Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats your set up for commuting?

Options
  • 14-09-2007 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, thought I'd throw a question or two out to the esteemed and knowledgeable users of this forum!

I'm a student based in dublin and I cycle pretty much everywhere. At the moment I'm using a basic road/racing bike (An RA5 Mercurio) if you could call it that. Its a few years old at this stage and i'm potentially looking at getting something a tad better. I like the "feel" and handling of a road bike but the one thing I dislike are the amount of jarring you get through the saddle from dublins many potholes, never mind the battle with glass.

In the various bikeshops I've visited i've been shown a few different models of bikes, some road/racer and others that are basically the same with slightly beefed up frames and a flat handlebars (there was a cannondale something or other).

I'm just curious as to what you guys out there use yourself for moving around wherever you live.

Oh one other thing. Whilst browsing the web i came across this rather curious looking creature. http://www.softride.com/product.asp?p=17

Have never seen them before and i wondered if anyone had opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Funny I thought I saw your bike today! It is Red, black wheel rims and down tube shifters, leccy tape for grip on the handlebars? (I'm a bit of a road bike geek) Looks pretty nice to me for a commuter. Sure the pot holes and glass are a pain but the difference in speed over anything else makes up for them. Also keeps you sharp and alert :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

well at the moment I'm using a Kona Cinder Cone MB , i haven't changed the tires to slicks Yet but will do , i cycle 24 miles 12 to and 12 back again from work each day cycling, at the moment i'm doing this 3 days a week , the Kona all though a mountain bike is quite comfortable on the roads , i,m not useing cleats yet as need to buy a new pair of shoes as the old ones are recked , my brother does the similar amount of cycling and he used a Kona Commuter Bike , he says it is quite good on the roads , he bought that in Cyclelogical

i have seen that bike before never but have no idea if it is any good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

a while ago i decided that using my road bike for commuting wasnt that smart so... i brushed the dust of my specialized rockhopper, it had continental contact sport tyres on it, which are practically bullet proof.

this may sound ridiculous but i like how my mtn bike is completely b*lloxed. i deliberately keep the saddle too low, and enjoy how i only have one working gear (highest gear on my mid ring), and the front suspension is a luxury.

and i avoid potholes where possible without getting creased by traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Giant FCR2 for me. there's now 3 of us in work with them! It's nice to see them all lined up in a row in the bike lockup! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

My commuter is a crappy mountain bike that I bought 5 years ago. The front derailleur fell off, the rear brake fell off as did a gear level. The chain pops off alot and I hve perfected putting it pack on as I cycle with my foot. Its a pieve of crap - but I can leave it anywhere.

The softride bikes are generally only meant for long distance steady straight line cycling - bike leg of a long distance triathlon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Cheers guys, I appreciate the responses, keep em coming.

To the poster who thought he spotted my bike earlier - probably not today mate as its inside a building! The new Mercurios seem to be in those colours but mines red and silver. Otherwise your description is fairly close.

Re the softride - i got the impression that that was their "commuter" model and thought it might be the answer to the various shocks and jars coming through the road but as i've said, have never seen one of those on sale anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Specialized Crossroad Sport (Crossroad range now the Globe range). Pretty good commuter, but might feel a bit dull and safe if you are used to a road bike. Parts and maintenance not too much of a hassle, and original tyres still after 2.5k km (honest, they are like armour!). Recently started commuting on the Specialized Langster in fixed gear, and I am completely converted. Slick, smooth, fast low maintenance ride, and a lovely bike to look at. Get plenty of cyclists eyeballing the bike at the traffic lights, although they might just be wondering why an oulfella like me is riding a bike like that - I'm too old and fat to be confused for a courier. Without gears, I'm slowest off the mark, but can cruise past everyone after about 10 metres. I've heard great things about the new specialized tri-cross, which could deliver the best combination of ride of both these bikes, but I haven't been able to check one out yet. No sign of it in Cycleways, but Edinburgh coop have them in stock here:
    http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLqrymode.a4p?f%5FProductID=8806&f%5FSupersetQRY=C107%7E1&f%5FSortOrderID=1&f%5Fbct=c003155c002912m008520

Have fun shopping.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

If you have a problem specifically with jarring through the saddle, consider a suspension seatpost (or carbon, although that isn't quite as smoothing.)

I have a USE SX, 27.2, 350mm seatpost for sale if you are interested, say €35. I replaced this on my commuter with a Specialized Pave Carbon post as I wanted something a bit more rigid and thought the suspension a bit squeaky, might have been more the saddle though (Brooks B17.) It does definately smooth out bumps in the road though.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

NYC fixed, mudguards, hub dynamo + led lights, front brake, toppeak beam rack, Ortlieb panniers containing: Alien II, spare inner tube, overshoes, work clothes, towel
    Nice and simple, few moving parts exposed to the weather, quite light as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

neilled wrote:
    To the poster who thought he spotted my bike earlier - probably not today mate as its inside a building! The new Mercurios seem to be in those colours but mines red and silver. Otherwise your description is fairly close.

Sorry I could have sworn I saw one in the a car park bike rack today. I guess there may be more than one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

blorg wrote:
    If you have a problem specifically with jarring through the saddle, consider a suspension seatpost (or carbon, although that isn't quite as smoothing.)

I have a USE SX, 27.2, 350mm seatpost for sale if you are interested, say €35. I replaced this on my commuter with a Specialized Pave Carbon post as I wanted something a bit more rigid and thought the suspension a bit squeaky, might have been more the saddle though (Brooks B17.) It does definately smooth out bumps in the road though.
    How do you know what size to buy for these - I see they come in 26.8, 27 and 27,2 versions?

joker77 wrote:
    How do you know what size to buy for these - I see they come in 26.8, 27 and 27,2 versions?
    Easiest way is to check your existing seatpost which will probably have it written on it somewhere. If not, you need a calipers. I think 27.2 is the most common for modern road bikes.

Here's my commuter, although I have thinner tyres (700x25 and 700x28) and mudguards on it for commuting. As pictured with that USE SX suspension seatpost that could be yours for only €35 ;-)

Specialized Tricross could I imagine be a very good choice if you wanted something road bikey but still usable, I've certainly seen it with mudguards and a rack.

th_commuter_bikeLarge.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

blorg wrote:
    Here's my commuter, although I have thinner tyres (700x25 and 700x28) and mudguards on it for commuting. As pictured with that USE SX suspension seatpost that could be yours for only €35 ;-)

Specialized Tricross could I imagine be a very good choice if you wanted something road bikey but still usable, I've certainly seen it with mudguards and a rack.

th_commuter_bikeLarge.jpg
    jaysus blorg - have you enough water bottles there? :D

joker77 wrote:
    jaysus blorg - have you enough water bottles there? :D
    Ha, that was doing the Camino de Santiago and it was very hot! In this country, even on longer cycles I would rarely feel the need to go above 1 :(

Three bottle mounts are handy, you can have plain water, energy drink and a bottle of wine attached to the bike simultaneously. I can't fit both a mudguard and the third, lower bottle at the same time, but they rarely are needed together ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I've got an Orbit Orion hybrid. Built like a tank, but exceptionally reliable.
    Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres, 700cx28, with full mudguards
    Rear SRAM-7 hub gears
    Front hub dynamo connected to a halogen headlight for scouting the road in the dark, with battery powered front and rear tail-lights for when I'm not moving
    Rear panniers with for up to two vaude waterproof pannier bags or strapping with bungees
    Integrated bell-compass and rear view mirror on the handlebars
    And a kryptonite evolution + front and saddle pitlock skewers for the thieves

Advertisement