Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frogs in Garden

Options
  • 14-09-2007 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

Just been cutting the grass and to my amazement a couple of frogs hopped ut in front of me. One is quite big. Can't understand where they are coming from. No pond nearby.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Ditto,

I have come across a few frogs over the last two years. No water near me either.

Nice to have them around though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Yes, my back garden is walled in, yet I have been finding frogs all summer. I think they must have been dropped by birds. The damp summer suits them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Join the club...
    Have a look at post #9 here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055149281

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

i found frogs in my garden at the begining of the summer while digging up the patio. i think its a bit of a myth that they have to be near water, as far as i know they only need water to breed and lay the spawn. i disturbed about 15 and at the time they were about the size of a 2 euro coin, due to ongoing landscaping i keep disturbing them and some of them are huge now.......like the size of toads. now i know they are there im going to allocate a small part of the garden for a pond and with some ledges and overhangs to allow them to crawl into. was trying to find if there was a downside to having them in your garden, for instance would they dammage plants, but havent found a reason not to have them in the garden yet other then the fact my jack russel pup keeps finding them........he not at all gentle with the poor little frogs:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

I too found a frog out my back garden, which is walled in??

He dissapeared. I would love to have a pond for frogs. They won't be bad for gardens, they like eating insects, like flies. So unless you like flies and small bugs, leave them be.

And maybe give them a small cup of ice tea. They don't like hot tea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Frogs travel to eh well..hunt etc They enjoy bugs etc, so are a gardeners friend in that sense. Myth has everyone believing that they live in water.

But there's plenty of moisture around most of the time, I have a large one living in a old stone wall, we call him sniper. He's caused many a freight when he hops out in front of passersby, otherwise he's pretty much undercover.

Good travellers and a good addition to any garden. Enjoy them whilst they're around.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Mine live in still water under my shed I think. There'e a river nearby too.

Advertisement