Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line Connected Today - Line Checker Says No?

Options
  • 14-09-2007 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭

Evening all,

I'm just after signing the lease to a lovely new apartment in Youghal.

I contacted Eircom today and, surprisingly; they connected my telephone line in a matter of minutes.

Now; I don't know how internet line checkers work, but, none of them say that my phone line is capable of broadband.

Is this due to the fact that my line has only been connected and that Eircom themselves have yet to register the account on their system..or is the line shagged?

The apartment is only a stone's through away from the main street. The internet cafe is across that street.

I know it's a little premature to ask these questions though I don't tend to trust Tech Support advisors well. They've let me down in the past.

Thanking you.

-A man who needs BB for a living!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Evening all,

I'm just after signing the lease to a lovely new apartment in Youghal.

I contacted Eircom today and, surprisingly; they connected my telephone line in a matter of minutes.

Now; I don't know how internet line checkers work, but, none of them say that my phone line is capable of broadband.

Is this due to the fact that my line has only been connected and that Eircom themselves have yet to register the account on their system..or is the line shagged?

The apartment is only a stone's through away from the main street. The internet cafe is across that street.

I know it's a little premature to ask these questions though I don't tend to trust Tech Support advisors well. They've let me down in the past.

Thanking you.

-A man who needs BB for a living!

As far as we know Eircom do their checks monthly so it could be a few weeks before your line tests show up on the test database. I am not sure if ordering BB from Eircom would speed up that process!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Ahh..So Eircom test all new lines on an interval basis?

That's odd. I must have been one of the lucky few when my line went live in my old apartment!

I guess it makes sense that they couldn't check lines in real time..

Has this happened to anyone else here before?

Ahh..So Eircom test all new lines on an interval basis?

That's odd. I must have been one of the lucky few when my line went live in my old apartment!

I guess it makes sense that they couldn't check lines in real time..

Has this happened to anyone else here before?

No they check all lines on an interval basis so new lines get added to the test data base as they are picked up as being live.

This is a frequent topic for posting on here:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

your phone number is either new or used to be used in a non bb area

so your old apartment migh have been passing from day 1, but in fact you were going by the condition of the number's previous owners line

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

if there is a line in situ you are left on soft dial tone which basically means you can be switched on remotely for telephony.

For BB this requires a separate test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Surprisingly I logged onto Eircom.ie today to discover that I can indeed get broadband on the line.

I was e-mailed my Eircom account number shortly thereafter and I gave BT a call. 2MB here I come.

Thank you all.

Surprisingly I logged onto Eircom.ie today to discover that I can indeed get broadband on the line.

I was e-mailed my Eircom account number shortly thereafter and I gave BT a call. 2MB here I come.

Thank you all.

Watch your bills!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

dub45 wrote:
    Watch your bills!

good point

why did you join BT?

OP when you get your bill* ring the bank and cancel the direct debit, then work out how much you should have been charged and send them a cheque

* i'm assuming they will overcharge (BTW ... first bill should be 4 months rental)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I'm pretty sure eircom check the lines on the 15th of every month, so that would be why it passed since yesterday. You were lucky you got the line connected just before they do the test, otherwise you'd be waiting a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

jor el wrote:
    I'm pretty sure eircom check the lines on the 15th of every month, so that would be why it passed since yesterday. You were lucky you got the line connected just before they do the test, otherwise you'd be waiting a month.

Or you could ring them up and ask them to test it and it will take a week. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Back when the Netsource checker gave the information, the test date was mentioned. Random dates, even for numbers on smaller exchanges.

It depends on what exchange you're connected to when it comes to the timing of the first test. Some engineers might test it immediately and some may do it when they have the time in the days ahead. I don't think there's a company-mandated policy beyond saying that a line must be checked once per month.

The best thing to do is to ask the linesman while the line's being connected/installed to test it as soon as he can.

Advertisement