Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corrib Gasline Protests

Options
2»

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

FYI wrote:
    Thanks, I assume most of that is directed at me... I must also assume you're happy to apply different standards to different people.
    Both assumptions are incorrect.
    FYI wrote:
    It's pretty obvious this thread wasn't started to initiate discussion.
    That doesn't make it OK to participate without contributing anything useful.
    FYI wrote:
    I won't contribute again.
    Your call. If you change your mind, make sure your next contribution isn't a discussion of moderation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

seamus wrote:
    Yes, because the Gardai make a habit of randomly beating people when there are no cameras around :rolleyes:

Now myself and the good people of the Gardaí have not always got on the best in the past (on account of them being a pack of b*stards) so please excuse if my post comes across as a tad partisan.

No, the cops rarely beat people at random, but they do beat people on a regular basis. I was at one of the above protests in Corrib where I saw a young cop aggressively push a middle aged woman to the ground while her back was turned. One of them also tried to take a swing at my good self over the roof of a car of which we were at opposite sides. But don't worry lads, he missed (sharp words were exchanged however). There is definitely a culture of violence and cover-up within the Gardaí, and they are very quick with their fists, phone books and batons when they want to be.

FTA69 wrote:
    I was at one of the above protests in Corrib where I saw a young cop aggressively push a middle aged woman to the ground while her back was turned.
    She, of course, was simply standing there minding her own business when this fascist pig assaulted her for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

Right?

Or is this similar to the visuals of Maura Harrington being dragged out of her car, leaving out the minor detail that she had just driven her car at the gardaí?

She, of course, was simply standing there minding her own business when this fascist pig assaulted her for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

It was after the last occupation (the one before this one) of the construction site, we were departing the site and as we left the gates the cops went mad and started agressively pushing everyone toward the ditch opposite the main gates, in order to "clear the road". Now personally, while disagreeing with such I fully expected it as we all ran in the back gate via the pipe-line route and the cops were wound up completely by us having a peaceful stand around the site. Such to the point where police sitting in a bus were pointing at us and rasing fists. As I said, I expected a bit of a manhandling. However this woman was about 55 (a local as it happens), with her back turned and in the general argy bargy outside this spotty pig sent her flying even though she was actually moving off the road at the time.

Believe it or not OB, not every cop is good and not every protester is a nutter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Slightly less edited version of it
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=hC0GMc9gqp4

• Advertisement

FTA69 wrote:
    Believe it or not OB, not every cop is good and not every protester is a nutter.
    Ironically, I'm not the one who has expressed a blanket opinion on all Gardaí.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

oscarBravo wrote:
    Zing.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The only problem I have with the corrib gas project is the fact a certain governments actions in gifting our natural resources away to companies like Shell mean we as a country will not get the revenues from this resource that we should be.

The rest of the it is just Nimbyism at its worst as is typical for this country like the crowd protesting against the incinerator in Sandymount.

True, I won't deny the fact I'm not a fan of cops.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

ah the unbiased workers point of view who despises them, yeah sure we'll take yous word on it...
    Well firstly he only drives up there the odd time but yeah he wouldn't be unbiased cus everytime he's stopped from getting on site it adds a few hours to his work day...work, something many of the people protesting up there have never tried....that and showering

As for the argument that I couldn't start the thread with a my little "bullsh!t crusade" rant, I didn't originally post that, I was only curious to see how many people that use these forums were actively protesting up there and was then told I needed to post my opinion, so I did and that was it.

On a different note, my grandparents take a walk every morning cus my grandfather has a bad heart, they use to own a garage and so my grandmother just happened to have a really old Shell cap which she decided to wear for her walk this morning...as they were passing a man hitch hiking on the road, the man snarled at my grandmother to "take that cap off!"...my grandmother is a 76 years old frail lady!...My grandfathers 78 and even more frail but he took no time in lighting a fire under the young crustys ass!...my grandfather actually didn't have an opinion on the matter before the incident, I haven't asked him what his stance is now but knobends like these can't be helping the cause!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

so still the height of your criticism is smelly hippies get a job,wow if thats the depth of critique from the pro shell side no wonder the cops can continue their policy of beating people rather then arresting them

I'm going to introduce a "no sweeping generalisations" rule on this thread. That means no "protesters are lazy unwashed hippies" posts, and no "cops are fascist pigs who get a kick out of beating old ladies up" posts. No more warnings.

and no "cops are fascist pigs who get a kick out of beating old ladies up" posts

I never said that all. Not for a second. What I said was that I personally saw one Garda push an auld one to the ground, not that all of them are "fascist pigs".

I called the Gardai a "pack of bastards", which isn't necessarily a criticism of every single 5-O, rather the organisation they work for.
    Well firstly he only drives up there the odd time but yeah he wouldn't be unbiased cus everytime he's stopped from getting on site it adds a few hours to his work day.

Good. If he's any decency he'll quit.
    work, something many of the people protesting up there have never tried

Really. I stayed up there for a week. I also do 65 hours a week in East London, which is probably more than you.

FTA69 wrote:
    I never said that all. Not for a second. What I said was that I personally saw one Garda push an auld one to the ground, not that all of them are "fascist pigs".

I called the Gardai a "pack of bastards", which isn't necessarily a criticism of every single 5-O, rather the organisation they work for.
    It's still a sweeping generalisation, so please refrain, ta.
    FTA69 wrote:
    I also do 65 hours a week in East London, which is probably more than you.
    That's called getting personal. Don't do that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Really. I stayed up there for a week. I also do 65 hours a week in East London, which is probably more than you.[/QUOTE]

Nope, I didn't take a week off so I worked 78 hours over two weeks ;) Stay in East London please..65 hours a week is alot innit!!!?, you should protest your employer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

is the gards stated published policy not to arrest trespassers etc at the sites in rossport, I haven't heard any of protestors makes statement on how many showers they take a week, so how do you think they deal with them?

Wompa1 wrote:
    Nope, I didn't take a week off so I worked 78 hours over two weeks ;)

Blah blah, the point remains not all protesters are hippies.
    Stay in East London please

Why? And I live in North London anyway. Geez.
    ..65 hours a week is alot innit!!!?, you should protest your employer

Nah, I might get beaten up by the police.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Panda Moanium

FTA69 wrote:
    There is definitely a culture of violence and cover-up within the Gardaí, and they are very quick with their fists, phone books and batons when they want to be.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt....Ow! Bloody phone book full of words....:rolleyes:

Advertisement