Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Champix - anyone tried it?

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

Just got a prescription for champix was off the 6 months on it before and then was just stupid and went back on them for no reason at all.. hopefully I can stay off them this time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭PaddyWilliams

Harpy wrote: »
    Just got a prescription for champix was off the 6 months on it before and then was just stupid and went back on them for no reason at all.. hopefully I can stay off them this time

Exactly what I did myself. Good luck this time round!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ibstar

doing this for documentation purposes for anyone that might search for information info in future.

Quit smoking on 10th day of taking champix.
    I quit smoking using champix before for 4months+, but I was stupid enough to start again after meeting a smoker.

Decided to try quit for good this time (didn't have this mindset last time since I was single etc.) as I want to quit before I have some kind of cancer and I don't want my kids paying my hospital bills to prolong my life by 1week+ in future when I'll be an old fart.

Last time I quit smoking on 2nd week as well, and stopped taking champix straight away due to bad sleeping patterns, although I joined a gym that time,and all I could think about at that time was to make gains day and night :D

I'll stay on champix 2-3 more days, and quit before finishing the course as it's making me quite drowsy and tired this time. I had sleepless nights for 2-3 days but these were related to work stress.
    Didn't have those effects last time (6 years ago) although I was younger and much,much more active.

I only went to gym 2 times in those 10 days and had irregular amounts of cheat days in my diet while on champix, although I don't count one hiking trip and fishing trip as exercise since I felt full of energy after those.
    My appetite was weird as well for first couple of days. Sometimes I didn't want to eat and had to stuff myself, and sometimes I had to stop myself from putting anymore food into myself.
    Weirdest thing was that I was craving sweets (not a sweet tooth at all generally) but every-time I'd try to eat some candy, I'd spit it out as I hate anything too sweet. Closest to sweets I can generally eat is a cheesecake but ones it's not chocolate.

I'll probably, or hopefully not report here again, but feel free to PM me if you're looking to quit or take champix. I want to continue support quitting smoking for the rest of my life :)

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ibstar

ibstar wrote: »
    doing this for documentation purposes for anyone that might search for information info in future.

Quit smoking on 10th day of taking champix.
    I quit smoking using champix before for 4months+, but I was stupid enough to start again after meeting a smoker.

Decided to try quit for good this time (didn't have this mindset last time since I was single etc.) as I want to quit before I have some kind of cancer and I don't want my kids paying my hospital bills to prolong my life by 1week+ in future when I'll be an old fart.

Last time I quit smoking on 2nd week as well, and stopped taking champix straight away due to bad sleeping patterns, although I joined a gym that time,and all I could think about at that time was to make gains day and night :D

I'll stay on champix 2-3 more days, and quit before finishing the course as it's making me quite drowsy and tired this time. I had sleepless nights for 2-3 days but these were related to work stress.
    Didn't have those effects last time (6 years ago) although I was younger and much,much more active.

I only went to gym 2 times in those 10 days and had irregular amounts of cheat days in my diet while on champix, although I don't count one hiking trip and fishing trip as exercise since I felt full of energy after those.
    My appetite was weird as well for first couple of days. Sometimes I didn't want to eat and had to stuff myself, and sometimes I had to stop myself from putting anymore food into myself.
    Weirdest thing was that I was craving sweets (not a sweet tooth at all generally) but every-time I'd try to eat some candy, I'd spit it out as I hate anything too sweet. Closest to sweets I can generally eat is a cheesecake but ones it's not chocolate.

I'll probably, or hopefully not report here again, but feel free to PM me if you're looking to quit or take champix. I want to continue support quitting smoking for the rest of my life :)

been 10 days+ off. Prior to fully quitting I started cutting 3-4 days before. Day before I quit I smoked exactly 3 puffs of cigarette throughout the day.
    My taste buds are off the charts!!! Cheap marked down strawberries tasted so sweet and aromatic like they were dipped in sugar and I have a very nice strawberry aftertaste in my mouth, my daughter said that that's how strawberries always taste and the ones I bought actually taste a little bland compared to what I bought before.

My sense of smell has increased as well. Now I can't stand or sit beside someone who smokes as they smell like an old ashtray that was left under the rain and then dried out. I'm walking by isles in shops and can smell a lot more sent than I used to.

Can't comment on my stamina or endurance as I've never had problems gassing out when exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭nobodys_hero

I quit for just over 3 months on Champix about 6 or 7 years ago. It definitely works and I don't blame Champix for going back on the smokes.

However, I found the side affects appalling. Theres a pretty vicious list of know effects in the pack and I swear I had nearly every one of them. The nightmares, complete energy drain to the extent that I had to sit down on the curb once walking down the road and the suicidal ideation are the ones that really stood out.

Part of the reason I was able to quit on Champix was because I didn't want to ever go through that again. Probably why it's taken me the 6 or 7 years to come around to trying to quit again.

On the bright side, they work, they alleviate craving hugely. Not everybody has the side affects as badly as I did either as this thread is testament to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

ibstar wrote: »
    Now I can't stand or sit beside someone who smokes as they smell like an old ashtray that was left under the rain and then dried out.

Thats a good description of the smell. The nasty part is that when I smoked I could never smell it, its only when I quit that i realised how bad it was.

Advertisement