Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

plc course

Options
  • 14-09-2007 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

im just curious could anyone give me advice on this please. im on disabilty due to a crash 2 years ago and am thinking of doing a part time course to get me out of the house, and re-train. now i was in college about 8 years ago and did a fetac level 5 then aswell.
    now i applied for a mature student grant and was denied it because of going to college all them years ago!!!. i would have to travel 65 miles per day to college and am still at home with my parents. has anybody any idea what i could do now as to help help financially for me going back to college since student grant is out of question

i have to retrain all over again as since the crash the job i was in is not suitable now due to my disability.

any help very much appreciated.
    thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Most third level colleges have have student support officers who would be able to give you advice as to what you would be entitled to.

Look up your nearest college and try giving one of them a ring. You may be too late for this year, though, but it's no harm in trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭squeky

thank you very much il give it a try. told the college im not allowed a grant and they didint seem to inform me about the disability fund that they have. i felt they should have informed me. so im travelling 40 approx miles to college every day with no financial help from anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

OP, if you are in receipt of a disability payment of any kind it might be worth talking to the Dept. of Social and Family Affairs (i.e. Social Welfare).

You want to talk to the local Facilitator for the Technical Assistance Fund ... there is usually one per county, roughly, though obviously if you're in Dublin it's probably organised quite differently.

I would be sure to gently insist on speaking to someone directly involved in administering the TAF ... in my experience, some of the frontline counter staff know very little about this particular scheme, and find it easy to say "no, you don't qualify", when in fact they are not always correct.

Advertisement