Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the bigger caliber a swift or a 22 250

Options
  • 14-09-2007 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭

just curious because my mate just bought a swift i taught the 22 250 would be a better job and half the price for ammo, or even a .223 or a .204 i just think the swift is a mad price for ammo.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

pm. wrote:
    just curious because my mate just bought a swift i taught the 22 250 would be a better job and half the price for ammo, or even a .223 or a .204 i just think the swift is a mad price for ammo.

They're both the same calibre unless I'm mistaken. Each is .22, it's what's behind them that makes the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Here you go, all carefully robbed from http://ammoguide.com-
    22-250 Remington

22250pz9.jpg

220 Swift
    220swiftfm9.jpg

Side by side
    22250220swiftimagemj6.jpg

Statistical Comparisons
    22250220swiftstatsey3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

So they're the same calibre then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

rrpc wrote:
    So they're the same calibre then :D

yes they are the same calibre as a .22 lr.

The swift would do slight more damage as a swift, i have a swift but i wouldn't buy one again they cost a fortune. i'd go for a .223 if i was to buy a rifle again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 am i bovvered?

E@gle. wrote:

The swift would do slight more damage as a swift,

?,I guess you mean the 22/250 would do more damage than the swift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

sorry i miss quoted myself there, i meant that the swift is probaly the most powerful of the 2

The 22/250 is supposed to exert more energy,thats why it is deer legal and the swift is not.The technical stuff is over my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

The 22/250 is supposed to exert more energy,thats why it is deer legal and the swift is not.The technical stuff is over my head.

As far as I know, 220 swift with 55 grain bullet is technically deer legal, at least on paper ?

As far as I know, 220 swift with 55 grain bullet is technically deer legal, at least on paper ?

I can understand it may well be but the department don't recognise it and could land you in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

E@gle. wrote:

. i'd go for a .223 if i was to buy a rifle again

i dont know about that, i just got a .223 and im not 100% happy with it, the accuracy is not as good as the hornet i hand but the ammo is a good price. did anyone else find that the .223 isn't as accurate as they would hope for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sixpointfive

depend on what rifle/scope/ammo you using, i have a tikka t3 tactocal with nightforce scope and hornady 55gr ballistic tips and it is fantastic, more accurate than you would believe

thats t3 tactical actually:D

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

Excellent post rovi the swift out performs the 22.250 in the velocity department big time i would think there is not much in the difference in the price of ammo also the swift seems to have a lot more muzzle energy even with the lighter 50gr bullet.
    As for pm i would not be so quick to but down poor accuracy to the size of the calibre i can get 1" groups all day with my t3 tactical at 150yrds i have seen a c.z 223 that can get the same if not even better results accuracy wise,as for power .223 will kill foxes humainly every time with slightly cheaper ammo than the other two.Just my opinion but i guess im getting a bit off topic:D

I can understand it may well be but the department don't recognise it and could land you in court.

Not suggesting to use it on deer, as stated it isn't authorised by Ducas, few of our local shooters are telling me 223 is eer legal now. anyone confirm ?

pm. wrote:
    i dont know about that, i just got a .223 and im not 100% happy with it, the accuracy is not as good as the hornet i hand but the ammo is a good price. did anyone else find that the .223 isn't as accurate as they would hope for?

Had a Sako 75 in 223. Had to buy hornady or remmy accutip to get any kind of decent accuracy. Cheaper ammo eg €10-€12 per box was very poor accuracy eg 2"-3" at 100 yds

dee legal?? i wouldnt think so, the 22/250 is not legal in most other european countries for heavy deer fallow/red only for muntjac and roe in some places
    i personally think 22/250 legal for red deer is madness although i have used it on red and fallow and it will do the business i think 243 should be minimum and that is not legal for big animals in europe

dee legal?? i wouldnt think so, the 22/250 is not legal in most other european countries for heavy deer fallow/red only for muntjac and roe in some places
    i personally think 22/250 legal for red deer is madness although i have used it on red and fallow and it will do the business i think 243 should be minimum and that is not legal for big animals in europe

Agree, I heard Duchas are advising newcomers to go minumim 243 for deer shooting. 22/250 is still legal here though, but these felloews using 223 are definately waffling, not to mention poaching ?

definatley, the 223 will do the biz but legally it doesnt meet the criteria for energy and all that, ther is unfortunatley loads of experts who will tell you what is legal and what is not but unless it is in black and white print it IS NOT LEGAL. ther are alot of poachers using 223/swift around too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

