Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bees might replace sniffer dogs?

• 14-09-2007 4:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭

Yup

For those who dont want to read the storyis this, a company has been able to train bees to sniff out different explosives and drugini by taping them down and the bees will stick out the toung when they hit the right smell (drugi/explosives) then the bee is rewarded with some food.

I dont know about the rest of you but i dont like the idea of going through the airport hearing buzzing and seing bees flying around the airport.

http://blog.scifi.com/tech/archives/2007/09/14/bee_happy_you_w.html

"Imagine, if you will, a world where your mother tells you to stay still when a bee flies up not because she's worried about you getting stung, but because the bee is on a mission. A mission to search you all over for bombs, contraband, what have you — anything it can sniff out.

Luckily for us, the little guys are securely taped down at the moment. A company called Inscentinel has been bribing bees with food to stick out their tongues when they detect certain smells. So far the bees have been trained to sniff out explosives, different drugs and foods as a camera keeps careful watch on whether or not their tongues pop out. Loaded onto a cartridge, the bees can be toted around in a handheld vapor detector and used in the field. If you keep looking at the picture above and worrying about the little detectors, Inscentinel reports on its site: "Bees are happy undertaking their sniffing tasks and are comfortable throughout, only healthy bees work effectively."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

will the bees have uniforms?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

yes but you cant see them because the bees have some tape over them to hold them down but dont worry a healty happy bee is a productive bee so no bees where harmed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

will the bees have uniforms?
    Yes, yellow and black hooped sweaters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

will they be allowed to take part in sting operations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Bambi wrote:

:D brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Well I suppose this is all okay as long as they don't start using sniffer dogs to replace bees... as I don't fancy tasting that honey much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Bambi wrote:

HA! I was wondering how long that would take 3rd post! someones on the ball for a friday afternoon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

User45701 wrote:
    HA! I was wondering how long that would take 3rd post! someones on the ball for a friday afternoon
    A veritable hive of activity.

God help the man smuggling sugar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

User45701 wrote:

and a friday afternoon that was preceded by a friday morning under general anasthetic..im damn sharp :cool:

Anyone for a the last of the quips about bee specials there now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

*swats a passing bee*
    Woops, that's six months of training down the drain

• Advertisement
Advertisement