Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HELP for a Linux noob please

• 14-09-2007 2:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭

Hey Lads

I've been working in IT for 10 years now and always avoided Linux but figured I'd throw it on my laptop now and have a look around.
    I've installed Ubuntu Feisty Fawn and can get it on the network using the wired NIC.

Whenever I try to get it on to the wireless network I run in to issues.
    I can get it to connect to my wireless network but whenevr I try to ping anything on the network it is trying to use my wired NIC.
    I can see this when I ping as it says:
    From 192.168.1.5 icmp_seq=x Destination Host unreachable....

192.168.1.5 is my IP assigned to the wired NIC.

I have removed the ethernet cable but do I have to delete the NIC or something to get it to send traffic over the correct one?
    Do I need to set up static roots or something?
    Seems a little odd that I would but I can't get it working.

When I run ifconfig I can see that the wireless NIC has receieved an IP Address from the DHCP server so thats not the issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

For Ubuntu help, try the excellent www.ubuntuforums.org. Also try #ubuntu on irc.freenode.net

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Yes, on many Linux installations you have to disable your primary ethernet device unless you've set up your system to work some other way.

I've never tried it on ubuntu, but I'd imagine you can run a command such as

sudo ifdown eth0

(you may need to replace ifdown with /sbin/ifdown, or something else. Type locate ifdown to find the command you'll need for your system)
    from the command line to disable your primary nic, followed by

sudo ifup eth1

to enable your secondary device.
    There's probably a nice graphical way to make it automatically happen, but I you'll have to find it yourself I'm afraid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭Conar

Thanks for the help guys.
    Registering for Ubuntuforums as I type this.

I tried the "sudo ifdown eth0" command and it authenticated my password then said:
    "ifdown: interface eth0 not configured"
    Still though when I try to ping anything its going out over the ipaddress I configured for eth0

Wait, just fixed it.
    I set eth0 to DHCP and it still wouldn't work but just gave me the destination host unreachable, not going out over either NIC.

I just reneabled the static IP on eth0 again (for no real reason) and that disconnected me from the wireless LAN.
    When I reconnected all was fine.

Don't really understand why but I'll accept it as a fix.
    Time to start fiddling....thanks again lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Took me a bit of work to get wireless working on my dell lappy under feisty. I eventually found a page that detailed the exact problem and fix. I'll post it later on if I still have it bookmarked.

• Advertisement

Cheers lads.
    I have beryl on here now and its running well.
    Can anyone suggest any great apps or anything that may not be the kind of thing I would be used to see running on windows?
    Something with a wow factor .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Yakuake - it's the dogs balls if you use the console a lot. F12 drops down a console window from the top - just like in Quake
    Amarok - best media player ever (and support for Creative equipment)

sudo apt-get yakuake
    sudo apt-get amarok

Advertisement