Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plasterboard for bathroom

Options
  • 14-09-2007 5:05pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I am going to renovate an ensuite which is fully tiled at the moment. All tiles are coming off and after the last experience I had, I'm going to take down plasterboard + tiles in one go and re-slab. The last time I spent days getting all the old cement off and re-filling all the holes where the slab broke.

My question is this: can I get away with using the moisture-proof board in the wet areas (around shower) and normal board elsewhere.

Reason I'm asking is I already have slabs of each - just not enough MPB to do the full room.

Also is there any treatment required for the MPB - is the normal scrim and joint filler OK.

I will be full tiling the shower and half tiling the rest.

Appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭knighted

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

knighted wrote:
    How much would that BAL WP1 kit cost? I haven't seen it in any DIY stores I've been in, unless it's hidden somewhere.

I'll have 3 showers to tile in the coming months, I presume this stuff is a reasonable alternative to removing all plasterboard and replacing with MPB?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 hjsimpson

Use the green moisture resistant boards any where u are tiling and the other board where u are plastering/painting.
    Just tile directly onto the moisture slab, no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

We use a product called Classi Seal ,for baths and showers.
    It's expensive ,but your shower tray or bath won't leak if you use it.
    http://www.classic-marble.com/classi-seal.php

Any joining in the plasterboard or mpb ,we use silicone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

just use the ordinary slab where you arent tiling

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

I had a similar problem to yours. I replaced the plasterboard with 90mm marine ply before tiling (using suitable adhesive and grout). No problems 2 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭milmo

McSandwich,

I've just used marine ply in my ensuite walls.

Do I need to put a skim coat of plaster on the ply before tiling on them or will I get the tiler to tile directly on to the timber??

Thanks

Milmo

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Thanks for all the tips guys.

I'll use the MPB for the 2 walls in the shower corner and the normal slab for the rest.

I plan to tile with the Evo Stik flexi - expensive but hasn't let me down yet!

Any tips for the inside corner in the shower:

Was going to tape and fill the slabs with joint filler. After tiling, grout the join with (think it's called "fix-all") PU based compound.

_Brian_, that stuff looks good, do you buy it in the UK or is there a source here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

McSandwich wrote:
    I had a similar problem to yours. I replaced the plasterboard with 90mm marine ply before tiling (using suitable adhesive and grout). No problems 2 years later.

If you used 90mm, not surprised u have no problems:)

Advertisement