Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Poor Stephen Ireland

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I stopped reading at page 4 cos most of it was bull.

Look if the fella cant tell the lads he works with whats wrong there is obvious something wrong. Thats how I see it.
    I dont think he should be punished I think he done exactly what most people would do for their family if they thought they were right.

Most people should be able to tell their manager/team leader/captain/supervisor/line lead etc etc. To me it shows lack of faith in the Ireland set up.

On the other note if his girlfriend did not want the world to know then he should have been able toapprocah the FAI and they come p with some spin to deflect the stories away from them.
    Again I reckon he did not feel happy enough to divulge this with them, I for 1 cannot blame him..

By the way best wishes to Stephen Ireland and his Girlfriend in this difficult time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

ciaran76

I totally agree with you !

This has to reflect badly on the FAI mgmt team in my opinion

Stephen is a young ( nieve )lad, he did what he thought was right , obviously he was wrong. I imagine his parents have set him very straight, after all they must have got a bit of a shock reading about a death of one of their parents.

My thoughts are with Stephen and his girlfriend at this time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

state of him in the thong:D :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

what the blazes? his hair is growing back at an tremendous rate...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

see his granny talking in the mirror today? says the first she heard of it all, was when she read she died in the newspaper! The plane cost the FAI €70,000 too. Eriksson seems majorly unimpressed with the whole affiar too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

My god i hope thats not really his Bebo page, as if it is then i think i hate him.

"luv ma baby yep yep i luv ma chic!!!! Look At My BB Girl Yum Yum,Super Hot!!!!"

"i lose at pro evo and smash joy pads, which isnt very often, battered every contestant dat came my way, recent loser PAUL REIDY-COBH CO.CORK, There Was Lessons Thrown His Way, have to get outa the car to get petrol, Bummer!!!!!! Cud Be Worse Cud Ave Ta Cycle To Work!!!!!!!"

Christ. Id say regardless of being a "football ace"[(c)SKY] he'd be banned from here in short order with typing like that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Oh dear God, he's lost all credit with me! Didn't Micah Richards do a 'My Team Mates' interview on Soccer AM and they ask him who was the least intelligent player on the Man City team, to which he replied, Stephen Ireland! That bebo page reinforces that answer.

Still pity him for what happened the other week though, and won't hold that against him, BUT Stephen.........the bebo page, come off it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Having Sympathy for him is assuming there's any truth in the Miscarrage story.

Seems a bit of a twat, didn't he fall out with Don Givens a while back as well ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

say wat now?!

as i said, i do feel sorry for him, but he should have just told the FAI the truth and they would have just said he was released due to personal problems, but he is young and he'll learn. wont hold it against him in the future anyway but it was a silly thing to do

Good to see your trolling as much as ever....

I feel sorry for Stephen Ireland, he panicked under unfortunate circumstances and was just thinking of his girlfriend and the miscarriage...it's an understandable situation and I hope it goes alright for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

how is that possibly trolling?

calling me a troll for absolutely no reason surely constitutes personal abuse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

cheesedude wrote:
    Good to see your trolling as much as ever....
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

His granny was also on Liveline getting tea and sympthay from Joe Duffy. She was clearly rather shocked to be dead esp as various members of her extended family started phoning home to find out if it was true.

As was said many years ago "a lie is halfway round the world before the truth has got its boots on"

Mike.

ps great arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

cheesedude wrote:
    he panicked under unfortunate circumstances and was just thinking of his girlfriend and the miscarriage...it's an understandable situation and I hope it goes alright for him.

He may well have panicked when he was hit with the news right after the game, but 2 days later when he's at home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

He should not play for the Republic again. All he had to do was tell the truth and because he didn't he displayed a lack of character.

If we were to stop people playing for Ireland because they showed a lack of character we wouldnt be able to field a starting eleven.

He's obviously not the brightest but he should be given the benefit of the doubt and the story just dropped at this point. Whats he doing polling his bird anyway, he's a young professional footballer with the world at his feet, needs to give his brain a bit of a workout methinks. He has managed to make a laughing stock of a traumatic time for his girlfreind.

He has also been the best player in the squad the last while as well to be fair to the lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

~Rebel~ wrote:
    My god i hope thats not really his Bebo page, as if it is then i think i hate him.

