Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Excited? Damn straight I am!

Options
  • 14-09-2007 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭

I just bought my first car! Woot! I'm off to Scotland tomorrow to collect it, and no prizes for guessing what it is, it's a MINI Cooper S, but the goodies it has. My god, it's like letting me loose at 6 years of age in Smyths. Can-not wait!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

ned78 wrote:
    it's a MINI Cooper S, but the goodies it has.

What sort of goodies..............?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

I thought you already had a Cooper S?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

That's my company car, in fact, that was my old company car, I'm driving a different work MINI now. But this one is mine! All mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Well done to you ned78.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Congratulations, enjoy the buzz :)

My mom got one recently, by God they are indeed nice cars

• Advertisement

After a drive in a Cooper S Works GP, the Cooper S I drove felt slow....although it most certainly wasn't. Good luck with it and post some pics once ya get her all cleaned :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

ned - Congrats, I knew it wouldn't be long til you came out of the closet. Don't worry we won't think any less of you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Congrats. Have a safe run back from Scotland in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

How much are you saving? If thats not a vulgar question :)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

go on Ned tell us the extras!! Is this one you have had you eye on for a while or one that you just came across ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

go out and buy a spare wheel for it too lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

OK...AFAIK you work for a MINI dealership as a MINI salesman and have access to the many different flavours of MINI all day long(?)

I assumed when I saw the heading you had bought an old M3/Porker or such-like for private pleasure.

I'm sure there's a punchline and this is a concours original Mini or a MINI converted to a 4WD mid-engined track-car or...

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

pburns wrote:
    OK...AFAIK you work for a MINI dealership as a MINI salesman and have access to the many different flavours of MINI all day long(?)

I assumed when I saw the heading you had bought an old M3/Porker or such-like for private pleasure

I thought the same! Why spend your own money when you can drive a company one?
    pburns wrote:
    I'm sure there's a punchline and this is a concours original Mini

OP is most consistent in naming minis (original) and MINIS (modern). He's not buying a mini
    pburns wrote:
    or a MINI converted to a 4WD mid-engined track-car or...

Must be something like that :D

Well, ned?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Well having had a company car a few years ago I can say it doesn't have the same feel good factor as owning your own car.

Plus that is not much good spending your own money on customising it (which I'm sure Ned will do) if it isn't yours and at any time it can be taken from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

so that'll be 3 MINI's on the driveway now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

cornbb wrote:
    Congratulations, enjoy the buzz :)

My mom got one recently, by God they are indeed nice cars

Sums it up nicely...........:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Congrats ned, sounds like fun, but why are you getting your MINI in Scotland when work for a MINI dealership in Cork?

Because I'm buying a used MINI. The choice and equipment of used vehicles is much higher in the UK than it would be here, as it would be with any second hand vehicle. The price is pretty much the same though when you factor in VRT, and logistics in getting there/back again.

I bought a 2005 MINI Cooper S, with the John Cooper Works engine kit, lifting it to 210Bhp. It's black all over, with a Panoramic Twin Sunroof, Chili Pack, Full Leather, Visibility Pack (Autodimming interior mirror, heated front windscreen, heated external mirrors and washer jets, Rain Sensor), Harmon Kardon Hifi, 18" Cooper Works Alloys, Cooper Works Steering Wheel (About the same size and profile as the Z4 M Roadster, comfy to use!), Darkened Glass, and Anthracite Headlining.

Going into it, as bazz26 rightly suggested, is a full Sparco Milano interior in Leather, again, from the Cooper Works catalogue, a Cooper Works Leather Dashboard, a gearshift indicator up on the dash, upgrades to the Harmon Kardon system, the additional front spotlamps, and the Cooper Works body kit. It may also get an MTH remap to smooth out power delivery, and decrease fuel consumption. Got it home from Aberdeen this morning after 1 flight, 4 trains, and a late ferry. 1 full day of no sleep, but it was worth it, it's tucked up now under a cover in the garage ready for the mods to begin next week.

