Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corrib Gasline Protests

Options
  • 14-09-2007 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭

Did anybody head up the protests today?
    Sorry I'll edit this since I'm being told I need to offer my opinion. My stance on the corrib is much like some of yours givin , the majority of the protestors do seem to be non-locals, I know a lad that was on the site and was talking to him yesterday and it got me pretty mad listening to his account of what happened.
    There was an unhealthy mix of Dublin Skangers lookin to take shots at Gardai, alot of British nationals and the typical know it all college hippies. By his accounts and he was standing two feet away from them so he's a good source, it was not a peaceful protest and he said the Gardai were great on the day...I didn't want to really offer an opinion on it and just wanted to see other peoples opinions on the matter because I think I might have a bias against the types of people that do protest and me offering my opinion would just start a big never ending moaning on their parts. Was more hoping for other people to be like minded to myself and despise the small contingent of people that seemingly jump at the chance of having yet another self righteous bullsh!t crusade

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

....and?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

and.....you've got really pretty hair?

its pretty self explanatory, just wanted to see how many if any amongst the people that post on the political form went to the protests today

Yeah but its not much of a thread starter! Seriously the OP is supposed to contain some opinion about a story rather than ask a 'hanging' question.

For whats its worth I don't see what the beef is about, it feels like STS are re-heating arguments for the sake of it.

/off to indymedia to see what the fight teh power/crusties think.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I wonder do they do it in shifts, or do they choose a different pointless protest each week - Tara last week, Corrib this week....?

There was a crusty on the RTE news pleading about non-violent protest. They were trying to force the gates open. Her argument was, "There are Gardai in there, and no cameras! We're trying to ensure that everyone's safe".

Yes, because the Gardai make a habit of randomly beating people when there are no cameras around :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭FYI

Seamus/Mike,

Are you happy to live in a state of complete ambivalence?

Do you understand the implications of the Corrib Gas project?

I agree this is not the most constructive thread starter, but this is a very serious issue, nationally and globally speaking.

If you are happy to condense it to a single incident of protest and arrest then so be it, but be open to the fact that this instant is nought but a cursory glimpse of the whole picture.

If it's boredom that brought you to this position, then those that have been making the argument have failed, because this is one of the most interesting and complex issues to happen in Ireland in decades.

Please keep an open mind, it'll be worth it, whether you find it a round trip or land somewhere else.

Best wishes, FYI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,367 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

FYI wrote:

No, tell me.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Indeed another 'hanging' question!

Looking at the pix, it seems like the treatment plant foundations are well underway and simply will not be stopped, by government, the courts, or STS. The only matter up for discussion is which of several routes the pipeline takes.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

FYI wrote:
    I wanna know too!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Rock Climber

It reminds me of those folks up the tree's in the glen of the downs years ago.
    Most of the protesters appear to be non locals.
    That about says it all.

[Mod hat on] Thread starter;what other posters told you regarding how to start threads in this political discussion forum is true.We are here to discuss political issues and require threads to be started with that in mind.
    Asking "did you go to this or that" does not conform to the requirements.

I'm leaving the thread open for now but please be wary of this in future.[/mod hat]

axer/silverharp,

There's healthy scepticism and then there's churlish cynicism.

If you find yourself the later group, then yours is a dull world.

If on the other hand you find yourself in the former group, the answer is out there on the world wide web. Lorna Siggins in the Irish Times might be a good place to start. And once you have uncovered the basics, try the Centre for Public Inquiry's report on the issue:

http://www.publicinquiry.ie/pdf/Fiosru_2_LOW_RES_Final.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

FYI wrote:
    And once you have uncovered the basics, try the Centre for Public Inquiry's report on the issue.

Translation:
    FYI wrote:
    And once you have read a single leftist Galway-based journalist on the issue, read a report by an organisation whose funding was withdrawn from its philanthropic donor.

I take Peter Cassells' views more seriously.

Regardless of your opinion on it, it's dead in the water. The courts, what this society needs for mediation, have decided it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

FYI wrote:
    Yes. I understand that this country's court have decided on it, that the bulk of local people are now happy with the project and that thos constructing the pipeline have in fact attempted to appease the protesters by moving the pipe.
    I also understand that almost all of the protesters are not from the local area, and many of them don't even live in Ireland.
    And now that roadway is one of the most beautiful routes in the country. We wouldn't have it now if they'd been allowed to continue protesting.
    My main issue with environmental protesters is that they tend to just protest against any and all changes, regardless of the factual impact on the local area.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,367 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Most of the protesters appear to be non locals.
    That about says it all.

It always annoyed me when English "crusties" always ended up part of the mix being interviewed, no doubt being social welfare tourists to boot.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

seamus wrote:
    Yes. I understand that this country's court have decided on it, that the bulk of local people are now happy with the project and that thos constructing the pipeline have in fact attempted to appease the protesters by moving the pipe. I also understand that almost all of the protesters are not from the local area, and many of them don't even live in Ireland.

Well much of what you 'understand' is wrong I'm afraid.

FYI wrote:
    Well much of what you 'understand' is wrong I'm afraid.