"luv ma baby yep yep i luv ma chic!!!! Look At My BB Girl Yum Yum,Super Hot!!!!"

"i lose at pro evo and smash joy pads, which isnt very often, battered every contestant dat came my way, recent loser PAUL REIDY-COBH CO.CORK, There Was Lessons Thrown His Way, have to get outa the car to get petrol, Bummer!!!!!! Cud Be Worse Cud Ave Ta Cycle To Work!!!!!!!"

Christ. Id say regardless of being a "football ace"[(c)SKY] he'd be banned from here in short order with typing like that!

Sadly, it seems it really is his Bebo page. I actually find this quite depressing:( ....is he 21 or 12?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

If we were to stop people playing for Ireland because they showed a lack of character we wouldnt be able to field a starting eleven.

He's obviously not the brightest but he should be given the benefit of the doubt and the story just dropped at this point. Whats he doing polling his bird anyway, he's a young professional footballer with the world at his feet, needs to give his brain a bit of a workout methinks. He has managed to make a laughing stock of a traumatic time for his girlfreind.

He has also been the best player in the squad the last while as well to be fair to the lad.

why? why should he get to bull**** both his club and national manager, twice, cost the association tens of thousands they don't have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

In terms of scobie factor his bebo only misses out on the grounds that it misses the key component of any skang page- the flash sideshow animation in the flashbox showing various brands of e tabs.

Nevertheless, a few of the comments on it by "fans" who found his page are a disgrace.

why? why should he get to bull**** both his club and national manager, twice, cost the association tens of thousands they don't have?

Eh because he's a kid maybe? because his bird misscarried and in what was a stupid attmept to maintain her privacy he has ended up making it national news and thats probably hard enough to take? because he is one of the only current squad who perform remotely consistently? because he obviously has way below average intelligence? because your private life is your own business and nobody elses?

If my missus misscarried I would be breaking off any immediate commitments to be with her, and I wouldnt be telling anyone what was happening past "I have a personal situation that requires my attention".

He was stupid, however lets look at a comparison for everyone who wants to hang the boy. Paul McGrath regularly went missing on Ireland trips, often went on the piss the night before matches and in one highly entertaining episode the national media were enlisted to try and track him down but despite all his neverending baggage he was never thrown off the team or got half as much flak from the self righteous brigade as the Ste Ireland debacle all because he was the black pearl. Hipocrasy I reckon.

Last year I was in a residents bar in town afterhours when half the Ireland squad arrived in for a late drink, the night before a match half the squad still out at 4am, in all fairness Id rather villify them for stuff like that than trying to get home to a distraught missus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Went on his bebo to see if any of his friends were other footballers. Seems he has heard everyman and his dog has seen his profile and has gone and made it private.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2007/0919/irelands.html

Careful what you say about your work on Bebo :eek:

I saw the comment myself, i think it would have been meant to have been posted tongue in cheek, after all Im sure he has made enough money already to nicely retire for a few years if he was sick of it.

He really could have got out of this whole thing by just telling the FAI the truth and, if he didnt want it specified, just ask for it to be mentioned to the media as a family emergency/situation. Would be awful to lose one of our best prospects for the next 14 odd years over this crap if he became disillusioned. There was an emergency, he shouldnt have lied, he did, end of. It was a death regardless of who it was, if he said someone died so he could fly back to Cork for a birthday, yes tht would be a problem. Enough about it already.

Eh because he's a kid maybe?

irrelevant. he has enough handlers, both personal, club and national team to turn to if he felt out of his depth. he made a concious decision to propogate a lie that was never going to remain secret.
    because his bird misscarried and in what was a stupid attmept to maintain her privacy he has ended up making it national news and thats probably hard enough to take?

so he says. it was her decision to initiate a lie and his to continue with it placed it in the media.
    because he is one of the only current squad who perform remotely consistently?

consistantly mediocre. and the implication of that is the situation should have been handled differently depending on the players form?
    because he obviously has way below average intelligence?

as maybe, but i know lots of honest decent thickos and lots of conniving people of intellegence. not relevant. he isnt absolved of the personal responsibility for both the reputational hit the FAI took and he did nothing to prevent and the financial hit of the personal jet. The FAI could have built a dressing room or hired an underage coach for a year on that money.

because your private life is your own business and nobody elses?

so why did he chose to not do
    If my missus misscarried I would be breaking off any immediate commitments to be with her, and I wouldnt be telling anyone what was happening past "I have a personal situation that requires my attention".?
    He was stupid, however lets look at a comparison for everyone who wants to hang the boy. Paul McGrath regularly went missing on Ireland trips, often went on the piss the night before matches and in one highly entertaining episode the national media were enlisted to try and track him down but despite all his neverending baggage he was never thrown off the team or got half as much flak from the self righteous brigade as the Ste Ireland debacle all because he was the black pearl. Hipocrasy I reckon.".

Paul McGrath had a drink problem, not an honsesty problem. Totally different situations. And IIRC the FAI tried many the time to get him help for his problem. Ireland chose to lie about his problem despite the fact the FAI's response would have been the exact same.

Paul McGrath had a drink problem, not an honsesty problem. Totally different situations. And IIRC the FAI tried many the time to get him help for his problem. Ireland chose to lie about his problem despite the fact the FAI's response would have been the exact same.

LOL at pretty much all of your post, you are obviously quite a small little person, however the above bit is just classic.

McGrath lied constantly and openly admits it in his autobiography and was never given anything but sympathy and help from the Irish setup and the fans who loved him despite his numerous flaws.

Do you really think that your girlfreind having a misscarriage is not a more valid excuse than "Im sorry Boss I fancied going on a bender".

I think that Ste Ireland probably has an IQ somewhere slightly above clinically retarded, you on the other hand have no excuse for the arrogance and self righteous bull you have come out with here.

you start with this:
    LOL at pretty much all of your post, you are obviously quite a small little person, however the above bit is just classic..

and end with this:
    I think that Ste Ireland probably has an IQ somewhere slightly above clinically retarded, you on the other hand have no excuse for the arrogance and self righteous bull you have come out with here.

you have surrendered any higher moral ground.
    McGrath lied constantly and openly admits it in his autobiography and was never given anything but sympathy and help from the Irish setup and the fans who loved him despite his numerous flaws. .

that was my point. ireland would have been treated like that too. But he chose to manipulate that sympathy by creating not one, but two lies about relatives dying.
    Do you really think that your girlfreind having a misscarriage is not a more valid excuse than "Im sorry Boss I fancied going on a bender"..

Christ MPT, thats the entire point of my posts. If he had said that his gf had a miscarraige, we wouldnt be having this discussion. Im saying that lying to your boss is the problem, especially when it was entirely uneccesary.

I dont see why I cant have symapthy for them if indeed they lost the kid, while being furious at him for creating this unneccasary standoff?

you start with this:

and end with this:

you have surrendered any higher moral ground.

that was my point. ireland would have been treated like that too. But he chose to manipulate that sympathy by creating not one, but two lies about relatives dying.

Christ MPT, thats the entire point of my posts. If he had said that his gf had a miscarraige, we wouldnt be having this discussion. Im saying that lying to your boss is the problem, especially when it was entirely uneccesary.

I dont see why I cant have symapthy for them if indeed they lost the kid, while being furious at him for creating this unneccasary standoff?

I dont really see anything wrong with my comment and I wouldnt ever try to maintain the moral high ground in the first place, my personal set of moral standards tend to be quite different to most peoples.

Im not going to feed the troll anymore, but my point is that plenty of Irish players have behaved badly on Irish trips in the past, from lying and going on the piss before games, to lying about injuries to get out of playing etc etc the list goes on. No one ever complains about it really and it certainly never becomes a witchhunt. At the crux of this whole affair is that a young kid had a misscarriage and wanted her bloke to be with her. The series of lies that have followed were designed and ultimately failed spectacularly to protect her privacy. Yes it was a stupid idea, yes he dealt with it like the way you would expect an immature kid to deal with it. Truth is out now, hes been punished enough leave it at that. At the end of the day I think this is a far more valid excuse for his behaviour than McGrath, Babb & Kennedy, and all the squad members I found on the lash at 4am before the night of a game ever presented to the public or were asked to present.

The lads an idiot, the whole situation will become the farcical stuff of Irish football legend allongside the national manhunt for McGrath and Babb et al walking over parked cars twisted. Calling for him to be ejected from the squad is beyond ridiculous.

• Advertisement
Advertisement