buying one yeah it probably would cost that much alright.

Cremo wrote:
    this just came to me, how the hell must his grandmothers be feeling?
    I reckon they'd understand and would have their grandchild's best interests at heart at a time like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Ah, he's a footballer. Most of them isn't the smartest.

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

DSB wrote:
    I reckon they'd understand and would have their grandchild's best interests at heart at a time like this.

you are working on the assumption the miscarriage part is the only bit of the story that isnt a lie....

I know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

dubmick wrote:
    this is exactly what I thought when I read the story. I do feel sorry for him but what were the FAI thinking putting on a private jet?

Yeh, id say its prob something close to that. Plane hire, flight crew hire, fuel, etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

SofaKing wrote:
    Yeh, id say its prob something close to that. Plane hire, flight crew hire, fuel, etc...

It's way OT, and pretty much irrelevant, but surely it doesn't cost €100-200k to hire a private jet?? It's Prague they were flying from, not the moon!

It's Prague they were flying from, not the moon!
    You can fly from the Moon?!?!?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

You can fly from the Moon?!?!?!

Only during the summer. There's not much business off season.

It's way OT, and pretty much irrelevant, but surely it doesn't cost €100-200k to hire a private jet?? It's Prague they were flying from, not the moon!

€15k was the cost. which i expect him to repay in full.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Get over it. If he had have told the truth in the beginning the FAI should have done the same thing, flown him home as quick as possible.

He's apologised and the subject should be dropped

any one read that piece in the Sunday Time's today? they were comparing his treament to that of Stokes, asking why if Stokes was dropped why wasn't Ireland... it seems certain elements of the media won't forgive him to easily for this, i can see it being used against him for a good while to come. poor stupid idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Some heartless opinions here.

too many bleeding hearts in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Only heartless if he (having lied twice already) isn't lying about the miscarriage too.

After two lies, who is to say he is not lying about the miscarriage either.

If his missus did lose a child then I feel very sorry for both of them.

Everyone has expresses sympathy if there is in fact a miscarraige.

What people object to is him manipulating the FAI, taking a very expensive flight home and keeping his mouth shut while the FAI are falsely ridiculed up and down the land for telling him the 'wrong' grandmother died.

He had no need to continue the lie and deserves all the ridicule he gets for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

the FAI are falsely ridiculed up and down the land

Makes a change for them then. ;)

i feel sorry for him over the miscarraige and i wont hold the lies against against him but you have admit, regardless of circumstances it was a ridiculously ****ing stupid thing to do. twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The (almost) words of Lady Bracknell spring to mind.
    "To lose one grandparent, Mr. Ireland, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness."

Mike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement