Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Problems fitting car radio into Jap import??

Options
  • 14-09-2007 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭

Recently bought a jap import Toyota. No car radio I have will fit the slot. The radio is about 3mm too wide and 6mm too high.

I was told by guy in car parts shop that all radios same standard size. He also then told me to cut the slot higher and wider with use of a stanley blade as the face is just plastic.

Any help before I butcher my baby??

Thanks,

Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

What make/model is the car, and what make/model is the radio?

Some cars have a double-din radio (Toyota Camry imports), some have odd fitments (BMW e39's, Ford Mondeos, FIATs) where you need to get adapter plates. Or there are cars like the Hyundai Accent that damn near need the dash taken apart to change the radio.

Don't cut the dash; if you ever want to sell the car or replace the radio again, it could end up costing you huge money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sundodger5

it sounds like you have a radio but are missing the "cage" that fits it in to the dash and holds it in place. only thing i can think of that would account for the difference in size.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

if it's just the case that you can't use the radio that came with the car, i think you can get frequency expander so you can get our stations...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Are you putting a single din into a doubledin or vice versa?As mentioned what car is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

cantdecide wrote:
    if it's just the case that you can't use the radio that came with the car, i think you can get frequency expander so you can get our stations...

Do they actually work?

I just googled frequency expander and the only ones available appear to be for Japanese imports. Do Japan and America use the same radio frequencies? I only ask because my stereo is American and I always wondered if there was a way of picking up Irish stations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I had a 1978 Ford Fiesta & had to cut the facia to fit a atandard din stereo. Won't effect the value if done correctly - stereo is going to remain there anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Nephew wrote:
    Do they actually work?

I just googled frequency expander and the only ones available appear to be for Japanese imports. Do Japan and America use the same radio frequencies? I only ask because my stereo is American and I always wondered if there was a way of picking up Irish stations.

A band expander wont do the same thing on a us radio,they use a different freq.

Its a shame really,i had a spanky pioneer radio from the states before but it was practically useless other than as a cd player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

The US use a similiar RM frequency range 85-108mhz as us but they use .2mhz allocation on the odd ends (ie 88.1 88.3 88.5), so its incompatible with europe.

OP - what model Toyota is it and year?

Sometimes Japanese car use 1 permanent cage behind the console to hold the headunit, cig lighter, ashtray and spare pocket bay. So, the head unit would actually screw into that cage and not use the ISO DIN security cage sleeve which comes with the headunit.

So.. try to slide the headunit in without the sleeve and if it fits, you will need to use short stub screws to screw it into the cage.

HTH
    James.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

some Toyotas like Corolla and Carina models have slightly smaller than DIN sized holes in the dash. usually on split systems where one hapf of the streo is high up in the dash and the other is down by the cig lighter.
    Toyotas usually have extra DIN slots down low in the dash.

Advertisement