Cheers for all the well wishes guys, when I get started on valeting it, and fitting the bits I have, I'll post some photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

WOW it sounds gorgeous,good luck with it.
    How's the 0-60 with 210bhp?

macshadow wrote:
    WOW it sounds gorgeous,good luck with it.
    How's the 0-60 with 210bhp?

It goes from 0-60 in 6.3 seconds and has a top speed of 143 mph.

Well I must say you have given a very good reason to go across the pond to buy that MINI ned. It sounds like a fabulous MINI. It will be a rare beast on our roads. No wonder you were so excited:D .

You say it is ready for the mods to take place next week:p ? I'm intrigued, surley 0-60 in 6.3 is fast enough? Or have you "other plans";) ?

• Advertisement

E92 wrote:
    It goes from 0-60 in 6.3 seconds and has a top speed of 143 mph.

With my lard ass in it? Thankfully my diet is almost over, and the belly's almost gone. That's one way of significantly improving the power to weight ratio!
    E92 wrote:
    You say it is ready for the mods to take place next week:p ? I'm intrigued, surely 0-60 in 6.3 is fast enough? Or have you "other plans";) ?

Well, most of the mods about to take place are either cosmetic, or electronic. I have the seats, the dashboard, the shift indicator, and the sound upgrades, it's just a matter of my finding time to sit down and do the work. Engine wise, the JCW will be fine for the next few months, she'll eventually get a smaller supercharger pulley, and an MTH remap+manifold, bringing it to about 240Bhp. At that stage, you can go further (GTT Tuning in the UK do a 300Bhp conversion, and Fireball Tim in the states does a 500Bhp conversion), but it's ridiculous financial outlay to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭tvr

lets see the pics!!!:D slightly off topic but can you boost the aerial in the minis to get freeview from the north on the uk incar tv function !!

ned78 wrote:
    Engine wise, the JCW will be fine for the next few months, she'll eventually get a smaller supercharger pulley, and an MTH remap+manifold, bringing it to about 240Bhp. At that stage, you can go futher (GTT Tuning in the UK do a 300Bhp conversion, and Fireball Tim in the states does a 500Bhp conversion), but it's ridiculous financial outlay to get there.

500 bhp(or even 300 bhp) in a front wheel drive car:eek: ? I have images of Jeremy Clarkson's Opel Astra OPC test as shown here http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=gEUHm57a9DA where the car suffered from a dose of torque steer in my head, multilplyed by 2 at the thought of sending 500 bhp through the front wheels:eek: .

Anyway well wear with your car, and best of luck with it. You must be delighted with her. She sounds like a beauty.

E92 wrote:
    Anyway well wear with your car, and best of luck with it. You must be delighted with her. She sounds like a beauty.

I'm like a child at Christmas, literally! Thanks e92! Here's some of the photos from the Pistonheads ad, but they do the car no justice at all, the previous owner was meticulous about detailing it every week :

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/221516.htm

ned78 wrote:
    I'm like a child at Christmas, literally! Thanks e92! Here's some of the photos from the Pistonheads ad, but they do the car no justice at all, the previous owner was meticulous about detailing it every week :

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/221516.htm

No bother,it looks immaculate to me from there! I suppose it will cost around €26-28k once VRT is paid. Considering that there are normal 05 Cooper S's going for €30k+ here on carzone, thats a nice saving. You'd better not tell too many people that, especially as you work at the coalface so to speak, otherwise MINI will be forced to sell their used cars for less:p .

Wow.....it looks an absolute beauty!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Now that really looks one of a kind. Well wear, ned! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Hehe love the was the plaes are hidden in 2 of the 3 pics you can see them on :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Looks immaculate, ned. Good luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Mac 3

Slightly off topic, but I'd appreciate the help of the MINI experts

A friend of mine bought a cooper S the weekend and locked the keys in it last night. Any Ideas as to where to go from here. She had just brought it over from the UK, Spare keys and documents relating to the car all locked with her luggage in the boot.

I suppose it's a trip to the dealers for a replacement?

She'd rather not smash the window..

Thanking you,

Mac (aplogies for hi jacking)

Advertisement