Had a Sako 75 in 223. Had to buy hornady or remmy accutip to get any kind of decent accuracy. Cheaper ammo eg €10-€12 per box was very poor accuracy eg 2"-3" at 100 yds

yeah thats what im finding with the cheaper rounds, i haven't bought the more expensive ammo yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 176 ✭✭Leupold

The real issue as regards ballistics, if you are looking at shooting deer, is the way the energy is delivered on the target. This is defined as terminal ballistics.
    Internal ballistics is what happens after the shot is fired but before the bullet leaves the barrel. External ballistics is the science of what happens when the bullet is in the air before arriving at the target. Internal ballistics is concerned, inter alia, with case size, shape, etc., powder burning rates,etc.. External ballistics is concerned with bullet shape, initial speed, angles etc..Terminal ballistics is concerned with bullet shape and construction and the type of target.
    The problem with both the Swift and the 22/250. is that whilst they might have enough energy to humanely kill a deer sized animal at up to 300 metres, the factory loads available are limited to bullets of up to 50 or 55 grain weight , with thin skins and hollow points, designed to kill vermin. This type of bullet effectively disintegrates on the skin and does not usually penetrate to damage vital organs. The 5.6 x 57 was a way around this problem while still remaining a "22" caliber, back when no "full bores" were allowed. This fired a 74 grain bullet with a thick case designed for animals such as deer. The other factor which affects this debate is the twist rate of the rifling. The Swift and the 22/250 usually use a twist rate of 1 in 14 , which is fine for bullets of .224 calibre up to 60 grain weight. The 74 grain weight RWS bullet used in the 5.6 x 57 needed a 1 in 10 rifling twist . So the short answer is that you should not shoot deer with a calibre which does not allow you to use the right type of bullet.
    For vermin shooting my view is that the 22/250 is more accurate than the swift and does not burn out barrels as fast as the swift.

• Advertisement

The swift doesn't burn out barrels as fast as it did I thought ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

In 1935 when Winchester first introduced the .220 Swift metallurgy and barrel technology left something to be desired re the .220's screaming velocity. Modern barrels are much less prone to burnout and if one uses a 3700 -3900 fps cartridge barrel life is excellent. Even shooting 4300fps cartridges in modern, quality, heavy barrel is not a problem.
    Winchester’s original load, was a 48-grain bullet capable of producing (4100 fps) in a 220 Swift .
    With bullets 40 to 53-grains there is no noticeable difference between a 22.250 and a .220 . Using heavier bullets, 55 to 60+-grains, the 220 Swift will out perform the 22-250 Remington.

Heavier bullets can reach as much as 200 fps or more over the same bullet in a 22-250 Remington. This added velocity results in a flatter trajectory, an inch or more in some cases. It seems the wind is always blowing and drift is a real issue with 22 caliber bullets. Bullets in the 55 to 60+-gains aren’t as affected by wind.

In 1935 when Winchester first introduced the .220 Swift metallurgy and barrel technology left something to be desired re the .220's screaming velocity. Modern barrels are much less prone to burnout and if one uses a 3700 -3900 fps cartridge barrel life is excellent. Even shooting 4300fps cartridges in modern, quality, heavy barrel is not a problem.
    Winchester’s original load, was a 48-grain bullet capable of producing (4100 fps) in a 220 Swift .
    With bullets 40 to 53-grains there is no noticeable difference between a 22.250 and a .220 . Using heavier bullets, 55 to 60+-grains, the 220 Swift will out perform the 22-250 Remington.

Heavier bullets can reach as much as 200 fps or more over the same bullet in a 22-250 Remington. This added velocity results in a flatter trajectory, an inch or more in some cases. It seems the wind is always blowing and drift is a real issue with 22 caliber bullets. Bullets in the 55 to 60+-gains aren’t as affected by wind.

Extremely informative, a quote or your opinion ?

Mostly my own opinion and some gleaned from other shooters and of course reading. I have two rifles chambered for the .220, an older Mauser action with a 26' barrel and double set triggers with about 250 rounds down the barrel and a modern Rem action, heavy barrel with 700 plus cartridges fired. They will shoot the eyes out of a flea at 100 meters. :D

Mostly my own opinion and some gleaned from other shooters and of course reading. I have two rifles chambered for the .220, an older Mauser action with a 26' barrel and double set triggers with about 250 rounds down the barrel and a modern Rem action, heavy barrel with 700 plus cartridges fired. They will shoot the eyes out of a flea at 100 meters. :D

My brother has a remmy VSSF in 220 swift, excellent shooter, thinking of shifting 204 for one, yea it's that good, had swift before, ruger sporter, was accurate (1" at 100yds) but remmy is more accurate 9half inch at 100 yards), which i didn't think was possible with swift

Advertisement