Well much of what you 'understand' is wrong I'm afraid:D

The influx in workers over the next few years is gonna generate a whole heap of money for alot of locals and towns int he surrounding areas. Granted some locals still don't like it but the majority do seem to.

mike65 wrote:
    Indeed another 'hanging' question!

Looking at the pix, it seems like the treatment plant foundations are well underway and simply will not be stopped, by government, the courts, or STS. The only matter up for discussion is which of several routes the pipeline takes.

Mike.

Could you post a link or tell me where you saw the pictures that show that? All Ive seen are pictures of a load of gardai and a few trucks

Wompa1 wrote:
    Well much of what you 'understand' is wrong I'm afraid:D

The influx in workers over the next few years is gonna generate a whole heap of money for alot of locals and towns int he surrounding areas. Granted some locals still don't like it but the majority do seem to.

A bit short sighted eh?

A 2 year money spinning operation. Well I'll be. Doesn't really address the fact that the majority of profits will flow directly from the client and out of Mayo. The locality will scavenge the dregs. All the while Shell and friends will reap billions. Put in fingers in your ears and your hands over your eyes, lalalalalalalalala....

Could you post a link or tell me where you saw the pictures that show that? All Ive seen are pictures of a load of gardai and a few trucks

I thought I saw them on indymedia but can't find them. Maybe I'm dreaming of Rossport these nights.

FYI the deal was done about 10 years back no? If it was going to be overtuned it would have happened by now.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Someone there posted a 'shock horror!!111! Gardai drag smash window and drag woman from van" youtube link , but just below it on the youtube page was the full version where she had driven at one of the gardai

mike65 wrote:
    FYI the deal was done about 10 years back no? If it was going to be overtuned it would have happened by now.

I think you're a few decades out I'm afraid Mike.

I think many people's current views will be tested in the event of a larger turn in the property market, then the 50 billion euro worth of gas will seem a little more important for the economy.

Oh and as an aside, anyone heard of global warming? Or are you all anti-science too?

• Advertisement

Yes, I'm anti-science.

Are you anti-property rights?

Ibid wrote:
    Yes, I'm anti-science.

Are you anti-property rights?

Depends, are you talking about CPOs, or geological sea bed blocks?

Hows that 'gravity' thing working out for you? Getting you down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Wompa1 wrote:
    Did anybody head up the protests today?
    Sorry I'll edit this since I'm being told I need to offer my opinion. My stance on the corrib is much like some of yours givin , the majority of the protestors do seem to be non-locals, I know a lad that was on the site and was talking to him yesterday and it got me pretty mad listening to his account of what happened.
    There was an unhealthy mix of Dublin Skangers lookin to take shots at Gardai, alot of British nationals and the typical know it all college hippies. By his accounts and he was standing two feet away from them so he's a good source, it was not a peaceful protest and he said the Gardai were great on the day...I didn't want to really offer an opinion on it and just wanted to see other peoples opinions on the matter because I think I might have a bias against the types of people that do protest and me offering my opinion would just start a big never ending moaning on their parts. Was more hoping for other people to be like minded to myself and despise the small contingent of people that seemingly jump at the chance of having yet another self righteous bullsh!t crusade

ah the unbiased workers point of view who despises them, yeah sure we'll take yous word on it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭lennox1

I know some relatives of Mayo people who were home from England on holidays and went to one of these protests.They went for the craic as they don't get a chance to do that in England and thought it would be good fun to shout insults at the Gardai and the workers, and to be part of a mob for a while.
    Funny thing is,they don't give a damn about the protest or the oil terminal.It can be built in the middle of O'Connell St for all they care.They enjoyed the craic and hope it will still be going on next summer when they come on holidays again! We live in a funny old world.:confused:

FYI wrote:
    Depends
    Well there's your problem. Generally speaking, if the courts acknowledge property rights I accept that decision.

Ibid wrote:
    Well there's your problem. Generally speaking, if the courts acknowledge property rights I accept that decision.

Well there's the problem. We're not speaking generally are we? Or are we?

Vagueness or vacuousness?

FYI wrote:
    Well there's the problem. We're not speaking generally are we? Or are we?

Vagueness or vacuousness?
    Wow, you have me convinced!

What an argument.

Ibid wrote:
    Wow, you have me convinced!

What an argument.

Well an argument usually begins with a coherent question, thought I'd leave that up to you.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Unless this thread starts to contain some coherent arguments PDQ, it's going to be locked. By "coherent arguments", I'm talking about the type of thing of which "you don't understand the issues" is the antithesis.

If you feel someone doesn't understand the issues, please explain them as you see them. If you don't feel like explaining, don't bother participating.

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote:
    Unless this thread starts to contain some coherent arguments PDQ, it's going to be locked. By "coherent arguments", I'm talking about the type of thing of which "you don't understand the issues" is the antithesis.

If you feel someone doesn't understand the issues, please explain them as you see them. If you don't feel like explaining, don't bother participating.

Thanks, I assume most of that is directed at me. But given you were happy to allow the thread to start with this:

"Was more hoping for other people to be like minded to myself and despise the small contingent of people that seemingly jump at the chance of having yet another self righteous bullsh!t crusade"

and unaccompanied by one single verifiable fact, then I must also assume you're happy to apply different standards to different people. It's pretty obvious this thread wasn't started to initiate discussion. I won't contribute again.

Advertisement