Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2005 Bmw 320cd

Options
  • 14-09-2007 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Friend of mine is changing his car and is trading in his against the new one. Garage have offered him €37,000. Am thinking of taking the car for what the garage are offering him. It's a 2005 with 18" M-tech wheels balck leather and 42,000 miles. Is this a good price?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Seems about right

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

Yeah they would be making around that here.

You could save a small fortune by sourcing one in the Uk though;

For example;

320d.jpg

2005 BMW 320 CD M Sport
    # 45,000 miles
    # MANUAL
    # SILVER

€22000
    VRT = €11,065
    Ferry + Plane + Diesel = €500

Total = 33565

Saving = €3435

This was just after a very quick search, further savings could be made from a better search!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

As bucks said, I'd head up north or over to the UK - generally better specced up cars over in the UK too - they like to add options over there!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Garage have offered him €37,000. Am thinking of taking the car for what the garage are offering him

Hold on a second! I presume your friend is looking to buy another car, so the €37k is part exchange. Check with your friend how much he agreed to buy the new car for. Let's say it's €50k, so he would have to end up paying the garage €13k (€50k-€37k)

Get your friend to ask the garage how much they are willing to sell him the car for "for cash", i.e. without part exchange. This could well be lower than €50, maybe €47k. In this example, you only need to pay your friend €34k for the car

Not being smart now or anything but if i was getting the car €3k cheaper by paying in cash id be passing the savings onto myself and not the future owner of my old car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

bucks wrote:
    Not being smart now or anything but if i was getting the car €3k cheaper by paying in cash id be passing the savings onto myself and not the future owner of my old car.

Garages normally calculate the value of the trade in as "book value+cash discount"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 prem_vw

bucks wrote:

Well if I was trading in a car to a garage and they offered me X amount for it. If a mate of mine could match the garage offer I'd prefer seeing him having it for that price than a garage making profit on it.
    Makes no difference price wise as you will still be paying the same amount for the new car!

Ye are missing my point here.. it was in relation to unkels post.

Im saying why would i accept €34k for a car from a mate because of a deal involving purchasing the new car in cash when the garage has offered me €37k..

If by paying in cash they gave me €3k off id be passing this saving onto myself and let my mate pay me €37k still, which is still a good price in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭clarkey1980

Got it for €36,000 after. Happy days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Well wear, clarkey :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement